• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young appears to have a more mature game now.

Peoriabird

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Like I said @JayBirdHawk...Someone is trying to make a correlation between long attempts and winning

Trae has to take his 3s and more importantly make them to keep defenses honest, it also opens up the court more for him and his teammates.  Whether we win or not depends on if he makes them as well as a myriad of other factors.  

I don't think he's saying there is a 1 to 1 direct correlation between winning and just saying Trae has to take a specific number of 3s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae has to take his 3s and more importantly make them to keep defenses honest, it also opens up the court more for him and his teammates.  Whether we win or not depends on if he makes them as well as a myriad of other factors.  

I don't think he's saying there is a 1 to 1 direct correlation between winning and just saying Trae has to take a specific number of 3s.

What is he saying then because he is the one that keep bringing up these long 3's?

Thanks.  I really didn't think it was that complicated.  

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What does he mean when he says that Trae plays better when he is not making the right decisions...Basically saying that he is better when he makes the wrong decision?  And he is better off taking long 3's rather than getting his teammates involved?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

What does he mean when he says that Trae plays better when he is not making the right decisions...Basically saying that he is better when he makes the wrong decision?  And he is better off taking long 3's rather than getting his teammates involved?

I didn't get that at all from what he said, so I can't answer your interpretation of what he said.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I didn't get that at all from what he said, so I can't answer your interpretation of what he said.

Do you agree withthis statement then

Glad you finally came around to the reality that Trae plays better when he's taking long 3's and looking to score first and then be a facilitator.  The whole "make the right play" thing doesn't work with Trae. 

• Premium Member
Just now, Peoriabird said:

Glad you finally came around to the reality that Trae plays better when he's taking long 3's and looking to score first and then be a facilitator.  The whole "make the right play" thing doesn't work with Trae. 

The team goes as Trae goes whether its scoring and/or facilitating.  I think they go hand in hand.  Trae can facilitate all he wants but is also incumbent on his teammates to make those shots, which they have not always done.  So it leaves it to Trae to be the scorer whether it's shooting 3s or goat floating.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Here is my read:  The comment on the prior page about it not working for Trae to make the "right" play (note the quotes there that indicate that use of this word is a misnomer) was talking about how for Trae him taking a playmaking first role (i.e., trying more to emulate someone like John Stockton who put getting others shots well ahead of getting his own shot) is wrong for Trae and this team.  What is in fact the right play is one that involves Trae aggressively looking for his own shot while also running the offense to involve others and not Trae taking a more passive "create-first" type of role.  

There will be nights were Trae doesn't shoot as well and the efficiency isn't there but Trae's last two seasons have showed he can be an efficient, high volume scoring guard in addition to an outstanding passer.  

Now I understand...So who said that Trae needed to be more like John Stockton to provoke this kind of discussion?

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I thought it was obvious given the ongoing conversations on the board, but since it's not.  What I mean by "make the right play" which is probably more commonly stated as "play the right way" is the idea that the ball finds the open man, so make the extra pass.  Be a facilitator first and then let the ball find you.  LP has said in PCs that's the way he wants them to play and frankly, it's not the way that gets the most out of TY.  

I and others have argued for weeks now that TY is at his best when he's a scorer first and then facilitator.  That includes taking long 3's as well as normal 3's.  My comment above that you've zeroed in on was in reference to that.  I did, however, clarify in another post that I'm not saying ONLY take long 3's, but that is included.  I'm not sure why you have chosen to ignore that.  But then I'm also not sure why you are choosing to talk to @JayBirdHawk about me instead of talking directly to me.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

Now I understand...So who said that Trae needed to be more like John Stockton to provoke this kind of discussion?

The topic of discussion as to how much Trae should look for own shot has been on the board for months.  This was an extension of that making the case that it is the right thing for Trae to prioritize his own shot rather than to shift to more of a facilitator role.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

The topic of discussion as to how much Trae should look for own shot has been on the board for months.  This was an extension of that making the case that it is the right thing for Trae to prioritize his own shot rather than to shift to more of a facilitator role.

Yeah but he attacked me personally not the rest of the board and I have never mentioned that Trae needed to be like John Stockton.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I said since after the pre-season games: let's run the Trae-ccentric offense and throw in the new wrinkles and work in all the new players, and let the offense evolve over the course of the season rather than try to make it an equal opportunity offense.  We just aren't built for that and we can see it when Trae sits.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yeah but he attacked me personally not the rest of the board and I have never mentioned that Trae needed to be like John Stockton.

I've not seen a personal attack.  I did see him responding to your posts in a way that is premised on you having argued that Trae has been too aggressive and/or not exercised good shot selection.  You have certainly been critical of Trae's shot selection but I'm not going down the rabbit hole of whether he characterized your position correctly or not since there have been a lot of posts on this.  

I'd suggest you clarify your own view on Trae's shot selection and level of aggressiveness and refocus the conversation into this type of more constructive dialogue - especially if you think he has mischaracterized your view on the topic.

I said since after the pre-season games: let's run the Trae-ccentric offense and throw in the new wrinkles and work in all the new players, and let the offense evolve over the course of the season rather than try to make it an equal opportunity offense.  We just aren't built for that and we can see it when Trae sits.

That's the thing that always puzzled me.  They built a Trae-centric offense that features him with Top 5 usage in the NBA and then they try to make him a facilitator to spread the ball around.  It just doesn't work like that.  The offense still has to run through him and that generally means he gets his and then everyone else gets theirs.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

I've not seen a personal attack.  I did see him responding to your posts in a way that is premised on you having argued that Trae has been too aggressive and/or not exercised good shot selection.  You have certainly been critical of Trae's shot selection but I'm not going down the rabbit hole of whether he characterized your position correctly or not since there have been a lot of posts on this.  

I'd suggest you clarify your own view on Trae's shot selection and level of aggressiveness and refocus the conversation into this type of more constructive dialogue - especially if you think he has mischaracterized your view on the topic.

Yeah I have criticized Trae's shot selection of course but that doesn't mean that I think that he should stop shooting.  I've always preferred aggressive Trae meaning attacking the rim like we know he can and have stated this for 3 years.  I don't think anyone should settle for bad shots when there are better shot available.  In the second game of the season against Memphis when Trae took over that game in the 2nd half and relentlessly attack that rim, I raved about it for days.  You guys have short memories.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

That's the thing that always puzzled me.  They built a Trae-centric offense that features him with Top 5 usage in the NBA and then they try to make him a facilitator to spread the ball around.  It just doesn't work like that.  The offense still has to run through him and that generally means he gets his and then everyone else gets theirs.  

But I think the plan was always to have the offense evolve, particularly when teams take the ball out of his hands and have him play off ball some - I just thought early on with so many new players the team would be best served sticking to what works and working around the edges to incorporate the new system and players as the season progressed - I think all the injuries and changes to the lineups has had a effect on those plans as well.

• Like 1