• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young appears to have a more mature game now.

Peoriabird

Mays comes in and things change.  Why?  Because he plays a different ball game than Trae.  

When Trae is "on" and playing Trae ball, he makes those long threes and shoots his floater or is it an assist coming to that roll man?  That's his best assist.  

"The King" plays to get his mates involved, then becomes the hi light player that he is.  Trae's game doesn't work that way.  Is this the "right way?"  For King James it is.  For Trae it is not.  Different strokes for different folks.  

:hi:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Mays comes in and things change.  Why?  Because he plays a different ball game than Trae.  

When Trae is "on" and playing Trae ball, he makes those long threes and shoots his floater or is it an assist coming to that roll man?  That's his best assist.  

"The King" plays to get his mates involved, then becomes the hi light player that he is.  Trae's game doesn't work that way.  Is this the "right way?"  For King James it is.  For Trae it is not.  Different strokes for different folks.  

:hi:

But see - The King always seems to have another allstar(s) next to him to help carry the burden and even The King has to have his mates make the shots that he sets them up for, if they are missing like we were the 2nd game against Boston it's a different ballgame. 

I don't care how great a facilitator a player is if guys can't hit a basket it's all for naught.  We've talked about Trae's 'potential assists'  from all the bricks these guys lay.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

But see - The King always seems to have another allstar(s) next to him to help carry the burden and even The King has to have his mates make the shots that he sets them up for, if they are missing like we were the 2nd game against Boston it's a different ballgame. 

I don't care how great a facilitator a player is if guys can't hit a basket it's all for naught.  We've talked about Tare's 'potential assists'  from all the bricks these guys lay.

And we look at assists as the only definition of getting other guys involved.   Running the offense isn't just about Trae getting a guy an open look.   It's setting the table.   Some of the best offense we see from the Hawks is a direct result of Trae but doesn't always get him an assist. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't care how great a facilitator a player is if guys can't hit a basket it's all for naught.  We've talked about Tare's 'potential assists'  from all the bricks these guys lay.

It's a great point and it's precisely why we need Hunter back ASAP.  Even if he's not fully developed yet, he's still shown the best ability to coexist alongside Trae and get things going himself if teams take Trae away.  The issue with Capela and JC is they both need Trae to get them going.  The issue with Kev and Cam is they are inconsistent with their shots.  

I will say I've liked what Kevin has done going to the basket. I think that's an underrated part of his game.  But to your point, for years LBJ has had all stars surrounding him so he doesn't have to worry about what happens if a team blitzes him and denies him the ball.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

And we look at assists as the only definition of getting other guys involved.   Running the offense isn't just about Trae getting a guy an open look.   It's setting the table.   Some of the best offense we see from the Hawks is a direct result of Trae but doesn't always get him an assist. 

This is why I argue that Trae taking shots is also important, not just making shots.  Yes, if Trae makes there's a high correlation in Hawks winning.  But even if he doesn't, the fact that he's aggressive in taking his shot sets up the rest of team due to the spacing he creates.  The threat of Trae going off can create space and mismatches for the rest of the team. Of course, it's up to them to make the shots.  And that's one of the issues, they are highly inconsistent in their shooting (with the exception of Capela).   

• Like 2

This topic has more drama then those daytime soaps that my mother used to binge on growing up. Guys just chill, crack a beer or seltzer ( or whatever in the hell you partake) and let the growing pains and growth commence.

The finished product is gonna be worth it

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, IheartVolt said:

This topic has more drama then those daytime soaps that my mother used to binge on growing up. Guys just chill, crack a beer or seltzer ( or whatever in the hell you partake) and let the growing pains and growth commence.

The finished product is gonna be worth it

This basically is the finished product. I mean averaging 27 and 10. The numbers cant really go much higher. He's never going to be a 50/40/90 guy, if that is what you mean. 

7 hours ago, bleachkit said:

This basically is the finished product. I mean averaging 27 and 10. The numbers cant really go much higher. He's never going to be a 50/40/90 guy, if that is what you mean. 

