• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The COG in the SYSTEM...

willthepureshooter

Is C L I N T  C A P E L A! 

Now, I see why the Rockets got rid of him. He's basically non-existent on offense and his defense under the basket is overrated. 

Just a few observations. 

Offense - The pick and roll with him doesn't stress the defense enough to make players collapse into the paint. His defender sags off and gladly accepts the penetrating guard while the remaining defenders stay at home. Leaving Clint wide open, spectating.

Defense - He's laterally slow and commits the absolute dumbest fouls I've seen this season so far. Guards are feasting on switches. There's times when he's lost on rotations, putting his teammates in terrible position as they scramble to help. His rebound positioning is also terrible! He continues to collect stupid fouls reaching over players for rebounds. Just lazy basketball. 

I know we're still early in the season but, he's hurting us on offense and defense.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, willthepureshooter said:

Is C L I N T  C A P E L A! 

Now, I see why the Rockets got rid of him. He's basically non-existent on offense and his defense under the basket is overrated. 

Just a few observations. 

Offense - The pick and roll with him doesn't stress the defense enough to make players collapse into the paint. His defender sags off and gladly accepts the penetrating guard while the remaining defenders stay at home. Leaving Clint wide open, spectating.

Defense - He's laterally slow and commits the absolute dumbest fouls I've seen this season so far. Guards are feasting on switches. There's times when he's lost on rotations, putting his teammates in terrible position as they scramble to help. His rebound positioning is also terrible! He continues to collect stupid fouls reaching over players for rebounds. Just lazy basketball. 

I know we're still early in the season but, he's hurting us on offense and defense.

Yes and no.

Your offensive assessment is dead on the money.  He sets very poor screens, and hardly ever makes contact on Trae's man.  This is what I've been talking about with our bigs.  They're not doing Trae any favors by not setting good screens and looking for a lob or a pass at the rim all the time.

Tonight, he was much better on offense, finishing around the rim. He even had a few good post up possessions.  But a lot of the touches that he gets, should be going to Collins.

Defensively, he's flat out saving us at times . . in the big lineup.  He and Collins are very good defensively together.  Where the Hawks are out of balance, is when LP tries to play Collins or Capela, with a smaller guy at the 4.   Those are moments in which the lazy fouls occur.  And some of us pointed out that he's not comfortable at all in the middle, when the Hawks go to a zone.

My vote for the COG in the system, is Solomon Hill.  He's the new Vince Carter.

• Like 3

It seems the offense is no longer free flowing. Clint ties up the lanes when the pick and roll isn't working, which takes away slashing opportunities from our guards. Defenses are literally allowing Trae to penetrate and make the difficult shot over bigs. Just take a look at the difference in activity from the first 3 games. Everyone seems lost when the pick and roll stalls. LP needs to make a decision and allow the offense to work the Trae and Hunter.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Yes and no.

Your offensive assessment is dead on the money.  He sets very poor screens, and hardly ever makes contact on Trae's man.  This is what I've been talking about with our bigs.  They're not doing Trae any favors by not setting good screens and looking for a lob or a pass at the rim all the time.

Tonight, he was much better on offense, finishing around the rim. He even had a few good post up possessions.  But a lot of the touches that he gets, should be going to Collins.

Defensively, he's flat out saving us at times . . in the big lineup.  He and Collins are very good defensively together.  Where the Hawks are out of balance, is when LP tries to play Collins or Capela, with a smaller guy at the 4.   Those are moments in which the lazy fouls occur.  And some of us pointed out that he's not comfortable at all in the middle, when the Hawks go to a zone.

I concur with this assessment.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Sure, but who the hell else are we going to play? For all the things Solo does poorly at least he plays. 

I concuured with the Capela conundrum and Gallo in lieu of Hill at the 4 when he returns.

On 1/16/2021 at 12:31 AM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Yes and no.

So you don’t feel capela sets good screens ? Or you don’t think he holds his screen long enough to make contact before rolling to the basket?

im not looking for an argument, just asking because I will admit that is something I have not noticed even when rewatching games. I completely missed this if true.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, JTB said:

So you don’t feel capela sets good screens ? Or you don’t think he holds his screen long enough to make contact before rolling to the basket?

im not looking for an argument, just asking because I will admit that is something I have not noticed even when rewatching games. I completely missed this if true.

I never really noticed the whole screen setting conundrum until North pointed it out. Our bigs rarely sets and hold a solid screen. It's a lot of slip screens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, JTB said:

He has a tendency to set good screens when he's running the offense and bad screens when he's going for an oop. Not the most consistent since joining the Hawks. That said, he's figuring out chemistry with Trae. Trae has a tendency to move a lot before a screen and gets his screen setters in trouble with offensive fouls. North is such a Bruno stan, he's not noticing that while overly noticing that if it happens to Bruno. 

That said, Capela screening has been getting better but it's not where it needs to be whereas JC is rarely good but his slip is the best in the NBA so it would be stupid to do otherwise. Capela doesn't quite have anywhere close to the slip that JC has. Shit, JC slip is the best in NBA history. 

Just now, JTB said:

Capela makes little to no contact on screens. He and Collins are notoriously bad about this. 

