• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins

jmac54

The more I watch this team the more I see we may not need Collins anymore. I mean he is a very good player offensively but still quite lost on defense. And he isn't going to be that 20&10 player on this team at least because we just have a lot of depth on this team. I really think Hunter could play the 4 permanently with Capela at 5. I think Collins will want the max money regardless of how he performs cause some team out there will give him the max. I know it's early in the season but just an observation. I could warm up to a Collins trade if it's for the right players in return. 

6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I disagree.   The guy just flat out makes a difference on the court.   With so many options now he's not getting the touches he did last year but he still puts his stamp on the game.   His plus/minus were +21, +15 (game high), 0 (only other starter with 0 was Trae.  Rest were minus).   Plus/minus obviously doesn't mean everything but I still think he's a high impact player. 

+/- isn't a good indicator.

I think he is a fantastic player and he makes a difference on the court offensively. We have so many options that is going to be difficult for him to have many shots on offense but he should be clearly getting more than the 9 shots he is making now. Also 24 mpg seems really low, specially without Capela.

Defensively he still needs to make an impact but his defensive rating is good on the team this season, even better than with Hunter.

Having said that I don't think he is any near a max player. 20m$ seems adequate to the player Collins is.

Edited by gurpilo
  • Like 2

Just now, macdaddy said:

Lol.  So you disagree that he's played well?   He was the guy who basically closed the game out in the fourth quarter last night.

I don't agree or disagree. I just said +/- is a poor indicator. Sometimes you can be on the court with someone else getting blasted and it shows as your error too which is not the case. Look at Nathan Knight. He was killing but ended with a negative but he played well on both ends.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

John's doing fine so far. His output is still the same, he's just playing less due to fouls. He didn't do too much untill the 4th and still ended up as the third leading scorer while having the 3rd lowest amount of attempts. He isn't completely comfortable with everyone yet and is trying to mix in being aggressive while also being a cog in the machine.

He started slow when coming back from last year's suspension too.

I do think they need to do a better job of going to him, especially when Trae's off the court.

• Like 2

I did say John is a very good player offensively. But I read somewhere Collins turned down 4 years at 90m. Which means whether the Hawks like it or not hes still going to want the max or close to it. Even though his production will take a dip most likely. I just think if the right trade comes along Collins becomes tradeable and we can move Hunter over to the 4 who is just a better defender. And Capela would be the Pick and Roll player anyways. Now I don't know who John could be traded for but I feel like it's going to happen at some point if he really doesn't start putting up his usual stats or even better. Or if he doesn't drastically improve on defence. 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Who are you trading John for $4 million with his production? 

In 24 minutes, he's averaging 14 pts 6.3 rebounds and 1.3 assists on 54% shooting. 

Again, it's been 3 games. Look at his first few games last year before he took off.  

Yeah, to add to this -- if the way we're spreading minutes right now continues -- it makes a lot more sense to pay attention to per 36 stats than the per game stats.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Who are you trading John for $4 million with his production? 

In 24 minutes, he's averaging 14 pts 6.3 rebounds and 1.3 assists on 54% shooting. 

Again, it's been 3 games. Look at his first few games last year before he took off.  

You only trade him if the trade makes sense. Meaning we get a fair deal. If it's a low ball, then hell no.