What are your biggest takeaways from the Preseason???

Bonkers

From peachtreehoops

The good:
-The bench actually was good tonight and gave the Hawks multiple chances to get back into the game. That is what a good bench is supposed to do.

-Huerter was very good tonight and it’s no coincidence it was the game where he was limited doing the "other" stuff. He was a shooter tonight and got looks a shooter should hit and did. I really think trying to showcase he’s "more than a shooter" holds back showcasing his 1 true standout NBA skill, shooting the ball.

-Bruno is not great, but he once again had a nice showing. He’s playing much harder than he has and he’s playing in control. He must be feeling the OO fire.

-Gallo was Gallo. He came in gave us a good 19 points and pretty much did it all on his own creating for himself and others.

The Bad:
-I’m still not sure what the hell this team is trying to do on offense. I really don’t care if the shots are falling but I really want to see trying to run something other than your turn/my turn offense. We look like an AAU team trying to get everyone a look to impress coaches/scouts.

-Re offensive execution in particular…too many guys are settling for decent out of rhythm shots. I think it’s because there is no flow whatsoever in the offense. A guy will go minutes without getting a meaningful touch of the basketball. Then when he finally does he feels like it’s his turn to get a shot and it’s an out of rhythm shot. Bogi is a perfect example. He won’t get a good touch for a long time and then when he feels like he needs to do something to help he takes an out of rhythm shot. I blame the overall offense for that because it’s not just him. How many times can we run the same half-assed dribble handoff action that doesn’t scare the defense one bit?

-The passing has got to get more lively. Too many times guys are just passing with no purpose. Trae is actually one of the worst offenders. He will pass and sort of disconnect from the action instead of cutting or at least squaring up to give the illusion of being shot ready. Given the attention he gets he would be so much help if he gave an aggressive dribble then kicked it out to throw the defense out of alignment. It’s not only Trae either but I just notice he does that a lot.

-Trae gets a section because as the best player on this team he has to be better. He is starting to take some really bad shots. For the first time I noticed a couple of guys kind of aggravated with one of his shots. Everyone ran down the court and Trae took a deep contested 3 and Hunter had this look like "ughh". It takes energy to run down the court and when one guy takes that shot, especially playing with other good players, it tends to zap the energy the next time down. I love Trae but those are bad shots. It’s one thing to take that shot when you’re open (which is a fine shot for him) or when you’re really cooking, but you CANNOT take that shot when you’ve been struggling. That’s the quickest way to piss people off.
-Trae in particular has been better on D overall. I notice that he is trying more and generally being more active. However, one thing that drives me crazy is he will get picked and then makes no effort to get back to the original guy he was guarding. You can see sometimes the help defender is expecting a switch back and Trae will just kind of stay there flat footed. He did it one time on the Wizards C (I’m not spelling that name) and Capela was caught in no man’s land because Trae just stayed there. I don’t think that’s anything other than someone needs to really stress that he shouldn’t give the defense what they want so easily. Reddish is actually a great one to watch. He gets screened a lot, but he understands that’s what the defense wants and always tries to get back into original guarding position if he can.

A lot of low points tonight, but the main one I’ve said for all the preseason games…I’m not sure what they are trying to do on offense. Pierce really has got to come out with a better plan to get the ball moving more than he has. Bogi is on a brand new team, you’d think they’d do all they can to get him good looks early. He has proven he will pass the ball if the shot isn’t there for him. What are we doing LP?!

• Like 3

I came in to preseason expecting to have Trae and John as afterthoughts and focus on the rest of the roster:  how Capela looked after his longer than most layoff between injury and the shutdown, how Gallo and Bogi fit in, improvement of the youngsters etc.  So count me as perplexed by Trae and John's performances but that oddly gives me a bit of hope for the season when (if?) they return to form with the talent around them.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

They need a lot of work. We need at least 5 more preseason games. That said, the talent is there. The size is there. The versatility is there. This team is just ass.

The size is not there.   Cap seems like he will be given a missmatch most of the time.  Val is huge in comparison, if their focus were just give it to Val every time and let him run the offense... they would have pounded us ... but I applaud Cap because he made scoring hard for Val tonight. 

Still, we have a bunch of PFs and play them at C.   We need one big body. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Ugh!  That's my reaction to pre season.  

Hawks PG hit both of his free throws to preserve the victory.  A 4 point lead with mere seconds left.  The Memphis team hit a three.  Had we missed one, tied game, overtime.

