• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Uh oh...Ice vs The Baptist

HawkItus

https://theathletic.com/2307304/2021/01/08/atlanta-hawks-john-collins-trae-young/

John Collins, the fourth-year big man who just weeks before bet on himself in a big way during his failed extension talks with the Hawks, shared his unfiltered and unhappy views about the way franchise centerpiece Trae Young was running the offense. According to three sources who were either in the session or had knowledge of what was said, Collins raised several issues about the way these Hawks were functioning with Young at the helm.

There was a moment during a timeout in the third quarter when, perhaps sensing Young was not happy, Collins put his arm around Young’s shoulders and patted him on the back to encourage him. Young did not say anything nor reciprocate Collins’ friendly gesture and instead walked away.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

More: Clint weighs in.

Even after the film session came to an end, the dialogue about how these Hawks should operate continued. Only this time, it was Hawks big man Clint Capela who decided to weigh in during a private discussion with Young.

Capela, the 26-year-old who was acquired from Houston at last season’s trade deadline, had seen a similar act unfold before during the Dwight Howard-James Harden era with the Houston Rockets. Sources say Capela’s message focused on that cautionary tale, how Howard’s demands for the ball along with Harden’s reluctance to give it up more freely widened the divide between them and led to collective failure.

This kind of push-and-pull between talented wing players and big men is as old as the league itself, but Capela clearly saw no reason to let history repeat itself. But one night later, when the Hawks fell 102-94 to Charlotte in Atlanta, it was clear there had been a ripple effect from the day before. And not for the better.

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I asked in the game thread why Trae was just passing the ball and standing at the top of the key in the 1st half, not moving...now we know why.

@TheNorthCydeRises called it.

If Trae is off the ball, he has to move. Seems like he's pouting. I think Trae's attitude is basically, "Im giving you 30 and 10, what are you complaining about?" 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

I think Trae was proving a point and I agree w/ him.  Besides Bogey and Gallo, these cats need him to score effectively.  JC is another KAT.  Great stats, but he doesn't effect winning.

I think that if Trae becomes more of a cog in the offense while still getting his, the ceiling of this team is raised significantly. Outside of LBJ led teams, there have been no teams in the last decade that won a championship without thier most important player having an impact off the ball. The Spurs, Raptors, and Golden State all had systems based on offensive flow while also relying on thier stars.

Look at what Kawhi said about the Clippers after last season. They lacked BBIQ. They needed a floor general to run the offense. 

Trae is integral to this team's success. But his playstyle can determine whether he ends up like Harden or Curry.

• Like 2