• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Injury Updates?

capstone21

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I suspect you're right. It feel like the Hawks have been intentionally slow walking Cam's return, probably not wanting his return to occur during the pressure cooker of the playoffs. But if we we're to get past Philly somehow, and end up playing in the conference finals, the organization would be doing the team an enormous disservice by not playing our best wing defender. Once you're in ECF, you're have a legit shot to win a championship. All that developmental stuff goes out that window, it has to be all hands on deck. Cam's ability to guard a Middleton or a Durant has to be utilized. 

I agree, but maybe the dude just isn't where he needs to be to be able to suit up? The staff watches him everyday in practice it just blows my mind to consider they are holding him out for any reason outside of he's not ready to play. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my way of thinking, the only way Cam gets any playing time - The Hawks are short handed because several Hawk players are out with the flu or some other illness.  Then he plays.

Hopefully, he travels with the team and gets to be at the next games.

:sun:

28 minutes ago, AHF said:

His is out for the rest of the season in my book but good to hear that he "is past the injury."  If he is able to play at all in the playoffs, it will shock me but would be a welcome surprise.  It is a lot to ask for someone with his track record to step right into the crucible of playoff basketball, though.  Don't think TS is wrong about that at all.

We have seen many players have injuries that were out for a long and come back and play in the playoffs. It has happened many times. I disagree with this decision if he is past his injury. Clearly they are babying Cam. What is the harm of letting him go out there and play defense? They are letting rookie OO do that. No one is saying you have to play Cam 40 min, but if he is healthy, work him into the rotation. He has the size and athleticism do things no one else on this roster can. Very disappointed with this decision. 

46 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Cam Update per Schlenk on Radio this morning:

• Cleared Medically by staff
  • Still practicing 2v2 and 3v3 (no 5v5 mention)
  • Trying to get him reps to gain confidence
  • Difficult to get real practice runs in this time of the year
  • Unfair to ask him to go out in such a high intensity game when he has not played in 4 months and have not been able to run up and down the court as yet
  • The good thing is 'He is Past the Injury'

That's clearly what this is. Its unlikely we will see him even if we go to the ECF. 

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

In my way of thinking, the only way Cam gets any playing time - The Hawks are short handed because several Hawk players are out with the flu or some other illness.  Then he plays.

Hopefully, he travels with the team and gets to be at the next games.

:sun:

He has been travelling with the team.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

We have seen many players have injuries that were out for a long and come back and play in the playoffs. It has happened many times. I disagree with this decision if he is past his injury. Clearly they are babying Cam. What is the harm of letting him go out there and play defense? They are letting rookie OO do that. No one is saying you have to play Cam 40 min, but if he is healthy, work him into the rotation. He has the size and athleticism do things no one else on this roster can. Very disappointed with this decision. 

How many guys have been brought back in with as little experience as he has, with as long a layoff as he has had and with the struggles that Cam has had this season?  Nobody is jumping to mind for me as a comparable.  

It is very different for a vet who knows the game better than a guy with 84 career games to his name.  4 months off means he will be rusty as can be.  We've seen guys struggle pretty badly coming back from injury several times this season.

The decision should be made on what is best for the team.  I suspect that Nate doesn't have confidence that Cam is ready to step on the floor and make positive contributions and so sitting him makes perfect sense even if cleared.  As close as these games can be, we can't afford 10 minutes of "learning time" if Cam isn't fully dialed into the scheme and flow on defense and the possibility that other teams will absolutely leave him wide open on offense to brick jumpers (if he remains as out of rhythm as he was earlier this year) needs to be considered.  The difference with rookie OO is that OO was playing every night leading up to the playoffs.  

My guess is that he isn't 100% healthy and that Nate lacks the confidence in Cam's preparedness to step onto the floor and enhance the team's chances of winning.  That is purely my guess.  If Nate thinks he is ready to help the team, then I agree with you that we should bring him back after being cleared.  But my assumption is this just isn't the case.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

We have seen many players have injuries that were out for a long and come back and play in the playoffs

Name them and the circumstances under which they returned. How long were they out, what kind of practice regiment did they go thru so they could return etc.

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Name them and the circumstances under which they returned. How long were they out, what kind of practice regiment did they go thru so they could return etc.

This is just so different than something like Gordon Hayward's return last year when he was hurt during the  first round of the playoffs and then came back during the ECFs.  As a 29 year old vet, he knew exactly what he needed to do when he returned to the floor.  He missed 12 games so nowhere near the same layoff.  And he still struggled when he returned and talked about how difficult it was mentally to return to the floor.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

This is just so different than something like Gordon Hayward's return last year when he was hurt during the  first round of the playoffs and then came back during the ECFs.  As a 29 year old vet, he knew exactly what he needed to do when he returned to the floor.  He missed 12 games so nowhere near the same layoff.  And he still struggled when he returned and talked about how difficult it was mentally to return to the floor.  

All we need to ask Cam to do is play defense. God given length and lateral quickness, which he has in spades. Bother Harris or Curry. I'm not suggesting he take 20 shots. If he struggles then take him out. Are they worried about hurting his feelings? We have a chance to win an NBA title RIGHT NOW. It seems like the organization and the fans don't realize what could be at stake here.

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

We have a chance to win an NBA title RIGHT NOW.

Wait wut?  Didn't you say just yesterday that anyone thinking we could win a title this year was delusional?  If that wasn't you then I apologize, but I thought you said that just yesterday.  

