• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins

jmac54

Until Capela or Gallo are both consistently available and making an impact on the court, any talk about JC not being needed should be put to bed.

And even when they do get up and running, and argument for JC can still be made. 

Lets hope for the best for all Hawks players until they no longer are wearing the Red, Black and Yellow. 

• Like 4

The Hawks are looking like one of the top teams in the NBA this year and Collins is no small part in that. His peers recognize his talent (Durant and DJ had a lot of good to say about him) and if he keeps getting spotlight dunks (like on J Allen last night), he will get votes for All Star this year. 

It will end up with us paying JC the max. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I’m perfectly fine with that.

When and if he proves it, I'll be celebrating.  If you look at his raw stats, it seems like he isn't performing as good as last year.  When diving into some of his advanced stats, the only areas he hasn't improved is his three point shooting (which is coming along as late), fouling and rebounding which is only slightly down. He's improved his overall awareness and ability to slide on the defensive end. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 4

• Premium Member

Here's the deal.

Trae has made JC look like a monster.   Our PNR game is superb.  JC is a beast around the rim.  JC also has a decent longball.   My problem is that JC doesn't have a midrange game.  He can't PNP.  If he gets the ball inthe midrange, he can't go one on one with a defender.   He can't drive.  He doesn't have a Jab step.  He's Karl Malone without the midrange.   Is that max worthy?  I dunno.   I believe that if we run primarily PNR then he will be a 20/10 player.   But when we make the playoffs and the game breaks down to a half court game and teams defend the PNR... what then?

As much as we hate to say it.. every player needs that ISO JOE part of his game.  The part of the game where if he had to go one on one with somebody, he could.

IF we do give him the max, I say during the offseason have him train with Paul Millsap.  Millsap could teach him how to be strong in the midrange. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Here's the deal.

Trae has made JC look like a monster.   Our PNR game is superb.  JC is a beast around the rim.  JC also has a decent longball.   My problem is that JC doesn't have a midrange game.  He can't PNP.  If he gets the ball inthe midrange, he can't go one on one with a defender.   He can't drive.  He doesn't have a Jab step.  He's Karl Malone without the midrange.   Is that max worthy?  I dunno.   I believe that if we run primarily PNR then he will be a 20/10 player.   But when we make the playoffs and the game breaks down to a half court game and teams defend the PNR... what then?

As much as we hate to say it.. every player needs that ISO JOE part of his game.  The part of the game where if he had to go one on one with somebody, he could.

IF we do give him the max, I say during the offseason have him train with Paul Millsap.  Millsap could teach him how to be strong in the midrange. 

I refuse to believe that a guy with a free throw shot and 3pt shot can't learn to shoot a midrange jumper.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Diesel said:

Here's the deal.

Here are two mid post plays, I just don't think he has enough opportunities in the midpost to do these kind of things, as LP says he doesn't run plays for him:

As for the PnP, again that's on LP to call it, he rarely sets screens in that area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Diesel said:

Here's the deal.

To me, that's on coaching.

We saw the offense completely break down at the end of the Cleveland game, partially because what you are talking about.  We don't have that guy who can create his own shot one on one.  Trae can do it, if he can get past his man and get to the basket.  Hunter has actually shown the ability that he can be that guy in the midrange.  And I think if we make a concerted effort to get Collins the ball in the midrange, he could actually do it with 15 foot jumpers and short post ups.

But that's going to take situational coaching.  Things that you'd love to have a few days to practice on in between games. 

In the "old days", you would run everybody to one side of the floor, and just clear out for your most talented offensive guy.  Everything is so 3 point and pick and roll oriented these days, that it seems like these coaches forgot how to get players the ball to stop scoring runs.

These are all game winner type shots.  But I get it.  Who on the Hawks right now can do this?

• Thanks 2