• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-21 The Current Ask Supes

Gray Mule

• Premium Member

Fwiw... I was country when country wasn't cool... copy-and-paste of one of my first posts on that topic/player, from my self-exile days on RealGM last fall...

He is the quintessential perfect acquisition for ATL, imo, both from the perspective of what he brings to the starting line-up (a proven top-tier talent) and from the perspective that he is, indeed, potentially "get-able" for the very reasons that IND has reasons to be concerned.

Everything Schlenk has told us about his priorities points to a top priority of identifying and luring a veteran elite player to this roster at this stage, and given the practicalities of Collins' contract, Young's contract, our cap space, the inventory of players available in free agency this and next summer, and the perceived likelihood of attracting an elite player to ATL based on history being virtually nil... there almost can be no question but that acquiring Oladipo is Schlenk's most promising hope in an otherwise mostly empty field of dreams.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Here is my thought on Oladipo as a big add that will want a huge contract in the offseason:

Oladipo 2020-21

.399% FG%

.316% 3pt%

.499% TS%

:barf:

Huerter 2020-21

.429% FG%

.369% 3pt%

.546% TS%

Dipo's Career Isn't Presenting a Great Case Either:

.438% FG%

.348% 3pt%

.538% TS%

History of Injury Problems

Oladipo has the skillset we want if he can stay healthy.  His numbers will look dramatically better playing alongside Trae.  He's been getting back into shape and playing with complete bums this season... he was amazing in the playoffs (2018?) before his injury.  If he can return to that form and stay healthy, I'd say he's worth it, but that's a pretty big IF

21 minutes ago, sturt said:

Fwiw... I was country when country wasn't cool... copy-and-paste of one of my first posts on that topic/player, from my self-exile days on RealGM last fall...

I remember you being on that hill. Oladipo play of late like Kevin has caused this spike. Oladipo was having a tough time finding decent suitors. 

• Moderators
Just now, JeffS17 said:

Oladipo has the skillset we want if he can stay healthy.  His numbers will look dramatically better playing alongside Trae.  He's been getting back into shape and playing with complete bums this season... he was amazing in the playoffs (2018?) before his injury.  If he can return to that form and stay healthy, I'd say he's worth it, but that's a pretty big IF

Why will he shoot so much better alongside of Trae?  He just isn't a particularly good shooter.  Can he stay healthy?  

Let me ask you, do you feel lucky?  In 2 of the last 4 seasons he has played 27 and 36 games.  He has played 73 games once in the last six years.  He has already missed time this season with injury problems.

I am a hard pass.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

And just like with Milwaukee, that would be a big mistake playing the city and team cheap. You think it was worth it for them in the end to lose Brogdan just to have to trade assets to acquire Jrue because they missed having a dynamic PG on the roster?

Think about this instead of just paying Malcolm 4yrs 85 mil, it cost them 2 1sts, 2 more 1st pick swaps, Bledsoe AND George Hill just to acquire Jrue Holiday.

People say there is fear in overpaying a guy. But you end up overpaying in the end anyways trying to add from the outside. Better to retain and go over the cap, than have to jettison multiple assets down the line for someone that is marginally better if not virtually the same player.

It's not that I agree or disagree, I am saying, don't be shocked. All indications is that they want to resign him as for now. 

Any GM worth their salt is going to do their due diligence and gauge interest from the outside. I dont think its wise however to go "All in" this year though when the team you put together in the offseason hasn't had a chance to max out it's potential and yet you are still showing signs of improvement deep in to the season.

Trading Kev for an expiring vet (even if they claim they would re sign) seems a little hasty when we could potentially go after said player in the offseason anyway. Travis may have seen all he needs to see from this group, but I'm really interested in letting things play out on the big stage and see exactly where we measure up before we go in to panic mode.

Edited by RedDawg#8

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Why will he shoot so much better alongside of Trae?  He just isn't a particularly good shooter.  Can he stay healthy?  

Let me ask you, do you feel lucky?  In 2 of the last 4 seasons he has played 27 and 36 games.  He has played 73 games once in the last six years.  He has already missed time this season with injury problems.

I am a hard pass.

No, I don't feel lucky lol Dipo isn't elite enough to take the injury risk.  Him getting injured could ruin our rebuild.  I'd rather keep investing in Heurter and Cam for now unless someone like Lavine starts demanding a trade.  Iwas just saying IF he was guaranteed healthy, I can see the argument but I don't think we need to take gambles right now on injury-ridden players.

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, sturt said:

Should have added... not that I necessarily advocate trading for Dipo at this stage, mainly b/c we've invested so heavily in BogBog already and b/c we've got 3 wing defenders on the cusp of getting back from injury. There is a more pressing issue (vet big).

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It's not that I agree or disagree, I am saying, don't be shocked. All indications is that they want to resign him as for now. 

I was prepared for you to tear me a new one lol Thanks for the calm response haha

• Haha 1

Atlanta says they are in for Kevin but he's been on the block at times for nearly a year if the price is very high of the player they are bringing back in a trade. 

Oladipo has been a mix bag this year. That said, I've watched all Houston games. In the last ten games, he is just different and looking like all star Oladipo. That's a player Atlanta been wanting. Some who can put pressure on the basket. The thing is, when Hunter is back, touches will get limited again for Huerter. With Oladipo, Nate can play his multiple guard lineup like he did in Indiana. 

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, sturt said:

Should have added... not that I necessarily advocate trading for Dipo at this stage, mainly b/c we've invested so heavily in BogBog already and b/c we've got 3 wing defenders on the cusp of getting back from injury. There is a more pressing issue (vet big).

I'll just add to this.

If it were all about the shooting/scoring at SG, then you'd want Beal, not Oladipo.

It's not.

Oladipo would have plausibly been (ie, before the draft) an ideal addition... ideal complementary piece to Trae... "plausibly" because it always is a question of what you have to give up in order to get.

Im as hard on Kev as anyone, particularly for his clinical aversion to the rim, so the prospect of penetrating wings that draw contact does peak my interest, and I do think we need to add that element at some point. And I also have been on the sell high bandwagon for trading Kev. But I don't want us to panic when we are still approaching our potential and Kev has been a key glue guy to this unit. Dre's return, as well as the addition of Dunn, to me, represents about as much improvement as we could realistically expect from any trade thats been proposed. I say let the team play.

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Bogi has a NTC for his year. FYI. 

Are you sure about this?  I know that if the Kings had matched the offer, there is an applied NTC for 1 year, this same rule does not apply to the Hawks as the team that offered the contract.  Or is this a real NTC written into his contract?

Just asking for clarity.

• Like 1