• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Capela is much better than I thought!!

Wurider05

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

That has more to do with JC backup being Solo more than anything

Explain ?

I gotta give JC props he’s playing better defensively with capela by his side. Not just statically but by the eye test as well.

not to discount some of the good hill has done.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, JTB said:

Explain ?

I gotta give JC props he’s playing better defensively with capela by his side. Not just statically but by the eye test as well.

JC is playing better defense, stats and eye test. Still a work in progress but better.

LPs 1st substitution is usually Capela for Hill with JC sliding to Center. Then JC gets subbed out to bring Cap back in, then Hunter gets subbed in for Hill at PF. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JTB said:

Explain ?

High metrics is sometimes about who your backup is compared to how good you really are. 

JC defense has improved this year but nowhere near as much as his metrics are showcasing this year. Even Trae defensive metrics are overrated this year 

• Moderators

To me just glancing at the best combos this year my takeaways are:

- Trae / Collins is still very effective

- Trae / Collins even more effective with Capela on the court.   (probably because defense and rebounding is so much better)

- Collins without Trae on the court isn't that great (statistically)

- Capela is needed anchor for when Trae is on the bench.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I don't think we would have been seeing so much Hill (at PF or even at all) if we had Gallo healthy.

You cant fault LP for injuries.

If you believe Bruno or Knight are a better PF option then sure, go for it. But based on interviews alone, I can tell Hill speaks the kind of language and has the understanding of his expectations that LP feels way more confident in.

Vince talked well too.  That doesn't mean that playing Vince at PF was the best option for the team.

The numbers pretty much prove that Bruno balances out the team, if another big is playing alongside him.

Solo talks big.  

His hair is big.

But he is not a big.

Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Vince talked well too.  That doesn't mean that playing Vince at PF was the best option for the team.

The numbers pretty much prove that Bruno balances out the team, if another big is playing alongside him.

Solo talks big.  

His hair is big.

But he is not a big.

Actually, Bruno balances out the team even when playing alongside Solo . . mainly because the offense still functions.

"Capela is better than we thought."

Someone on his former team, after the trade, stated that Capela was working on being on the all star team and he believed that he belonged there.  If his former team believed he was this good then, why are we not?  

Capela was playing well in our last game.  Our other three big centers couldn't get on the floor at all.  Instead, Collins switched over briefly and Capela would draw a breath or two and come right back in.  Hopefully Bruno, Nathan and Agent 0017 will touch the playing floor tonight.

:smug:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Solo talks big.  

His hair is big.

But he is not a big.

Actually, Bruno balances out the team even when playing alongside Solo . . mainly because the offense still functions.

Do you really want Bruno to get significant minutes? Maybe I'm alone here but I haven't seen anything out of Bruno, and he needs a lot of work. He's always in the wrong place, usually makes the wrong decision, doesn't use his size and athleticism to his advantage, and simply not playable at this point. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't know if he's slimmed down or not, but he's definitely more conditioned. Doesn't seem to be lumbering and laboring up and down the court like his first few games.

Probably a combination of conditioning and just getting back to being fully healthy.  After a major injury layoff, most guys come back and are out of sync for a bit.  He seems like he has finally really gotten comfortable over the last week or so.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, DS5 said:

Do you really want Bruno to get significant minutes? Maybe I'm alone here but I haven't seen anything out of Bruno, and he needs a lot of work. He's always in the wrong place, usually makes the wrong decision, doesn't use his size and athleticism to his advantage, and simply not playable at this point. Just my opinion. 

You forgot his hands of stone.

Bruno doesn't look like an NBA caliber player so far. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DS5 said:

Bruno should be getting 12 - 16 minutes a game, to keep the team balanced with 2 bigs in the game.

LP flat out failed to develop Bruno in any capacity last season.  We wasted minutes playing a guy who we knew we weren't going to keep, in Damian Jones.  Then we also played a retiring SF in Vince Carter at PF.  When you talk about players making mistakes, no one has made more mistakes on the court than Cam Reddish.  But because he was a lottery pick, LP allowed Cam to play through his mistakes.  Bruno, on the other hand, barely could tie his shoe wrong, before being yanked out of the game.

As I have illustrated time and again, the team tends to play better with Bruno on the floor, because he sets the type of screens that frees our ball handlers up for easy, wide open shots.  And the defense normally doesn't completely break down when Bruno is on the court, because he clogs up the paint.

A guy like Solomon Hill is useless to the Hawks, unless he's making shots.  When he plays the 4, he defends and rebounds like a 2 guard, which is not good.  It's not a coincidence that the Hawks struggle when it's Capela + Hill . . or Collins + Hill in the game.  He's literally the only guy on the team that posts a negative 2-man lineup number ( -4.8 pts per 100 possessions ) alongside Collins, who is our best +/- guy right now.  And that possession number gets worse with Capela ( -7.8 pts per 100 possessions ).

Ironically, Solo only posts a positive number alongside one big . . Bruno Fernando ( +5.8 pts per 100 possessions )

With Hunter out vs Detroit, let's see what LP does.  Does he go big, and play the kids?  Or does he give Solo 28 minutes?

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Bruno should be getting 12 - 16 minutes a game, to keep the team balanced with 2 bigs in the game.

LP flat out failed to develop Bruno in any capacity last season.  We wasted minutes playing a guy who we knew we weren't going to keep, in Damian Jones.  Then we also played a retiring SF in Vince Carter at PF.  When you talk about players making mistakes, no one has made more mistakes on the court than Cam Reddish.  But because he was a lottery pick, LP allowed Cam to play through his mistakes.  Bruno, on the other hand, barely could tie his shoe wrong, before being yanked out of the game.

As I have illustrated time and again, the team tends to play better with Bruno on the floor, because he sets the type of screens that frees our ball handlers up for easy, wide open shots.  And the defense normally doesn't completely break down when Bruno is on the court, because he clogs up the paint.

A guy like Solomon Hill is useless to the Hawks, unless he's making shots.  When he plays the 4, he defends and rebounds like a 2 guard, which is not good.  It's not a coincidence that the Hawks struggle when it's Capela + Hill . . or Collins + Hill in the game.  He's literally the only guy on the team that posts a negative 2-man lineup number ( -4.8 pts per 100 possessions ) alongside Collins, who is our best +/- guy right now.  And that possession number gets worse with Capela ( -7.8 pts per 100 possessions ).

Ironically, Solo only posts a positive number alongside one big . . Bruno Fernando ( +5.8 pts per 100 possessions )

With Hunter out vs Detroit, let's see what LP does.  Does he go big, and play the kids?  Or does he give Solo 28 minutes?

Bruno should have been in college park this year but COVID ruined that.