• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Next man up: Nate McMillan

sturt

• Premium Member

Mike Brown, of course, is thought to be on speed dial.

Kenny Atkinson is plausibly still held in some high regard.

Mike D'Antoni would be a very wild idea, but then, maybe not so much.

Mr. Sonic turned Mr. Hawk now is 22nd in the NBA history in coaching wins, that’s crazy I didn’t think he was that high up. Lotta wins with Ray Allen in Seattle, Lamarcus in Portland and the guys in Indy. 

He’s definitely gonna elevate this team. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Mr. Sonic turned Mr. Hawk now is 22nd in the NBA history in coaching wins, that’s crazy I didn’t think he was that high up. Lotta wins with Ray Allen in Seattle, Lamarcus in Portland and the guys in Indy. 

He’s definitely gonna elevate this team. 

He's a good coach. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sturt said:

Mike Brown, of course, is thought to be on speed dial.

Kenny Atkinson is plausibly still held in some high regard.

Mike D'Antoni would be a very wild idea, but then, maybe not so much.

The similarities between this team and those Suns team D'Antoni coached are strong.  He changed things up with Harden in Houston.  I absolutely hate recycling coaches, but I'd be intrigued.  

My preference would be Kenny Atkinson though.  He's a culture builder, and that's what the Hawks need.  He took over a team in Brooklyn that was a complete mess and had them making improvements.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The similarities between this team and those Suns team D'Antoni coached are strong.  He changed things up with Harden in Houston.  I absolutely hate recycling coaches, but I'd be intrigued.  

My preference would be Kenny Atkinson though.  He's a culture builder, and that's what the Hawks need.  He took over a team in Brooklyn that was a complete mess and had them making improvements.  

So did Jason Kidd in Brooklyn and Milwaukee. Why don’t you like Kidd ? Not being contentious just curious..

8 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

So did Jason Kidd in Brooklyn and Milwaukee. Why don’t you like Kidd ? Not being contentious just curious..

He's not a good coach.  Atkinson was a lot better than Kidd in Brooklyn, and Budenholzer was able to get more out of the Bucks than Kidd was.  

• Moderators

Yeah I don't like Kidd at all.   Bud came to the Bucks and took Kidd's .500 team to 60 wins the first season.   I've heard some other things about Kidd too but i don't know if they are real issues.

But not sure what Kidd has done to impress anyone on the coaching front.

I'm honestly not a big Atkinson fan either.   I'm sure he'd be fine but I'd probably stick with Nate over him.  

D'antoni is almost 70.  He'd be a good fit with Trae probably but 70?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I don't pretend to know much about Atkinson.  He may be one of the greatest coaches not working today, but i've never seen a guy get so much recognition for one ok season.

He took a team whose best player was D'Angelo Russell to the playoffs.  

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

He took a team whose best player was D'Angelo Russell to the playoffs.  

I mean if going 42-40 for one season and getting to the playoffs in the east is the top of your resume......

I'm not really trying to knock him.  Just seems like he gets a ton of credit for that one thing.

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I mean if going 42-40 for one season and getting to the playoffs in the east is the top of your resume......

I'm not really trying to knock him.  Just seems like he gets a ton of credit for that one thing.

Well, go look at what he had available to him on that team and evaluate it with respect to what he inherited.  He went from 20 to 28 to 42 wins with that team.  The Nets then went big on trades to get Durant and Irving, and he didn't have them available much for the 19-20 season.  Irving only played in 20 games, and he still guided that team to a 28-34 record with the likes of Spencer Dinwiddie, Joe Harris, and Taurean Prince being his best three guys.

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Well, go look at what he had available to him on that team and evaluate it with respect to what he inherited.  He went from 20 to 28 to 42 wins with that team.  The Nets then went big on trades to get Durant and Irving, and he didn't have them available much for the 19-20 season.  Irving only played in 20 games, and he still guided that team to a 28-34 record with the likes of Spencer Dinwiddie, Joe Harris, and Taurean Prince being his best three guys.

I agree with that.  I think everyone knows that the Nets started in a terrible position with no draft picks and a messed up cap status so they had very few ways to meaningfully improve other than internal development.

That 42 win season reminds me of that 41-41 record Doc put up with the 1999-00 Orlando Magic (which remains his most impressive job of coaching, imo).

• Like 1