• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Definitive Trae Young Write Up--Maybe the best that has been written on him so far

Wurider05

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Also holy moly whoever compiled all this data and wrote up the article. Whoever it is deserves to be on Trae's payroll on some capacity lol.

Plot twist: Trae did more than work out this off-season

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Below are the games started for 1st and 2nd years players (+Collins and Jones because he's a scrub).

Including Trae, 218 game starts by 1st and 2nd year players and another 68 by Collins and Jones for 286 out of a possible 335 game starts.

Rk   Age GS
1 De'Andre Hunter 22 62
2 Trae Young 21 60
3 Kevin Huerter 21 48
4 John Collins 22 41
5 Cam Reddish 20 34
6 Damian Jones 24 27
8 Bruno Fernando 21 13
14 Brandon Goodwin 24 1

They didn't start together is what I'm saying.  Usually LP started a center

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

They didn't start together is what I'm saying.  Usually LP started a center

Our top lineup last season was Trae, Kev, Cam, Hunter and Collins and it wasn't close.  There were more than twice as many minutes in that lineup than our next highest lineup.  

So it was a significant lineup for us.  I do agree that more often LP started a center. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AHF said:

This is a really good article and well worth the time to read.  The only part I'll criticize is the beginning and ending of this section:

image.png

First, if the 20190 Mavs pick had landed the #1-4 pick in the lottery then Atlanta would not have landed Zion or anyone in that range.  The pick's protection would have meant that Dallas kept the pick.  

Second, while I'm a big Herro fan I would not trade Cam for him straight up.  So the idea that the trade wouldn't be so criticized if the Hawks had taken Herro falls flat for me.  Herro would have struggled more among the extremely young and the extremely unproductive vets that comprised our roster last year than he did among the many productive vets populating the Miami roster. 

The writer's question about Cam envolving into a stud is the right way to look at this.  That is a very real possible outcome.

Overlooking the pick protections was a pretty glaring omission. Surprised he didn't know that.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Overlooking the pick protections was a pretty glaring omission. Surprised he didn't know that.

Given the depth explored in the rest of the article, I'll chalk it up to someone who has been burning the candle at both ends getting that piece together.  A ton of interesting information in there.

• Like 4

Ultimately, I don't think this kid watched too many games. He just seemed to do a lot of data charts and pull numbers. I don't get the feeling that he truly knows what he's talking about. Some of this seemed like complaining as well, some of the rubbish I see on here. 

The bottomline is, Trae was part of the reason we were bad, just like he will be part of the reason we are excellent this year but growth is needed. I look forward to see the next level of Rayford Young III 

I finally had time to read the entire thing and I'll do a podcast on it today. I am going to release three podcasts like MJ when he won a 3peat. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

Just now, AHF said:

It is definitely data crunching but I do like a lot of what he did in terms of framing and contextualizing the numbers.  There are a lot of interesting takeaways from what he (or she) presented, imo.

They did excellent work, I am not taking away from that but this can be easily debated against. The language of the paper was message boardy. 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

They did excellent work, I am not taking away from that but this can be easily debated against. The language of the paper was message boardy. 

The guy or girl who wrote it explained it in his reddit post.  He  or she was simplifying a lot of things so that people who aren't stat heads could understand it.  Still to this day I have idea what most of these "advanced" analytics that some people live by are supposed to mean.  They aren't end all.  You have to supplement these stats with actually watching the game.  

• Like 3

Other than missing the fact that the Dallas pick used to get Cam Reddish was top-3 protected, A+ on the thesis paper, kid.

I was initially one of those who bemoaned the trade when it took place; now, I'm one of Trae's biggest supporters. It's one of the few times as a Hawks fan that I was totally wrong about a lottery pick of theirs (the SAR trade and Acie Law being the exceptions). And I was dead wrong on this one.

The thing when I saw Trae turning the corner and me being needled by everyone in the barber shop with 'haha, remember Trae? You said you didn't like him...' was that I hoped that the Hawks' front office didn't do to him as their predecessors did to Nique in his heyday over 30 years ago. That is sit on their hands in the offseason while hoping that he can do the impossible with middling guys who wouldn't have seen the court on contending teams of that era. That was a bigger fear of mine than wondering was he better than Luca Doncic. 

It goes like this for me; after two seasons (the last being interrupted by the 'rona), Trae is already the greatest scorer the Hawks have had in this city since Nique and the best passer since...maybe Doc or Maravich? If he could hang up the numbers he has with a bunch of young guys still learning the pro game and unproductive veterans who would have a hard time beating Mercer or Georgia State, I'm already on Cloud-9 thinking of what he can do with REAL players on the court this season.

