Next man up: Nate McMillan

sturt

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, bleachkit said:

TS isn't hiring Mark Jackson. He's an extremely strong personality, and Trae can be kinda prickly and defensive. It's too risky, it could blow up. This group needs a player's coach, that is also very strong with X's and O's

What this team needs is defense. Period. Offense doesn't worry me, LP was running a basic scheme and we had been top 10 in offense despite missing so many contributors on that end Trae is an elite offensive player, and when Hunter comes back he showed he is ready to blossom into a legit #2 option that can create his own shot. If we keep Collins than that end of the court pretty much will run itself. Spread the floor, run pick and rolls and we are top 5. Defense is the key, and a guy like Nate, assuming he can live up to his reputation as a defensive coach, is a very good choice for this team. The good thing with Nate is we are about to get a very nice trial run to see what he can do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, AHF said:

Not sure I've seen a worse coach than Jirsa.  Hated that guy (as a coach).

The last two minutes of any game right? The opposite of MJ you know. If you had a single digit lead against MJ with two minutes left you were absolutely gonna lose the contest. Jirsa was the opposite and do remember those UT and SC battles we had sewn up but he coached a loss out of them all. Timeouts left on the table....Could not retain recruits that Tubby brought in other than Tubby's son. Interesting right there. But Jirsa could not recruit on his own at a decent level as well so no SEC future for him. Some how he has a job somewhere I think, not so sure though. By the way, have you ever seen a coach soak a shirt sweating while coaching a game more than Jirsa, not counting Doug Collins of course?    

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I'll just say it.   Mark Jackson maybe a brilliant coach but the guy seems like a jerk to me.  His game commentary is not very good either imo.   I just think he's overrated and an ass.   

More like is a jerk.

Kerr overhauled a team culture that had grown poisonous, for well-documented reasons, under Jackson and his assistants. In his zeal to motivate players, Jackson fostered resentment among them and toward the front office. He fired two assistants, requested Jerry West stay away from practices, and asked a younger front-office official to stop rebounding for players, sources have said.

When Ezeli was injured last season, Jackson and his staff told the healthy players that Ezeli was cheering against them — so that he would look good, according to several team sources. Players confronted Ezeli in a meeting, and he wept at the accusation — which he denied.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 4:28 PM, Thomas said:

Been talking off and on about the end of games for two and a half years with the Hawks. Remember I pissed a few off by the late game comparison of LP to Ron Jirsa. Maybe that was more of an insult than a comparison but my point is you just got to win late in games to really be a contender. Control your destiny.  

By the way, you know who was on Ron Jirsa's coaching staff at UGA...

Travis Schlenk (born 1976 or 1977) is the general manager and president of the Atlanta Hawks of the NBA. Prior to joining the Hawks in May 2017, Schlenk was the assistant general manager of the Golden State Warriors, having joined that team prior to the 2004-05 season as a video scout.[1] He has also worked as a video coordinator for the Miami Heat from 1999 to 2003, and as Director of Basketball Operations for the University of Georgia basketball program from 1998 to 1999.[2]

Atlanta Hawks GM Travis Schlenk: I'm Not A Proponent Of Blowing It Up – CBS  Atlanta

I couldn't find an old UGA pic, but this was at least one with hair 🙂

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, parfait said:

By the way, you know who was on Ron Jirsa's coaching staff at UGA...

Travis Schlenk (born 1976 or 1977) is the general manager and president of the Atlanta Hawks of the NBA. Prior to joining the Hawks in May 2017, Schlenk was the assistant general manager of the Golden State Warriors, having joined that team prior to the 2004-05 season as a video scout.[1] He has also worked as a video coordinator for the Miami Heat from 1999 to 2003, and as Director of Basketball Operations for the University of Georgia basketball program from 1998 to 1999.[2]

Atlanta Hawks GM Travis Schlenk: I'm Not A Proponent Of Blowing It Up – CBS  Atlanta

I couldn't find an old UGA pic, but this was at least one with hair 🙂

Small world right there. Lucky for TS that bald is all the rage I guess.

• Premium Member
On 3/3/2021 at 3:13 PM, sturt said:

What a couple of Pacers fans think Hawks fans should know about their former coach (siap)... and have to say, there's a notable difference in perception where it concerns the structure versus free-lance discussion...

2021-03-03_15-11-15.png

2021-03-03_15-09-35.png

More...

LWR_Recording.png

• Premium Member

New thought.

What if this is Nate McMillan's last job in the NBA... and what if it lasts until he's 70 (14 years)... and what if he maintains the same .530 W/L% over that time?

Nate McMillan will finish with 1,242 wins, good for FOURTH ALL-TIME... behind Don Nelson (1,335), Lenny Wilkens (1,332) and Gregg Popovich (currently 1,296), and just ahead of Jerry Sloan (1,221) and Pat Riley (1,210).

(And that's not taking into account any post-season winning, fwiw.)

What's your point, sturt?

I suppose my ever-the-glass-half-full-kinda-person point is that Nate is young enough and accomplished enough that he's actually a threat to be mentioned at the conclusion of his coaching career as being among some of the most highly regarded NBA coaches of all-time.

And so, yeah, it's conceivable that we could be digging back into the Hawksquawk archives in the year 2035, reading this very thread... and nodding our heads, amazed at how a mid-season replacement episode turned into something fairly incredible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...