LP is getting lots and lots of heat.  Not a word about any of his assistant coaches.  Why?  I know, he's the head man.  Some of that blame we are spewing on LP should be on his assistants.  If they all do their job, everything will get better.  LP can't do it all.  That's why he has assistant coaches.

Veteran Hawks, the players from last season, looked blah!  Rondo was already missed last night.  Trae looks lost and seems to be trying too hard.  Needs to relax a little.

Players will become a team some day.  HURRY!

😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

The size is not there.   Cap seems like he will be given a missmatch most of the time.  Val is huge in comparison, if their focus were just give it to Val every time and let him run the offense... they would have pounded us ... but I applaud Cap because he made scoring hard for Val tonight. 

Still, we have a bunch of PFs and play them at C.   We need one big body. 

Val is one is one of the biggest centers in the NBA. Only centers with his size is Embiid and M. Gasol. Capela clearly has the size in comparison to the rest of the league. Something Jones, Bruno, and Dedmon lacked. 

That would have been a massive mistake if they did. Cap was making Val work and Val struggled. In game 1 against Memphis, Val didn't go off till Cap was out of the game. Are we watching the same game?

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

LP is getting lots and lots of heat.  Not a word about any of his assistant coaches.  Why?  I know, he's the head man.  Some of that blame we are spewing on LP should be on his assistants.  If they all do their job, everything will get better.  LP can't do it all.  That's why he has assistant coaches.

😃

Man this sounds like the Falcons and Dan Quinn.  Blame the assistant coaches because we like Quinn's personality.  Fired them year after year until it became too undeniable that the problem was Dan Quinn himself.  Hopefully Schlenk is smarter than Blank.

I am happy with Reddish and Hunter, they show improvement and that is really needed for us. Give us a legit 8 good players rotation. Anyway they need to show consistency. Yesterday some of the shots were too easy for Memphis, Allen scored 13 pts on 17 min and Brooks 17 on 20, they looked as all-stars and were defended by Cam and Hunter, defense was horrible, they were too far, if that is part of the plan or not I don’t know but they were their assignments.

Really concerned with Trae and Young, they are not there, the offensive scheme is awful. The starting unit has lost all their games, that is really concerning and coach is main responsible. Our starting unit is better than Memphis or Orlando, why we are blown by them is a mistery for me but we look really bad out there.

2nd unit has kept us in the games, that was to be expected, we have one if the best benches on NBA, we need to use our strengths. A 2nd unit of Rondo, Bogi, Snell, Gallo and Okongwu or Bruno is amazingly good. Add Dunn and Huerter, just wow.

Huerter need to stop doing too much, his passes are horrible, he had some ugly ones yesterday, his dribbling is not good and he is forcing and taking bad shots, he is an off the ball shooter, that is what he does best, play your game and stop trying to look what you are not. Defense as bad as expected, he need to play to his strengths.

Overall we are good on paper but look like the worst team on the NBA, really bad. We are good fit on paper and we have real talent, the only thing we are lacking is a true 7 footer at C, a backup C. When you are supposed to be good and you look so bad.... coach is on the hot seat, he is the one under the light, if he is not able to make them play well he needs to go. He had 2 years to build the team, some of the guys have been with him for 2 years and seem to be lost there, they should know the system, but they look like they don’t know what to do there as Young or Collins. That has no sense and is really concerning, a real bad indicator. I personally have had enough of LP, I think he needs to go but understand some regular season games are needed to make the decission, but honestly the sooner .... the better

Edited by gurpilo
  • Like 1

Whether it is Quinn or Pierce, they must take the heat.  They are the leaders.  But, there is enough blame to go around.  Assistant coaches have their responsibility.  If they don't, then, why have them?  Somehow, some way, these assistant coaches must step up and do the job that they were hired to do and what they are getting paid for.  No.  Don't try to put all the blame on them.  Just give them their share.

Quinn had a great assistant.  In fact, he left and became a successful head coach and the Falcons went down hill after that.  They haven't recovered.  It's been a while.

In our games against our last opponent, we can fault the coaches for a lot that went wrong.  However, it's not their fault that the Hawks couldn't throw the ball in the ocean from a rowboat.  Missed shots and numerous turnovers were mostly on the Hawks on the floor.

Terrible, ugly first half.  No excuse for play like that.  Terrible on everyone...

:smug:

Just a comparison. According to NBA.com PIE: Trae had a 6.4 and Reddish had a 15.9. 

