• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-21 The Current Ask Supes

Gray Mule

• Premium Member
On 3/19/2021 at 12:37 PM, sturt said:

To the general conversation about trading deadline and roster movement...

Comes down to what's the goal(?).

(A) To get to the expanded (#7-#10) playoffs?

Stand pat.

(B) To get to the real playoffs?

Probably can stand pat, but upon Dunn's return, give some serious consideration to dropping the 4th PG on the roster (Goodwin), in favor of some veteran big who only costs a vet minimum salary.

We've only had 5 legitimate bigs on the 15-man all season, and conventionally speaking, you should have 6.

Right now, you have only one true, reliable, playoff-caliber center on the roster. Beyond him, you have three centers (one of them a two-way who probably profiles better as a PF, truth be told) with less than 82 games experience, and two PFs who can take some occasional minutes there, though you really don't want to do that any more than you have to.

Meanwhile, you've got 4 PGs plus a two-way PG. Only 2 of those normally would get much time ordinarily, but the GM has been explicit in saying that a 3rd (Dunn) will be a candidate to get some floor time as a SG.

You've got 6 wings, in addition to part-timer Dunn, and most of those have been starters or part-time starters for much of their careers. Rotation-wise only 4 of those should expect to be part of the regular rotation, with at most a cameo appearance at times by a 5th (particularly given part-timer Dunn's presence).

(C) To get to the real playoffs and win a series?

Can't stand pat. Playoff ball demands that you have some stronger, reliable rim defense, and not just from the starters.

Conclusion?

Me, I'm not sure which one of the three is the true goal. The GM's actions or lack thereof on or before March 25 will certainly send a strong message.

Question seemingly answered...

It was "A" all along.

Not real happy with that b/c I really thought we might make some noise this post-season, which in turn, could create some momentum for next.

There does remain the possibility, of course, that Schlenk conceivably could fill the void behind Capela with one of the anticipated buyout bigs.

And, there does remain the possibility that Dunn does indeed come back 100%, which gives us a true back-up PG after all... it's just hard to feel good about that until we actually see him back on the court.

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Reddick to the Mavs is such a Mavs move.  I'll be shocked if they don't sign L. Markkanen  and McDermott in the offseason.

Sorry, it just seems strange to me.

Mavs are the 1988 Milwaukee Bucks, new age. Where’s Steve Henson and Lohaus? Danny Schayes, Sikma? 🤦🏾‍♂️ 

In the end, Schlenk went with Rondo in hopes of him being a leader. Paid him for half a season; then picked up two 2nds and Lou for the trouble. Its not a bad flip in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

If my memory is correct, he was on his way to sweeping the 1st seed Celtics in the first round just 4 years ago before going down to injury as a member of the Bulls. 

That's a good call although 'sweeping' maybe a little strong.  they won the first two games and then lost 4 without Rondo.   

I'm really not trying to knock the guy but prior to the bubble last year Rondo played in 13 playoff games in the previous 6 years.   Not sure exactly but i think around half or less of those were wins.   

He wasn't working for us.  We owed him money next year.  Seems like he wanted out.    I don't see this as a crushing blow at all.   He's been not even ok as a hawk.  He's been bad.  

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

will he? TS said he'll play twoards the end of March - we got 6 days.

No telling but I’m trying to be positive  

They’re tight lipped sometimes too. I’m just hoping it will be two weeks or less and we hopefully hear something soon. 

• Like 2

Means the Hawks technically saved $250k in the deal off the cap number this year and $7.5 million next year.

Nate Duncan: Of note, Clippers will lose $250k vs the hard cap in the Rondo/LouWill trade. Rondo’s cap number was $7.5m and Lou’s $8.0m, but his $750k in incentives count vs hard cap as well.

11 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

How dare they sign White players!! Racists!!

All of them, tho?  Seems weird.

4 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Oh god I forgot, Lou and the strip clubs. 🤦‍♀️ Geez a Lou!

Not too late to edit your post to say "Geez Louise".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

So is Lou actually going to play for us? Wasn't he threatening to retire if he got traded to Atlanta? 

Hope Dunn is truly healthy and ready to go. 

I think he was only willing to stay in LA or go home to Atlanta 

• Thanks 1