• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Preseason Talk About Magic / Hawks Opener

hawkzlova123

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I'd rather them let a younger former player trying to break into the business an opportunity. I'm not a big fan of "you're a former superstar so you can have whatever job you want" thing. Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson have all been executives.  How many jobs does Isaiah Thomas get to have? Broadcaster, coach, executive. At least the Hawks didn't make Nique GM, that probably wouldn't have ended well.

Well that's a pretty good point.   I wouldn't mind VC having the chair for a while.   That's if we can't get Zaza in there.

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, bleachkit said:

At least you admit it's true. 

But more than anything, I just don't think Nique is very good at broadcasting, homer or not. For example, Steve Holman is a homer, but he's excellent at his job and I enjoy listening to him.

Why not mute the TV and listen Holman? Problem Solved.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

I love for VC to get that job. But he has his sights set on a higher profile national gig most likely.

He already has an ESPN gig, he's not going down to an RSN. It was always ESPN or Turner for him after he was done. If they replaced Nique, it would need to be someone that want to follow the same path as Smitty. former Hawk on the come up that can parlay it into a deal with Turner.

Edit: Clarity.

To the other 3 people on here who actually cared about Bembry, +10 in 9 minutes eh?  He fits right in with their culture of defensive guys who just need the proper fine tuning on offense.

Also off topic, it’s pretty amazing to have 2 players enter the league within 3 years with the supreme passing/ vision skills of Trae and LaMelo.  Games versus the Hornets are gonna be lit as the kids say.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

He already has an ESPN gig, he's not going down to an RSN. It was always ESPN or Turner for him after he was done. If they replaced Nique, it would need to be someone like Smitty., former Hawk on the come up that can parlay it into a deal with Turner.

Smitty is already pretty set in a national gig with Nba tv i think.  

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Smitty is already pretty set in a national gig with Nba tv i think.  

Yes, he is. He was the Color Commentator before Nique and turned it into that NBATV gig. That's what I meant, someone that wants to do that. Maybe Milsap when he's done?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

He already has an ESPN gig, he's not going down to an RSN. It was always ESPN or Turner for him after he was done. If they replaced Nique, it would need to be someone like Smitty., former Hawk on the come up that can parlay it into a deal with Turner.

Well, Steve Smith was previously our color analyst for 3 years which helped him get his gig at NBA TV.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, BangHolman said:

That's what I'm sayin, someone that wants to be like Smitty and follow that same path.

Gotcha, I thought you were suggesting him as an alternative.

Tim Legler is a great example to me. Smart guy, knows xs and os very well, and has a natural feel for television. But Fox would have passed in him because he's not a big "name." As much as people like to take shots at ESPN, Fox Sports and their subsidiaries look much more amateurish by comparison. 

19 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Tim Legler is a great example to me. Smart guy, knows xs and os very well, and has a natural feel for television. But Fox would have passed in him because he's not a big "name." As much as people like to take shots at ESPN, Fox Sports and their subsidiaries look much more amateurish by comparison. 

To replace Nique?