Damian Jones last year was the worst.  He was ALWAYS looking for the lob, and not making contact on screens.   Their screens allowed Trae's man to easily go underneath and cover him, while the roll man went to the rim.

If a small guard like Trae needs some space in order to score or make the correct play, the big should hold the screen longer to at least rub Trae's man to free Trae up. 

The only big on the team that consistently does this, is Bruno, which is also why he's not in position to receive lob or bounce passes going to the hole.  

Looking at Trae's shots, only 14 of his shots have been assisted on.  If people want Trae to be less ball dominant, who is going to help Trae get open looks or find him when open, on offense?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Capela makes little to no contact on screens. He and Collins are notoriously bad about this. 

Damian Jones last year was the worst.  He was ALWAYS looking for the lob, and not making contact on screens.   Their screens allowed Trae's man to easily go underneath and cover him, while the roll man went to the rim.

If a small guard like Trae needs some space in order to score or make the correct play, the big should hold the screen longer to at least rub Trae's man to free Trae up. 

The only big on the team that consistently does this, is Bruno, which is also why he's not in position to receive lob or bounce passes going to the hole.  

Looking at Trae's shots, only 14 of his shots have been assisted on.  If people want Trae to be less ball dominant, who is going to help Trae get open looks or find him when open, on offense?

Capela does make contact on some screens especially when he screening for Cam or Dre. Trae wants him to create minimal contact so Trae has more options. That's the part you keep forgetting. Trae knows that he wants on screens. Why else is Cam and Dre getting full body screens and Trae isn't. Because Trae don't want it. Capela was one of the best screen setters with Houston. You think he forgets to set big screens when he does it for Dre and Cam?

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

He has a tendency to set good screens when he's running the offense and bad screens when he's going for an oop. Not the most consistent since joining the Hawks. That said, he's figuring out chemistry with Trae. Trae has a tendency to move a lot before a screen and gets his screen setters in trouble with offensive fouls. North is such a Bruno stan, he's not noticing that while overly noticing that if it happens to Bruno. 

That said, Capela screening has been getting better but it's not where it needs to be whereas JC is rarely good but his slip is the best in the NBA so it would be stupid to do otherwise. Capela doesn't quite have anywhere close to the slip that JC has. Shit, JC slip is the best in NBA history. 

Wrong Supes. 

I watch every game, then go back and watch box score film on these guys all the time.  You can see exactly what is going on with the offense. 

Trae has no room to operate in the paint, when coming off the pick and roll.  People think that Capela is clogging up the paint for Collins, but it's really happening for Trae.  When Collins is at the 4, this offense has him on the outside, and not operating in the middle of the floor, where Collins excels at.

Teams are sagging back on the roll man, which eliminates the lob. And because our bigs aren't setting good screens, Trae's man is still in the vicinity when taking his floater.  

17 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Wrong Supes. 

I watch every game, then go back and watch box score film on these guys all the time.  You can see exactly what is going on with the offense. 

Trae has no room to operate in the paint, when coming off the pick and roll.  People think that Capela is clogging up the paint for Collins, but it's really happening for Trae.  When Collins is at the 4, this offense has him on the outside, and not operating in the middle of the floor, where Collins excels at.

Teams are sagging back on the roll man, which eliminates the lob. And because our bigs aren't setting good screens, Trae's man is still in the vicinity when taking his floater.  

You need to watch Capela some more. Why is he constantly delivering full screens for Dre and Cam but not for Trae if Trae didn't want it and it's clear the lob is there as we had so many yesterday and even some against Utah.

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Capela does make contact on some screens especially when he screening for Cam or Dre. Trae wants him to create minimal contact so Trae has more options. That's the part you keep forgetting. Trae knows that he wants on screens. Why else is Cam and Dre getting full body screens and Trae isn't. Because Trae don't want it. Capela was one of the best screen setters with Houston. You think he forgets to set big screens when he does it for Dre and Cam?

Cam and Dre are getting full body contact because Capela and Collins know that those two are looking for their own shot, and are not going to pass the ball to the roll man.

Trae will pass it to the roll man, but he needs space to make the proper decision.  Trae needs his man trailing behind him so that he can go right at the big in the paint.  If he has space enough to shoot the floater, he will.  If the big comes to hard, he'll dump it off or lob it up to a streaking Capela or Collins. 

That's the whole purpose to running pick and roll.  To create that mini 2 on 1 situation in the lane in which the P&R Distributor has the option to score or pass.  

Here are all of Trae's shots this season

https://tinyurl.com/y3ufzhju

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Cam and Dre are getting full body contact because Capela and Collins know that those two are looking for their own shot, and are not going to pass the ball to the roll man.

Trae will pass it to the roll man, but he needs space to make the proper decision.  Trae needs his man trailing behind him so that he can go right at the big in the paint.  If he has space enough to shoot the floater, he will.  If the big comes to hard, he'll dump it off or lob it up to a streaking Capela or Collins. 

That's the whole purpose to running pick and roll.  To create that mini 2 on 1 situation in the lane in which the P&R Distributor has the option to score or pass.  

Here are all of Trae's shots this season

https://tinyurl.com/y3ufzhju

Trae tells them how he wants them to screen man