Also, it's not like basketball is played like football where we can take Cam out on offense and put him in on defense.  He has to play both ends of the court.  I understand the *potential* he brings on defense, but I'm not sure it offsets the massive liability he would be on offense.  I don't want to give Philly any more of an advantage than they already have on that end of the court.   

11 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Wait wut?  Didn't you say just yesterday that anyone thinking we could win a title this year was delusional?  If that wasn't you then I apologize, but I thought you said that just yesterday.  

Also, it's not like basketball is played like football where we can take Cam out on offense and put him in on defense.  He has to play both ends of the court.  I understand the *potential* he brings on defense, but I'm not sure it offsets the massive liability he would be on offense.  I don't want to give Philly any more of an advantage than they already have on that end of the court.   

"Anything thinking we could win a title this year is delusional". No that quote is not attributed to me, sorry. His offense can't be any worse than Tony Snell. What's the harm in it? It's like people here just reflexively defend organizational decisions no matter what. If Cam was available on Wednesday, would you be disappointed to see him out there? No you would be excited. Let's see that god given length and lateral quickness. If he struggles then take him out. What is the downside? 

• Moderators
Just now, bleachkit said:

"Anything thinking we could win a title this year is delusional". No that quote is not attributed to me, sorry. His offense can't be any worse than Tony Snell. What's the harm in it? It's like people here just reflexively defend organizational decisions no matter what. If Cam was available on Wednesday, would you be disappointed to see him out there? No you would be excited. Let's see that god given length and lateral quickness. If he struggles then take him out. What is the downside? 

Again, this is a call that should be made by the coach depending on his view as to whether Cam would make us more likely to win in the playoffs than not.  But I do challenge the above statement.  Cam shoots a lot more than Snell when he is on the floor.  There is a big difference between a guy shooting poorly and an other guy shooting equally poorly but twice as often.  The guy who fires more actively hurts his team.  (Also, since we have a larger sample size over the regular season I can't help but note Snell's ~.700% TS% compared to Cam's .488% TS%).

I'll be excited if I see Cam because I'll believe that Nate has confidence Cam can help the team.  But I think a strong case can be made that Cam hurt the team this season when he was on the floor (and healthy) based primarily on his offensive struggles.  Cam has a lot of growth ahead of him and I love his potential but the playoffs aren't the place for giving guys experience at the expense of the team's chance to win.  If Nate doesn't play him, I am not going to criticize him because my assumption will be that he didn't think Cam's presence on the floor would help the team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AHF said:

How many guys have been brought back in with as little experience as he has, with as long a layoff as he has had and with the struggles that Cam has had this season?  Nobody is jumping to mind for me as a comparable.  

It is very different for a vet who knows the game better than a guy with 84 career games to his name.  4 months off means he will be rusty as can be.  We've seen guys struggle pretty badly coming back from injury several times this season.

The decision should be made on what is best for the team.  I suspect that Nate doesn't have confidence that Cam is ready to step on the floor and make positive contributions and so sitting him makes perfect sense even if cleared.  As close as these games can be, we can't afford 10 minutes of "learning time" if Cam isn't fully dialed into the scheme and flow on defense and the possibility that other teams will absolutely leave him wide open on offense to brick jumpers (if he remains as out of rhythm as he was earlier this year) needs to be considered.  The difference with rookie OO is that OO was playing every night leading up to the playoffs.  

My guess is that he isn't 100% healthy and that Nate lacks the confidence in Cam's preparedness to step onto the floor and enhance the team's chances of winning.  That is purely my guess.  If Nate thinks he is ready to help the team, then I agree with you that we should bring him back after being cleared.  But my assumption is this just isn't the case.

Forget just positive contributions. He hasn't played a full court game in awhile 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, AHF said:

Again, this is a call that should be made by the coach depending on his view as to whether Cam would make us more likely to win in the playoffs than not.  But I do challenge the above statement.  Cam shoots a lot more than Snell when he is on the floor.  There is a big difference between a guy shooting poorly and an other guy shooting equally poorly but twice as often.  The guy who fires more actively hurts his team.  (Also, since we have a larger sample size over the regular season I can't help but note Snell's ~.700% TS% compared to Cam's .488% TS%).

I'll be excited if I see Cam because I'll believe that Nate has confidence Cam can help the team.  But I think a strong case can be made that Cam hurt the team this season when he was on the floor (and healthy) based primarily on his offensive struggles.  Cam has a lot of growth ahead of him and I love his potential but the playoffs aren't the place for giving guys experience at the expense of the team's chance to win.  If Nate doesn't play him, I am not going to criticize him because my assumption will be that he didn't think Cam's presence on the floor would help the team.

All I'm saying is... TS confirmed today he has been cleared and is past his injury. So, let's at least consider the possibility that his length on defense could help us in short spurs. I'm sure a big part of is things we aren't privy too, like he looks in practice. No doubt Coach Nate is worried about turnovers and bad shots, rightfully so. But he has the natural length and quickness to play the Thybulle role for us.

I don't think we see him this series. If we do get to the ECF, I think there will be enough practice time before the ECF starts for them to fit in some 5 v. 5 and they can evaluate from there whether or not to let him play.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I don't think we see him this series. If we do get to the ECF, I think there will be enough practice time before the ECF starts for them to fit in some 5 v. 5 and they can evaluate from there whether or not to let him play.

Yea I doubt he plays in this series. 

• Like 1