• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Trail Blazers

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

To be honest, Trae been missing on lobs too this year a lot more than last. I really think the break might have impacted our guys more than expected. 

I mean, I sure as hell hope that's what it is.  Hunter has been the only consistent shooter we've had.  Trae had 1 good game and the rest he's been awful shooting (and awful in other ways for most of the games), Heurter has been chucking but he's had like 1 good shooting game... Cam has struggled a lot even though he shot well last night,  Bogi has been off quite a bit, Collins same way... we need Gallinari back so badly it's painful.

I honestly think coaching needs to let Trae be Trae and we can work in some other ball handlers/sets slowly.  I don't know if Trae is ever going to be the Rondo-esque point guard, and it feels like we're trying really hard to get him to that.  Our whole offensive system just looks so bad and easy to defend... like show me some off-ball screens and more double PnR action, anything honestly.  I'm so sick of watching us dribble around the perimeter, drive in halfway to the basket then kick it out and rinse/repeat.

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

He

Can't

Do

That

Who is he going to play?  Rondo and Goodwin?  If either guy were good enough to run the team successfully, they'd get plenty of PT to do it.

This is not High School. Coaches can't just sit their superstar down because they're not playing well. Both coach and player get paid far too much to do that.  They simply need to figure it out.

He most certainly CAN do it. It's not a question of CAN, it's a question of WILL.

This goes far beyond not playing well. All players go through stretches where they don't play well. No one shoots 100% from the field or gets the best of his opponent every time. That's normal and acceptable but Trae's decision-making is neither.

For better or worse, Trae is the straw that stirs the drink for the Hawks. He's our face of the franchise and star player. Everybody on the team is witnessing his antics - and it's costing us games and leads.

Yes, these guys get paid handsomely, but it's the Coach's job to maximize their chances at winning and to curb behavior that detracts from winning. That's what he gets paid handsomely to do. No one is saying sit Trae forever, or even a whole game, but make him come off the bench next game, or sit him a quarter or two to let him know crap's gotta stop. Of course, don't do any of it without having a man-to-man talk about it, and then stick to your guns. Trae needs to understand what he's doing is hurting the team - not helping - and if he cared, he'd make efforts to stop it. If he didn't care, then we have bigger problems...

And YES, that absolutely means playing Rondo and Goodwin to reinforce it even though they are clear downgrades to Trae from a talent level.  Sometimes you have to take a short term loss to create a long term gain. We've seen Pierce do something like this when he's played the bench (which generally isn't as talented as starters) for extended minutes when the starters were sucking it up (he did this quite a bit last year). 

Sometimes you have to send a message, and if Pierce is too scared to do so because "this isn't high school," well then, we need to be looking for a new HC next year because that's some weaksauce. This version of Trae can't continue...we won't be able to go anywhere with THIS version of Trae leading this team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, klharper said:

He’s just running around recklessly with no plan, going for the home run play anytime he gets a glimpse of one.  He misses so many “impossible layups/floaters” because he’s just running at bigs without any angle or advantage, hoping for a foul or a last minute bailout pass.  I get that’s part of his game, but it just ain’t working right now - he’s gotta have a more thought out approach.

Last year wasn't that much different in terms of shots. Trae was taking and making very difficult floaters and threes, regularly. Maybe it's just the law of averages catches up with him.

Just now, bleachkit said:

OO didnt get a single minute tonight. 

Actually why was OO and Reddish out tonight i didn't catch what went down before the game as i came in about half way through after work.  Was their reasons for both of them not playing at all?

Just now, terrell said:

We needed Haliburton..smh

I was one who was anyone but Haliburton because I didn't think having a backup PG with Trae who played like a legit all star at 21 was a good idea. Boy, Hali would have solved so many issues for us right now. That said, Hali is a better fit with Sacramento than Atlanta because touches are consistent in SAC. Not so much in Atlanta.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Maybe. I don't know. He was always a pretty good shooter. Right now, I see him and Kevin struggling shooting the rock this year compared to years past. The biggest thing i noticed is he is passing up good looks and setting for tough looks. 

But his floaters are the same floaters as always but they just aren't leaving his hands accurately. They look like Cam's. All over the place and Cam deaded the floater because he couldn't get it under control but Trae needs it. Maybe you are right, maybe the break messed with his shot.

Me and you noticed the same exact thing it looks like he was told to focus on passing the damn ball this year even when he has a good look instead of it just being natural with his passes in the offense. 

it could just be Trae but I really noticed  it until AFTER that call of from JC.

It all looks SET...like some nfl type shit where they do walkthroughs of the plays they will run vs the opponent unless they see a defense they scheme they weren’t expecting....in the hawks case it seem like Trae is looking to pass 3-5 possessions on purpose then deciding ...”ok that’s 3-5 possessions where I passed to my teammates now it’s my turn to shoot”

it’s killing me man! He did not do this last 2 seasons. If I knew he would get to this I would have never been such a big supporter. This isn’t a shooting slump this is a combination of shooting slump, personal team issues, and bad offensive scheme.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheTruth said:

He most certainly CAN do it. It's not a question of CAN, it's a question of WILL.

This goes far beyond not playing well. All players go through stretches where they don't play well. No one shoots 100% from the field or gets the best of his opponent every time. That's normal and acceptable but Trae's decision-making is neither.

