• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-21 The Current Ask Supes

Gray Mule

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, sturt said:

This is my one disappointment with this draft, but it feels hyper critical to say so.... ie, part of the ingenuity that kept SAS relevant for as long as they were is they were arguably the most aggressive Eurostash team for lo those many years. For a team that expects to be drafting late for a few years, accumulating some extra 2nd rounders and using those to pick up some European developmental pieces ends up acting as a supplement year after year as those fruits ripen.

I haven't studied this draft to know who the draft and stashes to know the viability of going that route. We have a plethora of 2nds over the next few years to use in that capacity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, thescout said:

Collins had his moments in the playoffs good and bad. There were times when the Bucks just dominated  the Hawks on the boards. Where was Collins? Both Capella and JC you didn't even think they were on the floor vs the Bucks who got 2nd,3rd etc shots. Scoring wise games where JC was invisible . The man's almost 7 ft where's his post up game? Get a steady jump shot. If the Hawks are going to pay this kind of money then JC needs to take his game to another level. There are to many players that sign the big contract and don't play up to it. Generally what you see is what you get from players. I hope JC improves and like all the Hawks work on your #%%@ free throws. How many points were thrown away by not making a free throw. 

Collins was fine in the playoffs!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Yea, but the problem with having the whole core on their second contract is we will not be able to afford to bring in quality vets, like we did with Gallo and Bogi. 

Hopefully, our guys will be those high level quality vets while on their second contracts. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Mind you, I'm not advocating for trades and I want to keep this core together as long as we can.  However, it's already been put out there that we might not (probably will not) be able to keep all of our talent.

Can we stop playing this broken record over and over and over!

broken-record-gif-1.gif

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Can we stop playing this broken record over and over and over!

broken-record-gif-1.gif

You lost me.  What broken record?  Talking about trading guys? Ressler's comments about not being able to keep everybody?  I'm not sure what's been said "over and over."

I'm just putting it out there that I personally believe we'll be looking to package some of this talent rather than trying to pay everyone - and that we'll likely come out of it no worse off than before...but with a legitimate star.  Literally happens year in and year out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Whether one believes it's intentional or not, there's been a fairly obvious philosophical comparison to be made between how Schlenk's previous team progressed toward championship contention and how this one has.

Hence, I honestly believe that Schlenk envisions a team where he's developed his own superstars, and will only trade out if he gets an offer he can't refuse.

Every time someone talks about the Hawks not being prepared to keep guys, it's outside speculation... probably a lot of the same people who also would have told you in the past that Trae Young posts empty stats and will never amount to much.

Do I believe reports that Schlenk listened for Cam offers this time? Sure. "Listened." And to be honest, this team largely got to where it got this season without Cam, so while it would have been disappointing, Cam's not objectively been a part of the actual real-life on-the-court core success. At least, not just yet. There was a price at which there could have been an offer Schlenk couldn't refuse, but it didn't happen.

I probably would feel a whole lot less certain of my conclusion here except that Ressler has said publicly what he's said. As long as this team is producing ample reason to believe it's a contender, he's committed to paying tax. At that point that it's not, then business decisions will have to be made. But for now, we're on this side of what we have reason to anticipate will be the best ride of our Hawks fan lives.

So, consolidation trades? It's not really part of the DNA of our GM, and practically every one of our core is still at an upward trajectory. And there's really just not that much of an impressive array of expensive difference makers you'd want anyhow, in my opinion. Not persuaded that's happening, at least unless/until we've won our first title, and we're trying to figure out ways to stay at the top.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

You know the same ole tired name will be mentioned like Bradley Beal Etc

So...

Spoiler

I HATE THE IDEA OF PAIRING TRAE YOUNG WITH BRADLEY BEAL WITH EVERY OUNCE OF HATRED IN MY BODY AND I WANT TO LEAVE NO EFFING DOUBT ABOUT WHERE I STAND ON THAT.  IT'S THE MOST MORONIC NON-FIT OF A PLAYER THAT I CAN THINK OF.

I'm not "itching" to trade as I was prior to the season.  It's different now that we've seen a taste of how good this team can truly be.  Very different.  That being said, I'm only being realistic about potential trades *edit* or rather the possibility of a blockbuster trade(s) in our furture.  We don't know who the next disgruntled star is who wants a trade.   Zion?  Luka?  We don't know who will be the next rising star looking to get paid ala Joe Johnson or John Collins?  We don't know.  I'm only saying that WE HAVE A SURPLUS OF TALENT and I'm sure that Travis is looking at how to most efficiently manage it.  Forget WHO we might trade for and understand that we are primed for a blockbuster with all this talent and payroll that we'll have to manage for it.

Specific players @Spud2nique?  Again, *disclaimer*: I am in a MUCH different mode now and very much content with riding this team out.  But if I'm throwing names out there that come up in my daydreams...I have a lot.

Big dreams:
I've honestly got my eyes on the Zion situation.  What they do over the next couple of seasons will be something to watch (plus he was tapping on our podium during the lottery...man....lol).  I'm eyeballing the TWolves and KAT.  Wondering how things are going to shake out in Boston and I bought a Jaylen Brown lottery scratch-off - meaning it'll probably go in the trash, but you never know lol.

Fading dreams:
I still have a slight interest in Zach Lavine, but our playoff run has me putting water on that fire.  That and the size Cam has grown along with how good his shot looked and the fact that we have a good coach now means I'm willing to ride things out at the 2.    That Jaren Jackson trade rumor a while ago was interesting to me - where they saw JC as a better roll-man for Morant... Just INTERESTED in watching how JJJ progresses...I'm not hollering trade JC ya'll lol.  In the same way, interested in how Siakam plays out in Toronto.  Vucivic was on my radar before the season and before the Bulls traded for him....and before Capela was like, "Look at me! I am the captain of the paint now!"  Jerami Grant is a guy that I was SUPER high on and wanted to sign in the off season.  Hunter's progression has cooled me off on him.

Weird dreams:
Ben Simmons (*ducks all the tomatoes, rocks, knives, and covers ears to quiet the deafening chorus of boos*)...  Disgusting contract and psychological block over his shooting aside, it's an intriguing idea to me having him at the 3/4.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Weird dreams:

Let's just not go there, please. For you or me, maybe it's okay, but there are some around these parts that you really don't want them to pick up on that theme with any transparency.

😉

• Haha 2