• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Mavericks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Conversely it seems like you are saying any shot that doesn't go in is bad.   I don't believe that.   

There are bad shots that happen to go in like a lot of Trae's shots in the 1st half.  The those same shots stop falling in the 2nd half which is why he was didn't hit a shot in the 3rd quarter and only 1 in the 4th.

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You guys are amazing! Trae was taking bad shots all game long...particularly in the 3rd quarter! There was a reason he only hit 1 shot out of 8 tries in the 2nd half. You don't start worrying about your shot selection when you start losing or in the 4th quarter. Good teams try to get good shots all 4 quarters.  The other thing I cannot understand with this board is the notion that a shot is only bad when it doesn't go in. Launching a bunch 3's which is LP team's MO is not the way to consistently win. And why Cam Reddish continues to shoot 3's is beyond my comprehension.

The Hawks are 16th in the NBA in 3pt attempts per game. They are 16th in 3pt frequency at 39%.  But your argument / complaint is that they take too many?  Really?  

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

There are bad shots that happen to go in like a lot of Trae's shots in the 1st half.  The those same shots stop falling in the 2nd half which is why he was didn't hit a shot in the 3rd quarter and only 1 in the 4th.

The biggest reason he only hit 1 attempt in the second half is because he shot less.  He shot 16 times in the first half and only 7 times in the second half.  He missed all 3 "non-long" shot attempts (i.e., shots inside or at the 3pt line) in the 2nd half.  Looking at his shot chart, it looks like he shot a total of 4-9 on 3pt attempts that were a long distance back from the line for the game.

I'm not a huge fan of these shots (particularly early in the clock) but he has been much more productive on them than I would have expected.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Just now, REHawksFan said:

The Hawks are 16th in the NBA in 3pt attempts per game. They are 16th in 3pt frequency at 39%.  But your argument / complaint is that they take too many?  Really?  

Yep because some games they get it don't take a lot. Those games they tend to win. Other games, they take almost 10 a quarter and if they hit them they win...if not, they lose.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

The biggest reason he only hit 1 attempt in the second half is because he shot less.  He shot 16 times in the first half and only 7 times in the second half.  He missed all 3 "non-long" shot attempts (i.e., shots inside or at the 3pt line) in the 2nd half.  Looking at his shot chart, it looks like he shot a total of 4-9 on 3pt attempts that were a long distance back from the line for the game.

I'm not a huge fan of these shots (particularly early in the clock) but he has been much more productive on them than I would have expected.

It should be zero unless it's an end of clock or half situation.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Like I said, every shot that goes in isn't necessity a good shot

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Yep because some games they get it don't take a lot. Those games they tend to win. Other games, they take almost 10 a quarter and if they hit them they win...if not, they lose.

This just isn't true.  

In 11 Wins:  34.6 attempts

In 13 losses:  35.5 attempts

They avg 35.1 att per game.

In games where they take LESS THAN 35 3pt attempts:  3-7

In games where they take MORE THAN 35 3pt attempts:  8-6

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

This just isn't true.  

In 11 Wins:  34.6 attempts

In 13 losses:  35.5 attempts

They avg 35.1 att per game.

In games where they take LESS THAN 35 3pt attempts:  3-7

In games where they take MORE THAN 35 3pt attempts:  8-6

Making threes opens up the pick and rolls and pretty much everything else for Trae Young. It's obvious the Hawks need to take them and make them. The ones we could do without are the logo heaves with lots of time on the clock that almost never go in. Not against the deep ones Trae takes but he needs to be a tad more selective with those. 

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

Making threes opens up the pick and rolls and pretty much everything else for Trae Young. It's obvious the Hawks need to take them and make them. The ones we could do without are the logo heaves with lots of time on the clock that almost never go in. Not against the deep ones Trae takes but he needs to be a tad more selective with those. 

Agreed. I hate the early clock 3s with no one under the basket. Hes cut way down on that though. 

• Like 3