Official Game Thread: Knicks at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

A little success makes us forget how new this team is.  We don't have any of the new players out there... no Bogi, No Gallo, No Dunn, No Rondo.   We fielded last year's team minus Vince Carter.  Still, we should be better than this.  However, it's going to take some time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Thibs waited until the 4th quarter and then started trying to deny Trae the ball.  It worked great.   We had no answer.   You deny Trae, that neutralizes Collins to an extent and the other guys stumble and brick their way to the finish line.  

This ^

We talked all last season about needing a CAPABLE secondary ball handler when Trae gets blitz or denied the ball.  So far, it doesn't look as if that has been addressed. Rondo is supposed to be that guy when Trae sits, but who is the guy when Trae is on the court.

Additionally, the trend so far this year....can't hold a lead in the 3rd (or 2nd half). Last year it was getting blown out in the 3rd. The bench has to produce to give us a chance.

7 games in, I see some good things, some bad things, some questionable things, some confusing and concerning things, some bad things and some 'wth' things. 10% of our season is over...we're right on pace for my 41 win prediction :hehe:.

• Like 4

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This ^

We talked all last season about needing a CAPABLE secondary ball handler when Trae gets blitz or denied the ball.  So far, it doesn't look as if that has been addressed. Rondo is supposed to be that guy when Trae sits, but who is the guy when Trae is on the court.

Additionally, the trend so far this year....can't hold a lead in the 3rd (or 2nd half). Last year it was getting blown out in the 3rd. The bench has to produce to give us a chance.

7 games in, I see some good things, some bad things, some questionable things, some confusing and concerning things, some bad things and some 'wth' things. 10% of our season is over...we're right on pace for my 41 win prediction :hehe:.

Thibs outsmarted us.  I didn't think he had the personnel to do it but then quikley down under comes in bombing 3s and getting to the line playing Trae like Tlue guarding AI.   It's the NBA.  It happens.  Especially when you only play 6 players the whole game. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Sothron said:

When you are up by 15 at home against the Knicks in the 3rd quarter you win the game. Not interested in any excuses in this game. We clearly took the foot off the pedal in the mid 3rd and let them come right back in the game. You can't do that. We need those hurt guys to get back into the games to teach our guys about closing out games.

This team has to learn to close out games.   There's an art to it.. a nuance and young teams don't get it immediately.  It's going to be hard to train Trae unless you get a Coach that he respects.  We should be looking for Jason Kidd as an assistant or something.  Rondo is great as a coplayer but JKidd has been a superstar at the PG position.  

10 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Well I guess posters are finally seeing what I've been talking about.  Trae has been good at times and absolutely terrible at times.  He shoots so many terrible shots and has so many terrible turnovers which the team can't recover from all of the time.  LP is hell bent on playing small even with a lead. For some reason unknown to me, he does not value defensive rebounding which is the key to winning consistently.  He talks about it plenty but he constantly puts in line ups that are at a clear disadvantage when it comes to rebounding.  It should be quite clear to everyone now that LP is not a defensive minded coach.  John playing more center than he should was one of my most confident predictions in the predictions thread.  And even when Okungwu is healthy, he won't play much because of LP's obsession with playing John at center.  Solo is now last year's version of Vince Carter and Bogi is who I though he was.  Despite the obvious roster flaws, this team should still make the playoffs but the head coach might make that goal quite difficult to achieve.

Ive always known what Trae was. A very talented player with ALOT of flaws... I wanted no part of him coming out of OU. HE can go off when he's on, but he can lose you games just as much when hes not.Not to mention he cant guard a paper towel....I always thought he was More flash than substance..Hes starting to remind me why I hated his game so much...He's fun to watch, but dude drives me insane with all of the turnovers and bad shots..Cam is pissing me off too lately all out of control on offense. He's playing like Duke Cam..They BOTH need to calm down, and get their shit together..We passed on best prospect in years for those 2..We have alot riding on those 2 players if we're being honest. That was a HUGE gamble..And whats Travis' infatuation with trading for, drafting, and signing injured players? Traded for Capela who was injured..Signed Dunn who was injured. Signed Snell who was injured..Drafted BIG O who was injured. Schlenk sure does like taking chances..............I know its early in the season, and Im not giving up on my guys,  but losing to the Knicks and Cavs has me on edge..lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bleachkit said:

7 games in and Trae's numbers are pretty much identical to last years. A lot of points, a lot of assists, but turnovers and so-so efficiency.

Only because he played well in the 1st 3 games. Hes been bad ever since imo..

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, terrell said:

Ive always known what Trae was. A very talented player with ALOT of flaws... I wanted no part of him coming out of OU. HE can go off when he's on, but he can lose you games just as much when hes not.Not to mention he cant guard a paper towel....I always thought he was More flash than substance..Hes starting to remind me why I hated his game so much...He fun to watch, but dude drives me insane with all of the turnovers and bad shots..Cam is pissing me off too lately all out of control on offense. He's playing like Duke Cam..They BOTH need to calm down, and get their shit together..We passed on Luka for those 2..We have alot riding on those 2 players if we're being honest. That was a HUGE gamble..And whats Travis' infatuation with trading for, drafting, and signing injured players? Traded for Capela who was injured..Signed Dunn who was injured. Signed Snell who was injured..Drafted BIG O who was injured. Schlenk sure does like taking chances..............I know its early in the season, but losing to the Knicks and Cavs has me on edge..lol

This is where coaching comes into play.  It should be easy to reprogram 19 year old but I feel like LP encourages the type of play you see from both.

• Moderators

Knicks / Cavs are a combined 8-6 on the season.   Honestly i don't know how the Cavs are doing it but the Knicks have new life with Thibs.   But this always happens at first with his teams.  He'll wear those guys out eventually. 

I don't know why we have so many injured guys.  It's still early though.  Agree Cam has been basically horrible.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

The Hawks don't have a Super star player on their team

We have the assets to trade for one though which is a good thing..

Right now at this moment, Im willing to trade anybody on the Hawks but Hunter.He's untouchable...lol

Edited by terrell

• Moderators
1 minute ago, terrell said:

Only because he played well in the 1st 3 games. Hes been bad ever since imo..

I mean 8 turnovers and a bunch of missed 3s was bad but he still had 31/14.   I know lots of folks don't put stock in plus minus but when you play 40 out of 48 minutes and register a +7 and lose by 5 that should tell you something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This is where coaching comes into play.  It should be easy to reprogram 19 year old but I feel like LP encourages the type of play you see from both.

Yeah LP is on my shit list too....Everytime he does something stupid, they should slide Nate down one seat closer to him..lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Like who? Harden? Giannis? Giannis can't even lead a better team and coach to a championship

IDK who. Was just sayin..If a star was available we have the assets.

Edited by terrell

6 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Glad you finally showed up after the bad losses, but was quiet as a mouse after the good wins

There's a credibility drain when that happens.

Anyways, there were two teams I did not want the Hawks to lose to.  The friggin Cavs and the friggin Knicks.  So, needless to say, kg has been curled up in a ball crying his little eyes out the past few days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2