• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Things we learned about the Hawks after they losing 4 straight games

Bonkers

Just now, Bonkers said:

Just what I said. He shouldn't be the one to lead this team

As talented as Trae can be he doesn't look like he has the mental makeup to be a leader

Leadership takes time though.  I 100% agree that look in the first game was not a good look on his leadership, but if he takes that and grows from it, I'm all for it.  

I just hope he improves on that end because it'll be good for the Hawks. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Leadership takes time though.  I 100% agree that look in the first game was not a good look on his leadership, but if he takes that and grows from it, I'm all for it.  

I just hope he improves on that end because it'll be good for the Hawks. 

I disagree with leadership takes time. I think leadership is something a person already has in them , like a gene. It isn't something that can be learned in my opinion

Now with that said, I think Trae can become a MATURE player and that won't happen again. But still I don't see him as the leader of this team

Edited by Bonkers

Let me also address something. No player on this team is above criticism.  First and foremost, I'm an Atlanta Hawks Fan.  If the Hawks were to trade Trae Young, I wouldn't care what he does with his career because it's not getting the Hawks that championship.  I don't want to come on here and say negative things and when they happen, be excited they are happening so that I can feel good about myself.  Negative things generally means the team is not doing well.  I try to be measured in my responses, but I am an Atlanta Hawks homer and will defend the players while they are Hawks.  I will also try to understand fair criticism of said players. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Bonkers said:

I disagree with leadership takes time. I think leadership is something a person already has in them. It isn't something that can be learned in my opinion

Now with that said, I think Trae can become a mature player and that won't happen again. But still I don't see him as the leader of this team

Agree with you here.  I think the problem is that there's this expectation that the best player on the team needs to be the leader of the team.  That is not the case.  Look no further than Kyrie to see how that pans out.  Trae doesn't have that leadership quality that makes guys respected on the court.  He's respected because hes GOOD but not because he's encouraging, holding guys accountable, setting examples, being mature, etc.  Steph Curry is the same way and it's O.K. to be the best player but not the leader.  Draymond is the vocal leader of that team and the guys respect him.  I think Hunter is our Draymond, but Trae and crew haven't quite realized it yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

I disagree with leadership takes time. I think leadership is something a person already has in them , like a gene. It isn't something that can be learned in my opinion

Now with that said, I think Trae can become a MATURE player and that won't happen again. But still I don't see him as the leader of this team

Not true at all.  Most great leaders had to learn how to be great leaders through failures and experiences.   

For example, you aren't the same person you were at 18 as you are now.  It's call maturing, but in basketball it can be call becoming a better leader because you are mature.

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Not true at all.  Most great leaders had to learn how to be great leaders through failures and experiences.   

For example, you aren't the same person you were at 18 as you are now.  It's call maturing, but in basketball it can be call becoming a better leader because you are mature.

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Agree with you here.  I think the problem is that there's this expectation that the best player on the team needs to be the leader of the team.  That is not the case.  Look no further than Kyrie to see how that pans out.  Trae doesn't have that leadership quality that makes guys respected on the court.  He's respected because hes GOOD but not because he's encouraging, holding guys accountable, setting examples, being mature, etc.  Steph Curry is the same way and it's O.K. to be the best player but not the leader.  Draymond is the vocal leader of that team and the guys respect him.  I think Hunter is our Draymond, but Trae and crew haven't quite realized it yet.

@marco102 agree to disagree *shrug*

• Moderators

No one was screaming at Trae any louder than me these last few games.   But this team, right now, is built around him.    He has to return to form or we are retooling for sure.  A few thoughts though

- I love Hunter but as well as he's played he's still shown no signs of being an aggressive scorer.   He's opportunistic.  Which is great but a long way from leading a team.

- Trae is never going to be a great defender but he's shown some good signs early in the year.   And I for one think he'll never be the off the ball player you guys are talking about.  That's just not who he is.   Even the great players have limitations.

- I wish we'd have paid Collins and didn't have that hanging over us.  I think he's been our most impactful player but that's in large part because he works so well with Trae (when they are playing together).  Collins isn't taking over a game on his own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

leadership can absolutely be learned

• Thanks 1

I'm not a bag fan of character assassinations. When guys aren't playing well, often fans turn to ad hominem attacks, which I'm not a fan off. What happened was not a good look for Trae, but sometimes we screw up, it happens. My thing is his floor game just isn't that great. He over dribbles, and for every brilliant pass there is a laughable turnover, and he looks clueless without the ball. Watching 19 year Lamelo Ball really reminded me what smart point guard play is supposed to look like. Economy of dribble, decisive decision making, good feel for when to score or pass, active on the boards even. Trae plays more like a less efficient Damian Lillard.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I'm not a bag fan of character assassinations. When guys aren't playing well, often fans turn to ad hominem attacks, which I'm not a fan off. What happened was not a good look for Trae, but sometimes we screw up, it happens. My thing is his floor game just isn't that great. He over dribbles, and for every brilliant pass there is a laughable turnover, and he looks clueless without the ball. Watching 19 year Lamelo Ball really reminded me what smart point guard play is supposed to look like. Economy of dribble, decisive decision making, good feel for when to score or pass, active on the boards even. Trae plays more like a less efficient Damian Lillard.

This is really recency bias here.  Trae's had plenty of better games as floor general as Lamelo.  This season his floor general skills def are down compared to last, but I'd say he's proven he has great vision and ability to be a good floor general. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, marco102 said:

This is really recency bias here.  Trae's had plenty of better games as floor general as Lamelo.  This season his floor general skills def are down compared to last, but I'd say he's proven he has great vision and ability to be a good floor general. 

There's such little patience given to Trae here. There's no excuse for the mental lapses and dumb plays, but I think some of the TOs this year have been a direct product of not yet being comfortable with Capela, Bogie, Gallo, and Solo and where those guys are going be consistently. He's tasked with being the floor general on a team with a ton of new players and several of those players are still trying to figure out how to coexist effectively.  

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You're master of the strawman rebuttal. I didn't say Lamelo is better, or will be better. I know Trae has had amazing games. But the over dribbling, the inefficiency, the turnovers and unwillingness to be active away from the ball are problems that aren't going away. His upside to be a great point guard is still there, let's hope it's just a slump.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

You're master of the strawman rebuttal. I didn't say Lamelo is better, or will be better. I know Trae has had amazing games. But the over dribbling, the inefficiency, the turnovers and unwillingness to be active away from the ball are problems that aren't going away. His upside to be a great point guard is still there, let's hope it's just a slump.

I agree with some of the flaws you point out in Trae's game. He most certainly has room to improve and hopefully he will continue to do so.  I actually think his defense - a MAJOR talking point by everyone last year - has shown to be a bit better at times this year, which only points to the work he puts in to improve.  I also think he's taken far less crazy 3's than we've seen in the past, something he's stated in interviews he wants to correct. So shot selection and defense have both been better at times.  The real problem, imo, was when his good shots weren't falling in the last few games, he resorted back to bad habits.  I think it just shows it's going to take some time. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

How is that a strawman when you were comparing Lamelo to Trae?  I'm saying it's a bad analogy if that's what you are attempting to do.