• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Celtics, Once More, with Feeling!

lethalweapon3

Upsetting to watch the hawks fold like this and even more upsetting to wonder if we truly need more offense or not!

with Hunter and Bogi both not playing right now we are missing scoring talent right there but even then the offensive scheme is horrible! We need a offensively talented coach really bad.

hard to judge these players under LP in my opinion. We shouldn’t be a avg or below avg offensive team but here we are 

5 hours ago, JTB said:

Upsetting to watch the hawks fold like this and even more upsetting to wonder if we truly need more offense or not!

with Hunter and Bogi both not playing right now we are missing scoring talent right there but even then the offensive scheme is horrible! We need a offensively talented coach really bad.

hard to judge these players under LP in my opinion. We shouldn’t be a avg or below avg offensive team but here we are 

I don't know how you blame the scheme for missing wide open threes.

• Like 1

JC is Chris Bosh lite. He's like a modern Chris Bosh if Bosh lacked a 7'5 wingspan and had a 6'10 wingspan and was 15 pounds lighter, and was 6'9.5 instead of 6'11.5. Both are best as #3 options and the whole 9 but Bosh is much better than JC exclusively due to tools. JC and Bosh are consistent but they aren't naturally great. It does bother me JC wants the max being this type of player and makes me appreciate Bosh a lot more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Gotta call out the screen Trae.

Communication is still an area Trae is working on defensively. He just missed that. Watching Kevin and Trae makes me miss those Reddish and Hunter days where defensive miscues still happened but we were much much better and Trae was guarding the weakest offensive player. 

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

They have to figure out something on this Collins/Gallinari duo. Defensively they are horrible. Quite possibly one of the worse defensive pairings in the league. Three fourths of the time they are horrible on the offensive end. Gallinari's 3P% is down over .30% and his FG% is down over .60%.

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

They have to figure out something on this Collins/Gallinari duo. Defensively they are horrible. Quite possibly one of the worse defensive pairings in the league. Three fourths of the time they are horrible on the offensive end. Gallinari's 3P% is down over .30% and his FG% is down over .60%.

What's crazy is this pairing worked fine when it was Young-Reddish-Hunter-Gallo-JC

It was one of our most effective units. What I am seeing is what I saw last year. Trae and Kevin defensive are an extremely hard pairing to defend with but add another bad defender like Parker or Gallinari. LMAO!

Cam Reddish WAR is a 0.1, lol. That's rotational which isn't awful but that's not what you want from a starter at all. 

Kevin Huerter WAR is a -0.3. Kevin might be on the trading block. He still has value to other teams around the league as he's a pretty damn good shooter but Atlanta can't justify him with Trae as they are defensive Chernobyl. 

Cam is really going to have to figure out the offensive side of the game. 

Kevin just is a bad fit. He needs to be on a squad where he's not sharing the court with IT0 or Trae Young. Plenty of teams will want Kevin. Some of his other metrics are pretty good which is appealing to other teams in need of shooting.

Edited by NBASupes

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

What's crazy is this pairing worked fine when it was Young-Reddish-Hunter-Gallo-JC

It was one of our most effective units. What I am seeing is what I saw last year. Trae and Kevin defensive are an extremely hard pairing to defend with but add another bad defender like Parker or Gallinari. LMAO!

I think you are over romanticizing this a little bit. Gallinari was only back for five games with Hunter before Hunter was injured.  Hunter only played 12 minutes in the 5th game when he was injured. Gallinari was also on a 20 minute restriction for the full games he played with Hunter.

Basically you have Gallinari in four games with Hunter after his sprained ankle. He played less than 20 minutes a game and shot pretty well. Since that time he has not shot well at all. Which is my point. If they are not going to be a productive offensive combo. they cannot be on the floor together.

Maybe they need to limit Gallinari's minutes. When he was only playing 20, he shot pretty well.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Cam Reddish WAR is a 0.1, lol. That's rotational which isn't awful but that's not what you want from a starter at all. 

Kevin Huerter WAR is a -0.3. Kevin might be on the trading block. He still has value to other teams around the league as he's a pretty damn good shooter but Atlanta can't justify him with Trae as they are defensive Chernobyl. 

