• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is there a Collins-Young schism or is this about money?

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

I read Trae Young is passing to John Collins less often. Here’s why that’s no big deal (yahoo.com)

Kalbrosky is saying that John Collins getting fewer touches is a function of the team adding more talent.  Cool, I get it.

What I don't get is allowing the offense to stray away from the most consistent player.  I suspect, like most, that the dustup revolves around JC getting a good contract.  But, why is that a problem? JC is the most efficient player.  Technically De'Andre Hunter is but it's so close that it's a tie.    If JC gets his touches the Hawks will play a more consistent style of offense.  More consistent offense means they win mores games. If the result of that is JC gets a bigger contract...everybody wins.  

• Moderators

I think there are more options for sure but issues this team has had aren't Trae/JC.   It's when those guys aren't on the court.   The top 8, 3 man combos on the team all include Collins.   And most include Trae (although not the top 2, full disclosure).

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Obviously something was said that really affected Trae.  I personally don't think it was as minor as some downplay it to be, but I don't think there's a rift.  Certainly if there ever was a rift, there's nothing left to it on the court.  Trae wants to win and he knows what kind of synergy he has with Collins.  What's happening with JC is a matter of team maturity, new talent, and teams coming after our bread and butter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think this is a problem for Collins but not for Trae. I think Collins or someone with his group leaked the film session info. Trae looks to be over it and he is  passing to everyone. The body language on the floor looks cordial and friendly enough between them. But it does not look the same.

If Hunter keeps this up, I look for him to overtake Collins in touches per game. A 3D SF with a .652 TS% is a natural fit with Trae. Collins and Capella are natural fits diving for lobs. While Collins is also useful shooting a three as well.

This is my hot take on the film session drama. Take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Teams been selling out to our PnR all season and were doing it last season. We just gotta make open 3s

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I think this is a problem for Collins but not for Trae. I think Collins or someone with his group leaked the film session info. Trae looks to be over it and he is  passing to everyone. The body language on the floor looks cordial and friendly enough between them. But it does not look the same.

If Hunter keeps this up, I look for him to overtake Collins in touches per game. A 3D SF with a .652 TS% is a natural fit with Trae. Collins and Capella are natural fits diving for lobs. While Collins is also useful shooting a three as well.

This is my hot take on the film session drama. Take it with a grain of salt.

That's an insane TS for a wing.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, NineOhTheRino said:

Kalbrosky is saying that John Collins getting fewer touches is a function of the team adding more talent.  Cool, I get it.

The only new player in the rotation against Philly was Capela and john got only 7 shots in that game all 3's.  This is not a increase in talent issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The only new player in the rotation against Philly was Capela and john got only 7 shots in that game all 3's.  This is not a increase in talent issue.

It's the offense that we're running.  And that's on the coaching.

LP would rather live with Trae taking a 35 footer off the dribble, than getting the ball to Collins on a set play.

And you can make the case that Collins' 3 point attempts need to be at 5 per game, which are roughly the number of 3 attempts that Hunter and Reddish take.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Teams been selling out to our PnR all season and were doing it last season. We just gotta make open 3s

That's an insane TS for a wing.

It is and his is not the best among SF who average 15 or more points per game. Hunter ranks 4th. Middleton, George, and Bridges have a higher TS%.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AHF said:

That .652 isn’t sustainable, fwiw.

Probably not. The 3PT% and FT% might be but shooting over .500 from the field is most likely not. These are his shooting splits.

51.8/43.5/85.3

9 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It's the offense that we're running.  And that's on the coaching.

LP would rather live with Trae taking a 35 footer off the dribble, than getting the ball to Collins on a set play.

And you can make the case that Collins' 3 point attempts need to be at 5 per game, which are roughly the number of 3 attempts that Hunter and Reddish take.

Huerter takes 6.0, Reddish takes 5.2, Hunter takes 4.6. and Collins takes 3.3. I imagine at least one three a game for everyone not named Collins is because they move better with the ball and take a three. Dribble, pump fake etc...

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

It is and his is not the best among SF who average 15 or more points per game. Hunter ranks 4th. Middleton, George, and Bridges have a higher TS%.

These are all a product of small sample size.  After 7 or so games, you see some people way out on the extremes of the bell curve.  Those extremes move towards the middle as the season progresses and you amass a more meaningful number of games.  Paul George, for example, has played over 22,000 minutes and has a career TS% of .567 and a career high of .589.  He isn't finishing the season at .675 unless he suffers a season ending injury.  Hopefully Hunter continues with his very significant improvement from last year's .521 but I don't see him sustaining his current scoring efficiency.

31 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Huerter takes 6.0, Reddish takes 5.2, Hunter takes 4.6. and Collins takes 3.3. I imagine at least one three a game for everyone not named Collins is because they move better with the ball and take a three. Dribble, pump fake etc...

We can start running specific plays to free up Collins for more 3 point shots, even if it means more guys outside of Trae, drive and kick the ball out to him.

This game was played for decades with ways to effectively get the ball to big men who could shoot.  The Hawks should at least be able to find more touches for Collins . . unless there's something more sinister going on.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

We can start running specific plays to free up Collins for more 3 point shots, even if it means more guys outside of Trae, drive and kick the ball out to him.

This game was played for decades with ways to effectively get the ball to big men who could shoot.  The Hawks should at least be able to find more touches for Collins . . unless there's something more sinister going on.

Seemed to be what they were doing last game.

• Like 2