• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young appears to have a more mature game now.

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

I'm not sure whether he is playing better because of Nate McMillan's influence or not but its noticeable.  He is running the offense better and is taking better shots over the past 3 games which are reflected in his numbers.  All of his shooting metrics are up. Assist numbers are up. even his steals are up significantly.

FG%     62%

3FG%   47%

Assist   11.3 (should actually be higher if teammates could hit open shots and layups)

Steals   2pg vs .9pg last month

These are superstar numbers to say the least.  Lets hope this trend continues!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm not sure whether he is playing better because of Nate McMillan's influence or not but its noticeable.  He is running the offense better and is taking better shots over the past 3 games which are reflected in his numbers.  All of his shooting metrics are up. Assist numbers are up. even his steals are up significantly.

FG%     62%

3FG%   47%

Assist   11.3 (should actually be higher if teammates could hit open shots and layups)

Steals   2pg vs .9pg last month

These are superstar numbers to say the least.  Lets hope this trend continues!

Glad you finally came around to the reality that Trae plays better when he's taking long 3's and looking to score first and then be a facilitator.  The whole "make the right play" thing doesn't work with Trae.  As @TheNorthCydeRises and I and others have been saying for the last several weeks, he's most effective when he's a scorer first and a facilitator second.  The last 3 have been excellent, but he's also done it more and more even before that, but less consistently so.  

P.S. I hope you keep this same mindset when the shots aren't falling.  

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NBASupes said:

That floater and that 30 foot 3 pointer falling helps Trae a ton.

Agreed.  Trae is playing more assertively / aggressively / in charge of the offense which is a mindset.  That's true.  But the biggest difference in the last 3 games and ones immediately prior to is the make vs miss.  In both Dallas games he played with the same mentality but they lost both because he shot poorly.  What you can't have is Trae taking 4 3's (vs NYK) or 0 3's (vs Pacers) and expect to win.  THAT'S the mentality / style of play thing.  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Glad you finally came around to the reality that Trae plays better when he's taking long 3's and looking to score first and then be a facilitator.  The whole "make the right play" thing doesn't work with Trae.  As @TheNorthCydeRises and I and others have been saying for the last several weeks, he's most effective when he's a scorer first and a facilitator second.  The last 3 have been excellent, but he's also done it more and more even before that, but less consistently so.  

P.S. I hope you keep this same mindset when the shots aren't falling.  

He's hitting his shots. That's the difference. It has nothing to do with forcing Trae to be something he's not. That's just irrelevant fodder for us to argue about. Bottom line, it's a make or miss league. When he' making them all is well.

27 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

That floater and that 30 foot 3 pointer falling helps Trae a ton.

Helps a ton is an understatement. If Trae is making his 30 footers and floaters he's one of the most devastating offensive players in the league. If he's not making them, well he's a liability quite honestly.

• Premium Member

It's also a function of how teams defend Trae.  The more aggressive physical teams like the Spurs, Pacers, Knicks made it a priority to double team, trap, ball deny, full court press Trae for 48 minutes - the last 3 games not so much.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He had 5 long 3 attempts in Boston in defeat so I'm not sure there is a correlation between long 3 attempts and winning.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/trae-young-shot-chart-vs-the-last-game-in-boston

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

It's also a function of how teams defend Trae.  The more aggressive physical teams like the Spurs, Pacers, Knicks made it a priority to double team, trap, ball deny, full court press Trae for 48 minutes - the last 3 games not so much.

Why teams dont is beyond me. Even is doubling or trapping Trae costs you some open looks, then so be it. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

He's hitting his shots. That's the difference. It has nothing to do with forcing Trae to be something he's not. That's just irrelevant fodder for us to argue about. Bottom line, it's a make or miss league. When he' making them all is well.

Same thing with his assists, if any of those 3 left handed cross court passes from last night had been picked off - it would be 'sloppy TOs' - that's why I say 'live with the TO's' when he has this aggressive mindset scoring and passing.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He had 5 long 3 attempts in Boston in defeat so I'm not sure there is a correlation between long 3 attempts and winning.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/trae-young-shot-chart-vs-the-last-game-in-boston

It's not the attempts - it's if he makes or misses them that matter and changes the narrative.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's not the attempts - it's if he makes or misses them that matter and changes the narrative.

Someone who shall remain nameless because of his attacking nature was making the correlation between long 3 attempts and winning

9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Not sure about that.  Here's the last 4 games from BBRef.  I guess it depends on how you define long attempts.  But my point has never been that he needs to take LONG 3pts.  He needs to attempt 3pts period.  As in, he avg 7.1 attempts in 13 wins and 5.5 attempts in 15 losses.  The last 3 games are highlighted by MAKING a high percentage, but the style of play is what's necessary.  

Trae-Shots.png

• Like 1