Kevin just is a bad fit. He needs to be on a squad where he's not sharing the court with IT0 or Trae Young. Plenty of teams will want Kevin. Some of his other metrics are pretty good which is appealing to other teams in need of shooting.

We have too many bricklayers. Cam FG% is rock bottom, Gallo FG% is rock bottom, Kevin FG% is not very good. Trae's isn't that good either, but he's carrying a huge he load on offense. 

30 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

If Schlenk is going to sell the farm to still make the playoffs, Huerter, Reddish, Fernando, Hill, Snell, Dunn, Rondo, Gallinari are all on the table. None of these players has done anything this season to warrant being called keepers. If anything, they have all proven so far they are nothing more than 2nd tier bench fodder.

Maybe once Bogdan gets back, they could be fine. But with Reddish, Gallinari, and Huerter shooting like shit, this is some very hard offensive basketball to watch.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

If Schlenk is going to sell the farm to still make the playoffs, Huerter, Reddish, Fernando, Hill, Snell, Dunn, Rondo, Gallinari are all on the table. None of these players has done anything this season to warrant being called keepers. If anything, they have all proven so far they are nothing more than 2nd tier bench fodder.

Maybe once Bogdan gets back, they could be fine. But with Reddish, Gallinari, and Huerter shooting like shit, this is some very hard offensive basketball to watch.

I doubt we make any trades. Who is really going to help us that is readily available? Schlenk mentioned on the radio that it's still unclear who the buyers and sellers are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTB said:

I disagree that it's hard to judge these players under LP.  Could a better coach get them to play more to their strengths and better as a team?  Yep.  But the deficiencies of these players are clearly known by all.

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I disagree that it's hard to judge these players under LP.  Could a better coach get them to play more to their strengths and better as a team?  Yep.  But the deficiencies of these players are clearly known by all.

Usually coaching changes do not make much of a difference. Although there are some examples. Steve Kerr certainly improved the offense of Mark Jackson. I think when we hired Bud, it was clear his coaching acumen was better than the previous coach. But more often than not, it's really just about the players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is why we need a real backup C.

Or, we just need to stick with Bruno and try to develop him.  I've been saying this all year.

Despite Bruno's deficiencies, his presence on the court normally does not hurt the team, even if he's not making the most of his opportunities on offense.  He played 11 minutes last night and was -1 for the game.

There are only 7 players on the Hawks that have a + number while on the floor.  4 of them are no-brainers

• De'Andre Hunter
  • Clint Capela
  • Trae Young
  • John Collins

The other 3 will shock the hell out of everybody

• Brandon Goodwin
  • Skylar Mays
  • and Bruno Fernando

And the key element in this . . is TEAM DEFENSIVE BALANCE.

I said very early on that the Hawks must develop guys like Bruno and Brandon, because we were going to need them.  They are the guys that keep the team balanced, especially from a defensive standpoint.  Brandon plays pretty good man defense.  Bruno normally prevents 2nd chance points, something that Collins does not do when he's at center.

And that's one of the elephants in the room.  Collins is a complete defensive liability at center, because he's not strong enough to play the position and body up people.  When the Hawks go with Collins and Gallinari on the front line, that group must score the basketball, because they're not going to stop anybody.   

The other elephant is that we're desperately trying to force feed Gallinari to play minutes at the 4, when what we should be doing is only playing Gallanari if he has it rolling offensively.  Gallo may be THE worst defensive player on the team, because he doesn't even try to play defense.

If the Hawks coaches aren't looking at advanced metric numbers to determine who they should and shouldn't be playing, it's no wonder why this team struggles the way that they do.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Trae is an awful defensive player. Kemba was just lighting him up. 

What's not being said, is that Trae scored 31 points, to offset what Kemba was doing.  The problem with the Hawks, is that Trae has to score 40+, to offset what his man is doing . . and to offset what others are doing.

Kemba had 19 pts in the 1st half.  Trae had 14.

Kemba had  9 pts in the 2nd half.  Trae had 17.

That's why Trae's defense, to me, is not the biggest issue on the Hawks.  We know that he's going to give up some points.  But he'll more than get it back on the offensive end.  Can't say the thing about everyone else, who routinely lose their matchup at their position.

• Like 1