• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No Extension for John Collins

JTB

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

So the Hawks were squawking about and extra 2.5 mil per season?  Lord have mercy

That is my point.  The article contradicts itself.  Other articles reported he wanted a max contract.  So rather than a $2M per year or so difference per season between the Hawks offer (say $23M per) and that $100M figure which translates to $25M per year you are talking about $31.5M per year.  An $8M or so gap is much less significant than a $33M gap which is where the number is if the more common reports about JC wanting a max deal are correct.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is my point.  The article contradicts itself.  Other articles reported he wanted a max contract.  So rather than a $2M per year or so difference per season between the Hawks offer (say $23M per) and that $100M figure which translates to $25M per year you are talking about $31.5M per year.  An $8M or so gap is much less significant than a $33M gap which is where the number is if the more common reports about JC wanting a max deal are correct.

They were like 40 million apart. Of course if it were 5 to 10 million apart it would have gotten done. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I guess that's the next anti-Trae story line.   You think Dedmon, Len and Jones wish they were still playing with Trae?     Meanwhile Kyrie and Hayward are balling out for their teams after leaving Boston.  

I hope Travis is just screwing with Boston.   That should be a non-starter to trade with them.  

On a semi-related note, I stumbled upon a LAL game and saw Lamian getting minutes.  He immediately fouled a 3pt shooter with under 2 seconds left on the shot clock.  Obvious call.

What'd he do next?  Turned to Dennis with his palms up as if he'd done nothing.  Lebron turned away in disgust.  It was hilarious.

I remember them days but I do not remember them fondly.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Isn't the max from another team $107/4?   Pay it.

The difference between our max offer and another team is years and % raises.  

If you assume a $115M cap next year, the first year salary that John can get is 25% of the cap or $28.75M.  We can offer up to 8% raises while another team can only offer up to 5%.

So another team's max contract should look like something close to this:

2022-23 $28.75M

2023-24 $30.19M

2024-25 $31.7M

2025-26 $33.3M

Total = ~$124M

The max we could offer is:

2022-23 $28.75M

2023-24 $31.05M

2024-25 $33.53M

2025-26 $36.2M  (4 year Max = $129.5)

2026-27 $39.1M (5 year Max = $168M)

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

They were like 40 million apart. Of course if it were 5 to 10 million apart it would have gotten done. 

Every report out there seems to call out a max deal for him so I'm not sure what the $100M reference is supposed to mean (especially given that it is mentioned in the same sentence as referring to him going for a max deal).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AHF said:

Why get worked up over this?  The Hawks have the absolute right to match any offer that JC gets.  I'm just not seeing the downside here.

If TS doesn't want him back, then they will trade him and I will join people in being unhappy but as Jay points out we offered JC ~$23M per season after spending a bunch of money this offseason.  Since JC could have gotten suspended again this season or hurt or just not played as well and that might have really depressed his market price I just don't see the reason for being upset about the team for not having already resigned him.  If we were willing to pay $23M then and he is seeking $27M per season or something ($108M deal) then it will be a no-brainer that they team will sign him or match him at that price

I'm getting worked up? This thread here is 35 pages, and then you just agreed with me.  Can we get some of what ur smokin

• Premium Member

I just don't see Collins getting traded.  I see virtually no trade scenarios that make sense for the Hawks short or long term goals.  I think they take this into the offseason.  And there may be alot of smoke about teams with space offering the max.  I highly doubt it though.

• Like 1

All the reports are wishful thinking on the parts of other teams. Since when has a trade deadline headline ever actually favored the Hawks? We are always seen as sellers that can be convinced to jettison our best players for just cash and assets.

That completely goes against everything that we claimed we were all about. A) making the playoffs this year B) going in to the luxury tax to build a winner C) Wanting to see how good this core could be together before breaking it up.

Unless somebody blows us away, all the chips favor us to keep JC until he finds a suitor this offseason when we will either match or SnT for the same shitty return that teams are offering us now.

33 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

I just don't see Collins getting traded.  I see virtually no trade scenarios that make sense for the Hawks short or long term goals.  I think they take this into the offseason.  And there may be alot of smoke about teams with space offering the max.  I highly doubt it though.

Collins for Edwards makes sense for both, if JC really wants to play there long-term. It won't happen though because of the optics from Minny's standpoint. 

• Premium Member
Just now, mrhonline said:

Texas says hi.

Lol, sure.  If any of the Texas teams or whoever offers the MAX, tip your cap and move on.  But, if they're actually watching the games and not just the stats, I don't see them offering the MAX.