• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Next man up: Nate McMillan

sturt

Hope you all aren’t that excited about strong defensive minded Nate Mcmillan. He got put out of Indiana solely due to his lack of modern style offense.

Offense is our biggest issue. We have been ranked 13th for most the season defensively and we’ve trended down to 18th but a lot of that is due to hunters absence and relying more on Gallo to give us some defense which wasn’t going to happen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2906344-report-pacers-were-frustrated-nate-mcmillan-didnt-scheme-a-modern-offense.amp.html

not crapping on nate after all he does have a winning record as head coach but he’s not the answer to these bad offensive nights this team goes through and honestly Nate reminds me a lot of woody I’m not at all surprised that his offensive scheme in Indiana was too old school.

At the end of the day I can’t express enough how badly we need a head coach who knows how to conduct a modern style offense and know how to use the weapons we have. Offense isn’t everything I know but it’s a strength we have that’s not being used properly 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sadly we won’t get any real idea of what a McMillan led team would look like. He can’t do anything more than basically mirror what Pierce’s philosophies have been. But maybe we’ll see some sort of energy boost from the guys wanting to get Nate some hype for replacing Pierce. Who knows?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Eddielives said:

Sadly we won’t get any real idea of what a McMillan led team would look like. He can’t do anything more than basically mirror what Pierce’s philosophies have been. But maybe we’ll see some sort of energy boost from the guys wanting to get Nate some hype for replacing Pierce. Who knows?

In game adjustments and rotations should be improved. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JTB said:

Hope you all aren’t that excited about strong defensive minded Nate Mcmillan. He got put out of Indiana solely due to his lack of modern style offense.

Its not all coming up roses with the coaching change in Indy. They are currently a .500 team and 3 and 7 over their last 10. They finished 18 games over .500 last season but were once again decimated by injuries in the playoffs and bubble.

Just like with us and the Hawks, Indy fans were giddy after a decent start, And just like us, all that has been tempered. Back in Nate's glory days in Seattle and Portland he had some top 10 offenses. Nate has been accused of being a defense takes care of offense type coach. He has also been accused of just letting the offense run itself. That may not be a bad idea with Trae Young at the helm.

Let the coach focus on defense and Trae focus on offense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Congrats to CLP but I am interested to see how the team performs with Nate at the helm.  I think the team will look better...

They will need to. I watched some of the Nuggets/Celtics game. They don't have Smart and that should help. We are better at the point guard and center spots. Brown pretty much carried them the whole game.

Its hard to believe they can get poor shooting from Kemba and Tatum and still beat a team like the Nuggets. But that is what they did.

Edited by Buzzard

49 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Of course he wants to be a head coach again. He is not old by head coaching standards. I think the Hawks would be a solid fit for him. He can emphasize defense and reign in the chuckers with his discipline. I think he is just being politically correct and knows he will get some interviews next season.

The Hawks could do a lot worse than Nate if LP is eventually let go.

10 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Its not all coming up roses with the coaching change in Indy. They are currently a .500 team and 3 and 7 over their last 10. They finished 18 games over .500 last season but were once again decimated by injuries in the playoffs and bubble.

Just like with us and the Hawks, Indy fans were giddy after a decent start, And just like us, all that has been tempered. Back in Nate's glory days in Seattle and Portland he had some top 10 offenses. Nate has been accused of being a defense takes care of offense type coach. He has also been accused of just letting the offense run itself. That may not be a bad idea with Trae Young at the helm.

Let the coach focus on defense and Trae focus on offense.

Man I forgot that Seattle offense was good ...the Brandon Roy offense was heavy isolation during the Portland seasons Nate was there from what I recall....but I think Nate is being dismissed because of non modern ways of this eras offense styles ....it’s not that Nate can’t coach a scheme it’s more so he has no interest in adjusting to make his offense fit today’s nba. 

he just need to involve more 3s in his game plan . Pacers may not be enjoying the season but Nate had a fair chance there .

7 minutes ago, JTB said:

Man I forgot that Seattle offense was good ...the Brandon Roy offense was heavy isolation during the Portland seasons Nate was there from what I recall....but I think Nate is being dismissed because of non modern ways of this eras offense styles ....it’s not that Nate can’t coach a scheme it’s more so he has no interest in adjusting to make his offense fit today’s nba. 

he just need to involve more 3s in his game plan . Pacers may not be enjoying the season but Nate had a fair chance there .

True but one season it was Oladipo. Last season it was Sabonis. They lost a top dog two seasons in a row. If Trae or Collins goes out for us, its a waste in the playoffs as well.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Coaches aren't miracle workers. We have a flawed roster. But a different coach might be more willing to try some new things. Boston is on the second night of a back to back, not that that ever helps us.

Maybe it ain't the roster after all

• Like 1