• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Next man up: Nate McMillan

sturt

• Premium Member

21 hours ago, KB21 said:

Well, go look at what he had available to him on that team and evaluate it with respect to what he inherited.  He went from 20 to 28 to 42 wins with that team.  The Nets then went big on trades to get Durant and Irving, and he didn't have them available much for the 19-20 season.  Irving only played in 20 games, and he still guided that team to a 28-34 record with the likes of Spencer Dinwiddie, Joe Harris, and Taurean Prince being his best three guys.

Taurean Prince wasn't a top three player on that team lol. The Jordan/Jarret Allen combo which was the best C rotation in the east, leading them to a 9th defensive rating, along with Caris Levert and Dinwiddie both playing all star ish basketball and Joe Harris leading the league in threes was why they were good(ish). And then behind them a plethora of serviceable players. Not taking anything away from Atkinson's performance, certainly it was a succesful season and hard to imagine that team being substancially better than it was under KA, but to say TP was one of their best players is disengenuous. Prince was the fifth leading scorer on that team 12ppg  and shot 37%, really he was part of a massive group of guys (most better than him) that the Nets deployed at the wing positions that year, a group that included the likes of Tyler Johnson 12ppg, Garret Temple 10ppg, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot 8ppg and Wilson Chandler6ppg, and David Nwaba5ppg.

It would be far more accurate to say Taurean Prince was one of the worst players on the entire team as he finished ranked a laughable 13th in win-shares. and 17th in PER on that squad. 

17 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

in four games with Nate we have three of our best five wins all year. 

Yep and one of those wins with LP was on a back to back series game like last night that's so hard to win again anyone

53 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Taurean Prince wasn't a top three player on that team lol. The Jordan/Jarret Allen combo which was the best C rotation in the east, leading them to a 9th defensive rating, along with Caris Levert and Dinwiddie both playing all star ish basketball and Joe Harris leading the league in threes was why they were good(ish). And then behind them a plethora of serviceable players. Not taking anything away from Atkinson's performance, certainly it was a succesful season and hard to imagine that team being substancially better than it was under KA, but to say TP was one of their best players is disengenuous. Prince was the fifth leading scorer on that team 12ppg  and shot 37%, really he was part of a massive group of guys (most better than him) that the Nets deployed at the wing positions that year, a group that included the likes of Tyler Johnson 12ppg, Garret Temple 10ppg, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot 8ppg and Wilson Chandler6ppg, and David Nwaba5ppg.

It would be far more accurate to say Taurean Prince was one of the worst players on the entire team as he finished ranked a laughable 13th in win-shares. and 17th in PER on that squad. 

You are right.  Prince wasn't one of their three best guys, but he was one of only three players to start 60 plus games for that team, along with Joe Harris and Jarrett Allen.  Spencer Dinwiddie only started 49 games.  No one else started more than 35 games.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sturt said:

What a couple of Pacers fans think Hawks fans should know about their former coach (siap)... and have to say, there's a notable difference in perception where it concerns the structure versus free-lance discussion...

2021-03-03_15-11-15.png

2021-03-03_15-09-35.png

Thoughtful analysis.  I guess I feel the same watching him from afar.  If retained maybe he works with Schlenk to revamp the staff to account for some of his shortcomings, that is if he accepts them.  He seems to hang his hat on getting his guards to defend to their potential to relieve pressure off the back line and that’s a damn good jumping point for me.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sturt said:

What a couple of Pacers fans think Hawks fans should know about their former coach (siap)... and have to say, there's a notable difference in perception where it concerns the structure versus free-lance discussion...

2021-03-03_15-11-15.png

2021-03-03_15-09-35.png

There is a contradictory statement in that.  The one guy mentions that Collins and Hunter will get to do what they want to do on offense, while the other states that players chafe at the lack of autonomy.  

• Like 2

Nate's aversion to analytics and modern basketball is going to be an issue for me.  I think that's also why he isn't a great in game coach.  

I do like the fact that he is regimented and very structured with how he does things.  I'm big on in game coaching, and I prefer to have an offensive style where there is a lot of player movement and a lot of passing to get open shots.

My choice is Kenny Atkinson.  I'm also big on Eric Musselman.

Edited by KB21