• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Knicks at Hawks

lethalweapon3

7 hours ago, AHF said:

Please help me out.  I said that Trae could use a breather during the 4th quarter.  You seem to be suggesting he got one and inherited a lead and blew it.

I checked the play-by-play to see if I was missing something but I think:

• Against the Knicks, Trae played all 12 minutes of the 4th quarter.
  • When Goodwin gave Trae a breather in the 3rd quarter, the Hawks had a lead of 84-71
  • While Goodwin was on the floor, the Hawks were outscored 13-4

So, again, Trae got this team a big lead prior to the 4th.  He rested for less than 3 minutes in the third quarter and got no break in the 4th.  While he was off the floor, the Hawks lead evaporated from a 13 margin to 4 points forcing them to keep him on the floor even when he was out of rhythm and out of energy.

In the game against Cleveland, Trae did get a 1.5 minute break in the 4th quarter but the team lost 8 points off the lead while he was out.  Would have been nice to have broken even and had 8 more points on the board with Rondo in the game instead of Goodwin.

Note that Trae has gotten the following breathers in the 4th quarter in games played by Rondo:

3.5 minutes Nets (competitive 4th quarter)

5.5 minutes Pistons (win)

Without Rondo in these last two losses:

0 minutes Knicks (9 points lost from lead when Trae was off the floor in the 2H) (loss)

1.5 minutes Cavs (8 points lost from lead when Trae was off the floor in the 2H) (loss)

Two of the three other games when Trae was off the floor also had some big changes in lead that we were able to overcome:

Nets (no change in lead when Trae was off the floor in the 2H) (win)

Bulls (12 points lost from lead when Trae was off the floor in the 2H) (win)

Grizzlies (9 points lost from lead when Trae was off the floor in the 2H) (win)

In the games with Rondo, the Hawks outscored their opponents by 6 points in the second half when Trae was off the floor.  Per game average of +3.

Without Rondo, the Hawks have been outscored by their opponents by 38 points in the second half when Trae was off the floor.  Per game average of -7.6.

So I still maintain that it could make a significant difference for us having Rondo play.  Having Rondo give Trae a meaningful break in the 4th would let him maintain his energy better late in games by giving him a breather in the 4th and having less of a drain on the margin would not put so much pressure to have him on the floor.  

(Doesn't mean Trae can't improve generally or in the 4th quarter specifically in these games.  But I don't think it all has to be about Trae as far as the ultimate W/L result in the game.  Trae is a blazing talent but not LeBron at the height of his powers.)

Preach!!!  Preach I say!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I love when someone makes a post like this that completely shuts up a totally random poster. It feels like listening to a certain President make baseless claims of voter fraud just to have actual facts show up to shut it down.

Just an observation. 

The funny thing about it, Peo didn’t respond because he couldn’t . His point became useless as it’s clear Trae is not getting a break which was obvious if you watched these past two games where he looks tired out there.

This is why we signed two point guards to back him up and unfortunately both were hurt and Goodwin while he can create a spark, he’s just not dependable enough to keep important leads.

this is also why Pierce probably was playing Bogi and Huerter at backup point when rondo and Dunn were out. He may should attempt it again if Bogi is helpful because at this point Goodwin while I like the kid just doesn’t have it right now 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Silly me, :laugh1:

Hunter damn near at the top. Bruno left center..Cam 3rd from bottom..Surprised to see Clarke that low, and Cam Johnson that high..(he only plays 22 min per game though)Image

Edited by terrell
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Offense is never a concern when it comes to the Hawks. It's the defense and grit that has me worried. CLE and N.Y punked the Hawks...plus we give up a lot of three's due to the "protect the paint" defense. If the Hawks don't commit on the defensive end Consistently..then the playoffs will not be a reality this season. 

• Like 2