• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Jazz

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

A Jazz beatwriter's perspective on how they defended Trae.

A good sign?

As good as the Jazz were offensively in large stretches, the real headliner Friday night was their defense against Young. By the end of the night, the Hawks star point guard was 1-for-11 from the field with four points. He had no impact offensively, and his night offensively was somehow much better than his night defensively, because the Jazz hunted him without mercy in pick-and-roll action.

This Jazz core has been pretty rocky in containing guards like Young, clever players who are dynamic off the dribble, dynamic shooters and playmakers. Utah didn’t advance to the second round of the playoffs because it couldn’t stop Jamal Murray, whom the Jazz will face on Sunday night). So, to handle Young the way the Jazz did was certainly an accomplishment.

We did a good job of showing hands, not fouling and not giving away anything easy,” Utah head coach Quin Snyder said. “We did a really good job of making him make contested shots.”

What the Jazz did against Young was layered, and involved both ends of the floor.

Utah made Young work on defense, involving him in the action as much as possible possession and running him through screens. It isn’t easy to do that, and be the focal point of the offense. But that’s the beauty of this Jazz team. Most teams have a guy Young can hide on. Everyone on the Jazz demands attention. Royce O’Neale handles the ball the least, but putting Young on him would have opened offensive rebound opportunities for the Jazz.

Defensively, the Jazz didn’t give Young much space. They blitzed a lot of his pick-and-roll action. They took away 3-point looks, and then funneled him to Rudy Gobert.

But here’s the context.

The Jazz sold out on Young, and were able to do so because there wasn’t another dynamic ballhandler on the floor capable of secondary creation off the dribble. Bogdan Bogdanovic would normally fit this role, but he was out on Friday night with injury. Ditto for Danilo Gallinari. So, Young was pretty much the only playmaker, and the Jazz took advantage. Other players hit some shots and made some plays. None of it was nearly enough.

Pierce has to design a strategy to counter a team 'selling out' on Trae. If he can't...

• Like 2

Another thing is, I dont like the Collins/Capela pairing on offense at all..Capela and Gallo would be much better. Gallo is a real stretch 4. He's Ready to shoot it(volume shooter) or make a play. Or at least get to the FT line....Collins is just a big who can shoot it a lil bit. So if we plan on keeping Capela around, we're gonna need a young stretch 4.. If we want to stick with Collins at PF, we're gonna need a defensive stretch 5(harder to find)..Just my 2 cents..

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, terrell said:

Trae Young avg 22 points doesn't even look real. smh

I'd take no issue if it was an efficient 22 points with another 3 to 4 assists and the Hawks were winning. Even with his mighty struggles he's still over 20+.

It would mean the burden of the offense would not be all up to him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'd take no issue if it was an efficient 22 points with another 3 to 4 assists and the Hawks were winning. Even with his mighty struggles he's still over 20+.

It would mean the burden of the offense would not be all up to him.

Im with you, it's all about efficiency. Give me an efficient 22 and 10 and that would be great.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'm not even sure Hawks stats provide any insight at this point.   Our wins have been really solid, definitive wins and our losses are atrocious.   There is no middle ground.   The stats make it look like things are decent when in reality they are just very good or very bad depending on the night. 

• Like 2

Capela cant shoot. At all. That alone makes him the bad fit. Defenses dont have to honor him outside of the paint, and that makes the pick roll game less effective. The pick and roll game is Trae's bread and butter. He is struggling with his offense so far. You see where this going.

Coach can get more creative with the pick and roll. But it needs to revolve around Trae and JC, not Clint. Clint needs to be the outlet for a big to big lob pass once Clints man cheats off him to  guard JC. 

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I'm not even sure Hawks stats provide any insight at this point.   Our wins have been really solid, definitive wins and our losses are atrocious.   There is no middle ground.   The stats make it look like things are decent when in reality they are just very good or very bad depending on the night. 

Excellent post!!! Seriously...maybe this is why I’m so damn frustrated about to lose my shit after these losses! Lol

58 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Capela cant shoot. At all. That alone makes him the bad fit. Defenses dont have to honor him outside of the paint, and that makes the pick roll game less effective. The pick and roll game is Trae's bread and butter. He is struggling with his offense so far. You see where this going.

Coach can get more creative with the pick and roll. But it needs to revolve around Trae and JC, not Clint. Clint needs to be the outlet for a big to big lob pass once Clints man cheats off him to  guard JC. 

I agree with this to an extent but if we go back to Trae and JC main pick and roll tandem can JC pass the ball/lob well enough to capela when he cuts to the rim if his man cheats???

if JC CAN.. many problems will be solved do to this little change and I love this idea but if JC can’t make those passes as the roller when clints man cheats then we are in the same boat of wasting offensive possessions.

But I really do like this suggestion! It just requires good playmaking skills at point which is there and at the 4 which is a mystery.

• Like 1

Just now, bleachkit said:

Hawks need to play better tonight.

I’m honestly not looking forward to it. I think the blazers are going to embarrass them....badly! Worst then yesterday . Atleast we stayed with the jazz for most of the game until end of the 3rd though 

2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Clint just needs to play the Damien Jones(but better) role...

25 minutes ago, terrell said:

Clint just needs to play the Damien Jones(but better) role...

Clint is actually playing well. The team can’t take advantage of what he gives them on a nightly basis. He gets a offensive rebound the team misses another shot. Disrupts a play defensively and the team goes back down the court and misses shot after shot.

Clint isn’t doing anything wrong he’s rebounding and defending ...setting screens. If this team can’t shoot around him that’s not really on him.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

100% this.. the good news is that means we have high peaks, so we need to eliminate the mistakes and work towards achieving those peaks consistently.  I have a golf analogy I'll see how it lands on here...

I played on my high school golf team and as a freshmen would put up scores around 40-45 on 9 holes... but I would always have a quadruple bogey or a couple triples in there, which sucked and my confidence was pretty low because it felt like I was always collapsing after good starts to a round.  My coach was always super high on me because if I could just focus mentally on every shot and not have that huge breakdown, I would be an excellent player / contributing to the team success.  What actually happened is I was stubborn and always tried to go for the big play (drive a par 4, 5 in two, aggressive down hill putts, etc.) and I never actually got into the mid-high 30s consistently. 

Anyways, hope the Hawks season turns out different than my short golf career.

• Thanks 2