• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Things we learned about the Hawks after they losing 4 straight games

Bonkers

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, HawkItus said:

Yall always bring up off ball movement, but where is he going to go when no one else moves?  Our offense is stagnant.  if they want him to move do some off ball screens etc.

31 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

Exactly.  This falls more on Pierce to me.  He accepts Trae standing around.  He's accepting little movement at times.  He needs to be teaching and making sure he moves.  The first part to getting better moving off the ball is the actual movement part.

I don't think I've ever seen Trae run with purpose using screens to come off it for an open shot, ala Korver or Rip Hamilton. It's just not in our playbook. So it's easy to say 'offball' but that's on coach.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Can't tell if this is tongue in cheek or serious.  

IMO, this is LP's moment right now.  One way or another, he needs to get the team back on the rails.  Getting guys healthy will help but we were pretty competitive last year with Trae, Huerter, Cam, Hunter, and Collins playing together.  We weren't as competitive over the last week or so with all of those guys plus Capela and Bogi.

Sorry.  I thought it was obvious.  It was NOT serious. Call it sarcasm, TIC, whatever. The overreactions on here are hysterical. 

We actually have people saying Trae needs to prove the last 5 games are just a slump. I mean, did the 100 previous games not prove what Trae is capable of?

And Hunter has played really well for 5 games and all of a sudden he's "the best player on the team" cuz, hey, 5 games is apparently all this board needs to make definitive conclusions.  And I'm not bangin on Dre. I love his game and think he's going to be a beast before long, but come on. The hot takes are absurd. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't think I've ever seen Trae run with purpose using screens to come off it for an open shot, ala Korver or Rip Hamilton. It's just not in our playbook. So it's easy to say 'offball' but that's on coach.

Funny you brought up KK. Believe Korver needs to start coaching in our camp to help our perimeter guys use one or more screens and then nail a three. May be an art form but it apparently is really hard work our camp is not interested in at the moment. As opposed to handling the ball as much I would rather Kevin run his tail off all game looking to receive a pass and score immediately from downtown. I do realize that we need our points to get healthy and back on the floor to help with this. 

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

As a follow-up, here is what LP said last January regarding playing Trae off ball:

....while the Hawks have said they’d like for Young to develop his off-ball skills, he hasn’t shown he’s someone who can constantly run off screens and come off of pin-downs just yet.

“That requires skill and still takes a lot of time. Once you buy in to playing and moving that way — JJ Redick and Joe Harris — that’s a skill. Trae has a skill with the ball. Those guys have a skill without the basketball, and it’s not get him off the ball, and he’s all of a sudden that. That’s a lot of commitment to movement and understanding you’re going to get the reward on the back end.”

So my questions are:  Have they actually incorporated this into the offense and is Trae willing to commit to it?  Can't have one without the other.

Now, I will say, when I talk about him moving without the ball, I'm not necessarily talking about him being Korver-esque, but he can't be a lamppost either when he gives up the ball. That's my concern at the moment.

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Funny you brought up KK. Believe Korver needs to start coaching in our camp to help our perimeter guys use one or more screens and then nail a three. May be an art form but it apparently is really hard work our camp is not interested in at the moment. As opposed to handling the ball as much I would rather Kevin run his tail off all game looking to receive a pass and score immediately from downtown. I do realize that we need our points to get healthy and back on the floor to help with this. 

This is where Rondo helps.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Sorry.  I thought it was obvious.  It was NOT serious. Call it sarcasm, TIC, whatever. The overreactions on here are hysterical. 

We actually have people saying Trae needs to prove the last 5 games are just a slump. I mean, did the 100 previous games not prove what Trae is capable of?

And Hunter has played really well for 5 games and all of a sudden he's "the best player on the team" cuz, hey, 5 games is apparently all this board needs to make definitive conclusions.  And I'm not bangin on Dre. I love his game and think he's going to be a beast before long, but come on. The hot takes are absurd. 

Trae's defense was abysmal in those previous 100 games LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

Trae is a liability at one time or another when he's on the floor. FACT

Edited by Bonkers
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Trae's defense was abysmal in those previous 100 games LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

Trae is a liability at one time or another when he's on the floor. FACT

Yeah no one was really complaining though as long as he's dropping 30/10.   

Every star has to deal with this.  Trae gets it worse than others though.   The last 5 games has been a clown parade on the offensive end but somehow it's all on Trae.  Yeah he has totally sucked but if anything it's exposed that a bunch of guys aren't that good when Trae isn't getting them good looks.   

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah no one was really complaining though as long as he's dropping 30/10.   

Every star has to deal with this.  Trae gets it worse than others though.   The last 5 games has been a clown parade on the offensive end but somehow it's all on Trae.  Yeah he has totally sucked but if anything it's exposed that a bunch of guys aren't that good when Trae isn't getting them good looks.   

@Peoriabird already covered what you're talking about buddy lol

On 1/10/2021 at 9:21 AM, Peoriabird said:

The thing that you continue to ignore is that it was his shooting over that period that made many accept his other flaws...I.E. poor shot selection, turnovers, poor defense, no off the ball movement, hero ball etc.  Now that his shot is broken, you can see the other flaws more clearly.

Just now, macdaddy said:

Yeah not really.   It wasn't his shooting.   I was his total control of the Hawks offense.   The fact that the team barely functioned when he wasn't on the court.   Short memories i guess. 

Of course the team could barely function. The team was full of rookies and Glorified G-League players and a 67 year old Vince Carter haha

Yall can be mad all u want

Trae was the one who came out and was visibly pouting like a lil baby. He's the one that seems to let sum petty lockeroom sh*t affect his play like some lil weak minded kid

That's his problem

Edited by Bonkers

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah not really.   It wasn't his shooting.   I was his total control of the Hawks offense.   The fact that the team barely functioned when he wasn't on the court.   Short memories i guess. 

That wasn't the case in the 1st Hornets game.  Trae was -16 while his back up was +10

• Thanks 1