• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

De'Andre Hunter: The Steady Eddy

JayBirdHawk

I need us to show up on National TV.

We do fine on NBA TV which barely counts, but ESPN, TNT, etc..., we always look off.

We are 5-4 overall on Natty television

4-2 on NBA TV

1-1 on ESPN

0-1 on TNT

I need us to wake some people up ahead of the postseason.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Nate must have really worked on his criticisms because one thing I heard was that he was all work and didn't have a relationship with his players outside of basketball.

Now I'm half expecting a clean sweep just to top it all off.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Interesting. He doesn’t seem like a talker. It is good that he is being more vocal. I know that was one of his goals this season. Seems like he is still communicating even though he missed a lot of time on the floor.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I expect him to be better offensively in the next series.  He had a offensive rating of 95 in the series (only Gallo was lower at 93).  His 107 defensive rating wasn’t notable either (Bogi, Kevin, and Gallo all slightly higher) but that’s clearly a function of how many positions he guards.  His assist to turn (3 to 7) and his poor shooting (40%) luckily didn’t hurt us.  John killed it at 130 to 104 off the strength of a .665 TS%, only 2 turnovers, and bottling up Randle.

I like Luka no question but for all the fanfare he’s getting Trae (120 to 110) is killing his first round ratings (111 to 120) on lower usage.  If you dig into the numbers Kleber, Brunson, and Porzingis are making the difference while Luka does the heavy lifting and anchoring.  You’re splitting hairs as to who’s running the PNR better they're both virtually flawless.

I believe Deandre Hunter will have a good series against philly. Just matches up well. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Nate must've realized the best way to bond with his young players is to watch a lot more Nickelodeon.

~lw3

All I had was watching the muppets mom’s colorful socks 🧦 

Must be nice...

• Premium Member

The luxury of having someone like De’Andre Hunter on the Hawks’ roster is the versatility he offers. That versatility puts every player who shares the floor with him in a better position, and it makes coach Nate McMillan’s job a bit easier.

Hunter showed early in the season he has the lateral quickness to guard someone such as Kyrie Irving and the physicality to limit Julius Randle, which he did in the Hawks’ first-round series against the Knicks.

Without him through two games against Philadelphia, the Hawks are missing his presence. They do not have the defensive talent to guard someone such as Joel Embiid, who’s been otherworldly for the Sixers in both games while doing this on a slightly torn meniscus, and Tobias Harris, Seth Curry and Ben Simmons.

What hurts about not having Hunter, who’s missed both games with right knee soreness, is he can guard any of those players one-on-one, save for Embiid. That potentially limits one of Philly’s scoring options while letting the four other Hawks focus more on their individual matchups. The Hawks haven’t played well defensively in both games. Part of that is because they’ve turned the ball over far too often, and against this Sixers team, those turnovers will haunt them.

Hunter would also be a massive upgrade over Solomon Hill, who’s started both games at small forward in place of him. Hill’s defense is spotty at best, and he doesn’t offer anything on the other end of the floor. If Hunter continues to miss time, it might behoove the Hawks to place Kevin Huerter in the starting lineup as he’s shown consistency all postseason and gives them a good defender and shooter on the floor. McMillan suggested after Game 2 that he prefers Huerter with the second unit, though.

In this series, the Hawks lack the individual defenders needed to slow down the Sixers. Bogdan Bogdanovic can’t effectively guard Harris or Curry. Hill hasn’t slowed down Harris. John Collins isn’t strong enough to offer Capela help on Embiid. It’s a tall ask for the Hawks to offer resistance on that end of the floor without Hunter, and it’s showed in both games, despite them winning Game 1.

“We miss him a lot,” Trae Young said of Hunter. “You definitely miss his presence, especially on the defensive end. He’s a great on-ball defender and a help-side defender. He’s really good at reading defenses. At the same time, he can score on the other end, too. We’re definitely missing a big piece of our offense and our defense with ‘Dre being out, but no one feels sorry for us. We still have to find a way to win.”

“That’s something Philly has. They have a lot of big bodies,” Huerter said. “It would be another guy for us who’s a help defender. A lot of times he’d (be) a primary defender on Tobias or Ben. You saw that in the last series. He was able to guard Julius a little bit. It would be great to have him.”

The Hawks certainly could beat the Sixers and advance to the Eastern Conference finals. They have the shooters and a variety of perimeter playmakers to carry them past Philly. It’s just a harder task to complete when one of the most important players is watching from the bench.

“We absolutely miss him. … We’re a better ballclub when he’s out on the floor with us,” McMillan said.

We really miss this guy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1