• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Vote for Trae, Clint, JC, and De'Andre for the All Star game

NBASupes

4 hours ago, hawkman said:

I have no reason to watch the All Star game this season. It's probably going to be lame as usual anyway.

The fourth quarter was f&@kin epic last seasons save for the lack of subs.

I ain’t tripping but Clint is such a hard worker and good dude I would’ve liked to see him honored in arguably his best season.  I’m just not a Trae Guy but helping lead his team to a better record at the break than last season with a better advanced defensive metric with no selection doesn’t jibe at all.

Edited by benhillboy

On 2/21/2021 at 12:18 PM, kg01 said:

We're talking about Beal, not Trae.

Just because Trae was a bad defender, and was rightfully criticized for it, doesn't mean Beal isn't as well.  If Trae was worst, Beal wasn't far behind.  And that's despite having the size and athleticism to be better, which is a far, far worse offense in my book.

I'm not some fanboy ignoring our guys' faults.  That's just not what this discussion is about.  My comments were in regards to why I think Beal's selection was questionable.   We've already had the discussion on why it could be argued Trae's inclusion was bad as well.

Beal was a worse rated defender than Trae last season.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 5:21 PM, macdaddy said:

Yeah.  I don't get where Beal doesn't get blame for the Wizards sucking.   Trae got so much blame for the Hawks sucking and he was only in his second year and playing with a lot of rookies.   Beal is a vet who's supposed to be a top 10 player in the league but can't even get his team out of the basement. 

There is simply no statistical argument for Beal being an all-star over Trae...especially this season. There can be a feel good (he's been snubbed...bla-bla-bla) argument, but that is it. Trae is having his best season to date, the Hawks are better off than they were...and this is with basically the same lineup as last season minus Hunter over the past few weeks.

• Moderators

Trae needs to get this team into the playoffs and then he will get the benefit of the doubt.  He has the opposite of that today - they go against him when it is remotely arguable.  Really hate that he missed some good shots and some bad shots down the stretch as we had that terrible loss last night.  Reinforces the bias against him (while every bad Boston loss does nothing to take the shine off any Celtic).

• Like 4

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, AHF said:

Trae needs to get this team into the playoffs and then he will get the benefit of the doubt.  He has the opposite of that today - they go against him when it is remotely arguable.  Really hate that he missed some good shots and some bad shots down the stretch as we had that terrible loss last night.  Reinforces the bias against him (while every bad Boston loss does nothing to take the shine off any Celtic).

I don't honestly think playoffs will even matter.  Trae is irrationally hated.  I mean he improved in every way including defense and 'winning' and went from all star starter to not making it in his home town.   That's not just 'well there are a lot of deserving guys' that's 'we're going to show this guy up'.   

• Like 3

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't honestly think playoffs will even matter.  Trae is irrationally hated.  I mean he improved in every way including defense and 'winning' and went from all star starter to not making it in his home town.   That's not just 'well there are a lot of deserving guys' that's 'we're going to show this guy up'.   

I think some people are saying "All-Star Starter" like that means he would have been selected last season.  All-Star Starter means the fans voted for you.  I don't think Trae would have gotten in last year and would have been sidelined with Beal under the label "big numbers on bad teams."  

I do think Trae bringing the team to the playoffs and giving a respectable performance will earn him more respect, especially in things like All-Star selections.  

Teams that are viewed as playoff teams get the edge in playoff selections.  Trae getting passed on tells me the selectors don't think we are a real playoff team this season and Trae is viewed as a young guy still putting up numbers on a bad team.

• Like 2

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think some people are saying "All-Star Starter" like that means he would have been selected last season.  All-Star Starter means the fans voted for you.  I don't think Trae would have gotten in last year and would have been sidelined with Beal under the label "big numbers on bad teams."  

I do think Trae bringing the team to the playoffs and giving a respectable performance will earn him more respect, especially in things like All-Star selections.  

Teams that are viewed as playoff teams get the edge in playoff selections.  Trae getting passed on tells me the selectors don't think we are a real playoff team this season and Trae is viewed as a young guy still putting up numbers on a bad team.

Yeah.  I mean that makes sense but then you've got Ingram last year, Randle, Vuc, Lavine that it doesn't apply to.   Although i have no issues with Randle and Lavine this season.  they deserve it. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah.  I mean that makes sense but then you've got Ingram last year, Randle, Vuc, Lavine that it doesn't apply to.   Although i have no issues with Randle and Lavine this season.  they deserve it. 

I just think Trae is always going to be an edge case if the Hawks aren't making respectable playoff runs.  If the Hawks hadn't gone 2-5 in their 7 games leading up to the selection and had instead gone 4-3 so they were 15-15 and tied for the 5th seed when the selection was made instead of 13-17 and 10th in the East I bet he makes it.

If the Hawks become a perennial playoff team (even if not a true contender), I think Trae will be a perennial All-Star.  IMO, it will be a rare year where he doesn't deserve to make the list but he won't actually get the traction he wants until the Hawks are competing in the playoffs.

• Like 2

• Admin

The team is terrible right now and there is more then just scoring that makes a player great.  Simmons is one of the best defenders in the league and he is a huge reason for Philly's success ... Brown is an all around player who is having a great season and is an excellent defender in his own right.  

If the Hawks had a better record Trae would have gotten more consideration.  The team is just flat right  now when the selection for All Stars is going on.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

You can't say this is about team success when THREE BACKUPS are on LOSING teams. TWO of them from the same LOSING team. 

The Boston guys have won in the playoffs for the last 4 years and are currently projected to make the playoffs so they will get the benefit of the doubt.  Add in the Boston bias factor and it really helps them both.

Lavine is another edge case guy like Beal, Trae, etc.

• Moderators

The case for 2 Celtics with middling (for all stars) stats is getting weaker every day.   It was supposedly winning but they have one more win than the Hawks.   It was supposedly defense and Hawks have crushed them twice.  It was playoffs from another season.  It was the Hawks haven't been good lately leading up to the vote.   

But this is Trae Young's last 18 games.   It is not performance that kept Trae out.   

29.8 PTS 3.9 REB 10.2 AST 1.1 STL 47% FG 44% 3P 87% FT +43 +/-

There are 3 players in the NBA with pts>25 and assists>8.   Their respective teams have won 14,15 and 17 games.  2 are all star starters.  One isn't in the game.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The case for 2 Celtics with middling (for all stars) stats is getting weaker every day.   It was supposedly winning but they have one more win than the Hawks.   It was supposedly defense and Hawks have crushed them twice.  It was playoffs from another season.  It was the Hawks haven't been good lately leading up to the vote.   

But this is Trae Young's last 18 games.   It is not performance that kept Trae out.   

There are 3 players in the NBA with pts>25 and assists>8.   Their respective teams have won 14,15 and 17 games.  2 are all star starters.  One isn't in the game.  

I still think the combination of (a) just being the Celtics and in media hub Boston and (b) the Celtics having won at least one playoff series every season for the last 4 years got them the benefit of the doubt.  I don't think it was earned or the right decision.  Again, I think once Trae takes a team to the playoffs and they compete respectably that he will be an automatic invite year after year to the AS game.  Maybe I'm naive but he is good enough to earn it and I think the perception that he is just putting up bad numbers on a team that never does anything meaningful puts him in a bag with a half dozen other guys every year as far as AS reserve selections.

27 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's as much of a popularity contest for the coaches and players as it is for the fans but they wanna stand on their high horse like they're above it all.

• Like 3