Last season, Cam had an overall 5.9 and Trae had a 16 PIE. Great sign for the Hawks is Cam and Hunter preseason production. If we can get that 16 PIE from Trae. We should be a top 4 team in the east.

• Thanks 1

We're going through changes.  It's going to be ugly as all get out for a minute here.  Given time, probably 20 games in, I think we are going to see about what is expected....a 40ish win team that will be the 6-8th seed in the east.  It's going to try all of our ability to be patient but let's see it out.

• Like 2

I like our depth, I like the growth of our young wings. But Trae and JC have to be consistently good or it's back to the lottery. JC just needs more touches I think, but Trae looked flat out awful. My gut instinct is telling me something is wrong, but I'll chalk it up to preseason rust for now.

19 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Watching this team play, I am with @Diesel. What this team needs is Draymond Green or a modern new Draymond Green. Maybe Okongwu could be that player. I think Bam Adebayo is that player but that's what we need. 

We need a playmaking big man. Someone that lessen the load from Trae but gets touches. Wings don't get touches like that in our system. Bigs and Trae get most of the touches. 

Okongwu in a pre draft scouting interview with ESPN, said that Bam is the player that he wants to pattern his game after.  If he can achieve just 50% of Bam, that will be great.

But make no mistake.  The best passing big man on the team, is . . 

Bruno Fernando making history as first Angolan to play in the NBA

The problem, is that it would mean that LP would have to make a legit commitment to either develop his offense, or give him the green light to create offense in the post or take midrange shots.

The pass he made to Nathan Knight when the game was tight, was a thing of beauty.  He got the ball in the high post, made a nice dribble drop step move toward the basket, and found Knight cutting to the basket on a very clean bounce pass.  Bruno has shown that passing ability in college and even some in the pros.

But like I said, it would take the coach to really start trusting to run offense out of the high post with Bruno facilitating at times.  Right now, all he wants the bigs to do, is rim run, with limited offensive touches.

Even the little shovel pass back to Huerter for his 3 pointer, was the type of play he did all last year to free up people for 3s.

https://tinyurl.com/yaoc6ppz

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TheTruth said:

We need to give this team (players and coaches) some time to gel with all of the changes we've had. Rotations will be fluid at the outset, but we all know Trae @ PG, Collins @ PF and Capela @ C are the only things we know for certain. Everything else may take time to solidify.

There will be moments of inconsistent offensive and defensive brilliance to start out. 

That said, if LP doesn't coach this team up for them to start showing CONSISTENT competence on both ends of the floor by the end of the season, he is far from untouchable and can kick rocks. This team is far too talented on paper with apparent fits to show otherwise.

I agree.

It took Spolestra about 20 games in order to get Lebron, Wade, and Bosh to gel.  When that team was like 8 - 8, people were ready to write the Heat off.  Then they won something crazy like 40 out of 48 or something.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Whether it is Quinn or Pierce, they must take the heat.  They are the leaders.  But, there is enough blame to go around.  Assistant coaches have their responsibility.  If they don't, then, why have them?  Somehow, some way, these assistant coaches must step up and do the job that they were hired to do and what they are getting paid for.  No.  Don't try to put all the blame on them.  Just give them their share.

Quinn had a great assistant.  In fact, he left and became a successful head coach and the Falcons went down hill after that.  They haven't recovered.  It's been a while.

In our games against our last opponent, we can fault the coaches for a lot that went wrong.  However, it's not their fault that the Hawks couldn't throw the ball in the ocean from a rowboat.  Missed shots and numerous turnovers were mostly on the Hawks on the floor.

Terrible, ugly first half.  No excuse for play like that.  Terrible on everyone...

:smug:

The way I see it right now is no one deserves blame yet.  The entire coaching staff has had almost no time to do their jobs... loonggg off season to get rusty combined with ultra condensed training camp, brand new team, and extremely limited team practice time is a recipe for sloppiness.  We all know this is true but we can't help but look for someone to point a finger at ...for looking rusty in preseason games?  Give me a break.  If we are < than .500 after January, I will start to get worried.  The February schedule gets much tougher and we will need most of the kinks out by then to get wins.

Before February:

image.png

February:

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

As for Trae's play, he's the LAST GUY I'm worried about on this team.  He knows how to score the basketball, even when his shot is off. 

Once he starts to gel with his new teammates, it'll be up to them to make shots, because Trae will get them the ball.

I'm more impressed with Trae's effort on defense.

This is honestly what I hope for but I am not certain. It's clearly what I hope for considering he will have the rock more than anyone else. 

• Like 1