• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Steve Nash criticizes Trae Young

Bonkers

1 hour ago, AHF said:

KD, Kylie and every superstar for the last 30+ years have gotten calls.  Hawks have never really had that guy that refs respect.  Kiss my grits Nash.

Lip reading a coach arguing calls with refs does not warrant a "kiss my grits." Coaches argue calls even when they know they are the right calls. That's their job. Nash was extremely complimentary of Trae following the game. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

(Oh and on the topic of the thread, @bleachkit is right that context is key here and it seems a non-issue.  Nash wants his guys to stop fouling Young.  He can’t stop them from bumping him so he is trying to argue that the refs should just overlook it.  Following that with compliments of Trae and the Hawks during the media interviews makes this a non-issue.)

• Like 4

Let me take a second and respond to Steve Nash.

1. It is 100% a basketball play.  Basketball is as much about chess as it is about athleticism (see Kevin McHale). The 2-3 hip attached fouls per game gives Trae room to operate. It is no different than the 30 ft 3. He makes them enough that it forces the defense to pick him up out there, creating space for others to operate.

2. It is very much legal. The offensive player has the right to any space not occupied by other player. They are free to do whatever they want within that space as long as it doesn't violate any other rules. Stopping and shooting from any angle, any way is permitted. A defensive player violating that space, from any angle, any method is a foul.

Nash is just angry he didn't figure it out when he played.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Let me take a second and respond to Steve Nash.

1. It is 100% a basketball play.  Basketball is as much about chess as it is about athleticism (see Kevin McHale). The 2-3 hip attached fouls per game gives Trae room to operate. It is no different than the 30 ft 3. He makes them enough that it forces the defense to pick him up out there, creating space for others to operate.

2. It is very much legal. The offensive player has the right to any space not occupied by other player. They are free to do whatever they want within that space as long as it doesn't violate any other rules. Stopping and shooting from any angle, any way is permitted. A defensive player violating that space, from any angle, any method is a foul.

Nash is just angry he didn't figure it out when he played.

You're ignoring context. He's arguing the calls to ref. Any coach would do the same. He's not publicly taking issue with the calls.

• Premium Member

Nash is just doing what a coach is supposed to do.. get in the ref's head.   He knows that we play them today and he wants to take up space in the ref's head when it comes to Trae.  Truth is that Kyrie does the same sh---. So my thinking is that Trae should play his game and not get into the politics. 

25 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

You're ignoring context. He's arguing the calls to ref. Any coach would do the same. He's not publicly taking issue with the calls.

Exactly. I did the same thing when I was coach of our intramural team.

Its all political really, making your best argument to get the refs to be on your side.

I would loudly yell to the team that the refs werent calling fouls for our us, and not to expect a whistle in our favor. I made sure the refs heard me and took offense. We got the next few calls in our favor just to spite me I truly believe. Refs are humans and you can press on their judgement. Nash probably likes that call for his guys, but against him he has to make it sound so bad that the refs start to hesitate just a little bit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, High5 said:

When guys are directly trailing him and he pumps the brakes then that’s a clear foul IMO. The one where he jumps back to either side is BS, but it’s not Trae’s fault if the refs call it.

I do worry about Trae playing too much for the whistle. It feels like he has only made a few jumpers since the opener. But it’s still very early. 

Lol, it's a fade away jumper.  No way they can make that illegal.  I mean he's def foul hunting with that one, but smart players take advantage of the rules.

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

Lol, it's a fade away jumper.  No way they can make that illegal.  I mean he's def foul hunting with that one, but smart players take advantage of the rules.

Lol no one in the history of the world has shot a fadeaway that resembles that.

• Confused 1

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, NBASupes said:

It was a foul. If you don't like the call. Don't play him so f***ing tight 

If it was a natural shooting motion pull up jumper I'd agree with you but he bowed his back into an arch to get the contact... to be fair to Trae, most of the fouls he drew were genuine shot attempts but of course they will make a video of the one egregious one.  I don't necessarily know how to enforce it but I think the rule should be it's a foul on the offensive player if it's not a natural shot.  Like when guys double pump before the contact even comes to make sure they draw the foul or what Trae did where he actually arches his back to get contact like come on Trae we know your shot doesnt involve you going hunchback lol

• Premium Member

Steve Nash is just mad because he didn't think of it first 😂. Trae is just crafty and I noticed he didn't do it tonight......I wonder if the Association had a talk with him.🤔

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2021 at 1:23 AM, QuantumHawkz said:

Steve Nash is just mad because he didn't think of it first 😂. Trae is just crafty and I noticed he didn't do it tonight......I wonder if the Association had a talk with him.🤔

He was the master of the move. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Not to beat it into the ground but there are plays where Trae does jump backwards.  This isn't one of them.   He just stops and goes straight up.  Defender is waaay to close as evidence by him having his hand on Trae's hip from behind.   This absolutely is basketball.   If they start eliminating the jump backward i'm fine with that but stopping because the defender is right on your back is just a smart play.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Not to beat it into the ground but there are plays where Trae does jump backwards.  This isn't one of them.   He just stops and goes straight up.  Defender is waaay to close as evidence by him having his hand on Trae's hip from behind.   This absolutely is basketball.   If they start eliminating the jump backward i'm fine with that but stopping because the defender is right on your back is just a smart play.  

Ehhh this one wasn't the most egregious but it wasn't exactly a natural pull up jumper... look at this still from 0:04

image.png

That's not how Trae shoots... two hands on the ball hunged at his hip???  Trae has like 1 foul every 3 games that arguably should be an offensive foul.  This probably isn't one of them but it's by no means a genuine shot attempt -- if it was he would have dribbled closer and floated it in.  Why else is he going to pull up just inside the 3P line with this awkward shooting form lol... I get it Trae is our guy and we gotta defend him but I'll be happy if he takes this out of his game and focuses on scoring.  I really do think part of the reason some of his finishing around the rim is suffering is because he's focused on too much right now, including baiting fouls.