For better or worse, Trae is the straw that stirs the drink for the Hawks. He's our face of the franchise and star player. Everybody on the team is witnessing his antics - and it's costing us games and leads.

Yes, these guys get paid handsomely, but it's the Coach's job to maximize their chances at winning and to curb behavior that detracts from winning. That's what he gets paid handsomely to do. No one is saying sit Trae forever, or even a whole game, but make him come off the bench next game, or sit him a quarter or two to let him know crap's gotta stop. Of course, don't do any of it without having a man-to-man talk about it, and then stick to your guns. Trae needs to understand what he's doing is hurting the team - not helping - and if he cared, he'd make efforts to stop it. If he didn't care, then we have bigger problems...

And YES, that absolutely means playing Rondo and Goodwin to reinforce it even though they are clear downgrades to Trae from a talent level.  Sometimes you have to take a short term loss to create a long term gain. We've seen Pierce do something like this when he's played the bench (which generally isn't as talented as starters) for extended minutes when the starters were sucking it up (he did this quite a bit last year). 

Sometimes you have to send a message, and if Pierce is too scared to do so because "this isn't high school," well then, we need to be looking for a new HC next year because that's some weaksauce. This version of Trae can't continue...we won't be able to go anywhere with THIS version of Trae leading this team.

Seriously.

The only portions of this game I enjoyed involved Trae not on the court.  I enjoy the heck out of BG and Rondo because they are playing with heart and looking for advantages.

• Like 3

Just now, Threezus said:

Actually why was OO and Reddish out tonight i didn't catch what went down before the game as i came in about half way through after work.  Was their reasons for both of them not playing at all?

Cam had a nick from the night before and didn't have time to recover with a B2B. My guess was they didn't feel Okongwu was ready for a B2B yet

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JTB said:

Me and you noticed the same exact thing it looks like he was told to focus on passing the damn ball this year even when he has a good look instead of it just being natural with his passes in the offense. 

it could just be Trae but I really noticed  it until AFTER that call of from JC.

It all looks SET...like some nfl type shit where they do walkthroughs of the plays they will run vs the opponent unless they see a defense they scheme they weren’t expecting....in the hawks case it seem like Trae is looking to pass 3-5 possessions on purpose then deciding ...”ok that’s 3-5 possessions where I passed to my teammates now it’s my turn to shoot”

it’s killing me man! He did not do this last 2 seasons. If I knew he would get to this I would have never been such a big supporter. This isn’t a shooting slump this is a combination of shooting slump, personal team issues, and bad offensive scheme.

Yep, this is exactly what it feels like, which effectively boils down to coaching.

Speaking of which, Kirschner just asked Lloyd why the 3 ball isn't falling, and LP is saying "thats just how NBA works" like it's a law of averages problem.  The guys clearly aren't playing comfortable basketball and there is definitely a shot selection issue, but he's just chalking it up to "oh well we just don't make 3s sometimes........."  I'm about ready to stamp my get Lloyd out of here ticket.  His post game press conferences annoy me to no end.  Take some accountability for the game.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, klharper said:

Seriously.

The only portions of this game I enjoyed involved Trae not on the court.  I enjoy the heck out of BG and Rondo because they are playing with heart and looking for advantages.

Rondo knows how to run an offense. Things flows with him

• Like 1

Just now, bleachkit said:

Trae has to have his floater going, or his three ball. If neither is going he's screwed. Last year, in games when he had both going he was basically unstoppable. 

He is extremely reliant on good shooting and his floater. We can't afford for him to have shooting slumps like Cam who's a million times better defensively. 

• Like 2

Just now, NBASupes said:

Cam had a nick from the night before and didn't have time to recover with a B2B. My guess was they didn't feel Okongwu was ready for a B2B yet

Fair enough on Cam didn't know that which is a shame his length and defense would have helped tremendously on Dame. 

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Last year wasn't that much different in terms of shots. Trae was taking and making very difficult floaters and threes, regularly. Maybe it's just the law of averages catches up with him.

He’s mentally paralyzed himself.  He’s hearing that his play isn’t sustainable and the press around Nash’s comments got in his head.  This is his first bout with serious criticism (not only from media but also his own team) probably in his whole career.  Now that the expectations are high and accountability is needed, he is making poor decisions, passing up good looks because of his self-consciousness about his shot, and trying to make up for it with hero ball that is doomed to fail when he hasn’t been in rhythm all game.  You can just kinda predict the missed shots and TO’s now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, JTB said:

Honestly I’m disappointed that we aren’t calling more plays for him . He hit that size up mid range jumper a few times tonight and it reminded me of David West. If collins can make that size up midrange a go to move then he needs plays for him a lot more as well as hunter 

Hunter reminds me so much of Joe Johnson when he’s aggressive at mid range but of course we don’t see it enough.

Pierce really need to start calling plays for Hunter and Collins more. And I don’t understand why they take so long with throwing in entry passes to the post smh 

I agree that we need to call more plays for him.   And he did hit the midrange shot a few times, but he doesn't take it immediately all the time.  He struggled on post ups tonight, which surprised me.

If he wants to be prime Lamarcus Aldridge, then he needs to not hesitate if he has an open 18 footer.

• Like 1