In other words, Luka has gotten off to a great start but the race isn't over yet. And Trae just pulled into the pit stop to get a fresh set of tires and a tank full of gas...

• Like 2

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Dejay said:

Other than missing the fact that the Dallas pick used to get Cam Reddish was top-3 protected, A+ on the thesis paper, kid.

I was initially one of those who bemoaned the trade when it took place; now, I'm one of Trae's biggest supporters. It's one of the few times as a Hawks fan that I was totally wrong about a lottery pick of theirs (the SAR trade and Acie Law being the exceptions). And I was dead wrong on this one.

The thing when I saw Trae turning the corner and me being needled by everyone in the barber shop with 'haha, remember Trae? You said you didn't like him...' was that I hoped that the Hawks' front office didn't do to him as their predecessors did to Nique in his heyday over 30 years ago. That is sit on their hands in the offseason while hoping that he can do the impossible with middling guys who wouldn't have seen the court on contending teams of that era. That was a bigger fear of mine than wondering was he better than Luca Doncic. 

It goes like this for me; after two seasons (the last being interrupted by the 'rona), Trae is already the greatest scorer the Hawks have had in this city since Nique and the best passer since...maybe Doc or Maravich? If he could hang up the numbers he has with a bunch of young guys still learning the pro game and unproductive veterans who would have a hard time beating Mercer or Georgia State, I'm already on Cloud-9 thinking of what he can do with REAL players on the court this season.

In other words, Luka has gotten off to a great start but the race isn't over yet. And Trae just pulled into the pit stop to get a fresh set of tires and a tank full of gas...

the pick was top 5 protected.

• Like 3

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

the pick was top 5 protected.

Yep.  I said we would have lost it if it landed 1-4 in my previous post because it was impossible for the Dallas pick to end up #5.  Only the top 4 picks are a product of the lottery and Dallas wasn't among the top 5 worst records in the league leaving the only potential places for us to lose the pick at 1-4.

Cam Reddish is a big difference maker.  Last season, his first, he missed summer league and was still recovering from surgery when the season opened and, really, the entire season.

He has grown bigger and taller since we last saw him play and he's 100% healed.  Personally, I expect good things from him for the rest of his career.  He will be one of the better all round players this season, not just on the Atlanta team.  In the entire NBA!

Trae is a great player.  Luka is a great player.  One against one, we can argue and fuss all day about who is better.  Could go either way.  

But, when we add Cam into the deal, the scales tilt heavily to the Hawks.  No way would I trade Trae and Cam for Luka.  I may be a little stupid, a real homer, but I ain't crazy!

:smug:

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Ultimately, I don't think this kid watched too many games. He just seemed to do a lot of data charts and pull numbers. I don't get the feeling that he truly knows what he's talking about. Some of this seemed like complaining as well, some of the rubbish I see on here. 

The bottomline is, Trae was part of the reason we were bad, just like he will be part of the reason we are excellent this year but growth is needed. I look forward to see the next level of Rayford Young III 

I finally had time to read the entire thing and I'll do a podcast on it today. I am going to release three podcasts like MJ when he won a 3peat. 

This^^^^^^

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Dejay said:

The thing when I saw Trae turning the corner and me being needled by everyone in the barber shop with 'haha, remember Trae? You said you didn't like him...' was that I hoped that the Hawks' front office didn't do to him as their predecessors did to Nique in his heyday over 30 years ago. That is sit on their hands in the offseason while hoping that he can do the impossible with middling guys who wouldn't have seen the court on contending teams of that era.

You didn't like the Doc Rivers, Kevin Willis, Moses Malone, Reggie Theus, Eddie Johnson, Tree Rollins, Kenny Smith, Cliff Livingston, Antoine Carr, Mookie Blaylock, Plastic Man, Craig Ehlo?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AHF said:

This is a really good article and well worth the time to read.  The only part I'll criticize is the beginning and ending of this section:

image.png

First, if the 20190 Mavs pick had landed the #1-4 pick in the lottery then Atlanta would not have landed Zion or anyone in that range.  The pick's protection would have meant that Dallas kept the pick.  

Second, while I'm a big Herro fan I would not trade Cam for him straight up.  So the idea that the trade wouldn't be so criticized if the Hawks had taken Herro falls flat for me.  Herro would have struggled more among the extremely young and the extremely unproductive vets that comprised our roster last year than he did among the many productive vets populating the Miami roster. 

The writer's question about Cam envolving into a stud is the right way to look at this.  That is a very real possible outcome.

I wouldn't trade Cam for 2 Herro's...lol 

• Like 2