That is not what I mean at all.. I mean as a team. The structure, maturity, experience and not so much Trae

• Like 1

2 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I think Trae has room to continue to grow.  I highly doubt this is his ceiling or that he's a finished product yet. I think he can get stronger and smarter as he continues to figure out how the league is going to defend him. 

I agree that he's not likely to avg 50/40/90 but I do think he could get the 3pt closer to 40%.  When the floater is going it raises the overall quite a bit too.  For February, he's avg 47.6/40.0/88.4 with a 63.9 TS%.  I could see something similar sustained over a long stretch of the season.  

For context, the much maligned Zack Lavine. Long labeled a chucker and not a "winner" by this board. He is averaging 28.9 points per game and shooting .518 FG% and .434% from three. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Where LaVine and Trae have the most room to improve remains on defense.  LaVine has all the physical tools to be a dominant defender.  Trae does not have the tools but has the ability to significantly improve (and imo has shown some improvement there this year).

• Like 4

On 2/22/2021 at 10:14 AM, Peoriabird said:

Do you agree withthis statement then

Glad you finally came around to the reality that Trae plays better when he's taking long 3's and looking to score first and then be a facilitator.  The whole "make the right play" thing doesn't work with Trae. 

I agree with that statement. The numbers and game outcomes prove it.

The whole point of teams taking the ball out of Trae's hands, is to make the others beat you.

Trae making the "right play" in those situations, is finding the open man.

In a lineup of Trae - Huerter - Cam - Collins - Capela, where do you want the ball to go, if you're taking the ball out of Trae's hands?

The answer would be Cam, because he's the poorest shooter on the floor.

Trae making the right play in SOME situations, is neutralizing his impact on the offense. When he's not in full attack mode, the quality touches of other guys go down, we draw a lot less fouls, and we score less.

Trae MUST force the action. And yes, forcing the action does mean Trae taking a few 30 footers is a necessity to open up the floor even more.

Until the Hawks prove that they can win games without Trae having to play like the best scoring PG of all time, I personally do NOT want him playing the right way, if it means that he's not in attack mode.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AHF said:

Where LaVine and Trae have the most room to improve remains on defense.  LaVine has all the physical tools to be a dominant defender.  Trae does not have the tools but has the ability to significantly improve (and imo has shown some improvement there this year).

Lavine and Trae would be an unstoppable offensive force together, defense notwithstanding.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I agree with that statement. The numbers and game outcomes prove it.

The whole point of teams taking the ball out of Trae's hands, is to make the others beat you.

Trae making the "right play" in those situations, is finding the open man.

In a lineup of Trae - Huerter - Cam - Collins - Capela, where do you want the ball to go, if you're taking the ball out of Trae's hands?

The answer would be Cam, because he's the poorest shooter on the floor.

Trae making the right play in SOME situations, is neutralizing his impact on the offense. When he's not in full attack mode, the quality touches of other guys go down, we draw a lot less fouls, and we score less.

Trae MUST force the action. And yes, forcing the action does mean Trae taking a few 30 footers is a necessity to open up the floor even more.

Until the Hawks prove that they can win games without Trae having to play like the best scoring PG of all time, I personally do NOT want him playing the right way, if it means that he's not in attack mode.

If this is the case then the Hawks are going nowhere.  They will remain a lottery team playing hero ball.

54 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

For context, the much maligned Zack Lavine. Long labeled a chucker and not a "winner" by this board. He is averaging 28.9 points per game and shooting .518 FG% and .434% from three. 

Maybe i missed something but what does Zach Lavine have to do with whether Trae can continue to improve or not?

On 2/22/2021 at 10:23 AM, AHF said:

The topic of discussion as to how much Trae should look for own shot has been on the board for months.  This was an extension of that making the case that it is the right thing for Trae to prioritize his own shot rather than to shift to more of a facilitator role.

Trae looking for his own shot actually makes him a more devastating facilitator.  You have to worry about Trae scoring the basketball, which opens up things from a passing standpoint.

Trae's decision making on whether to toss the lob or shoot a floater, is highly underrated. He's doing that like the split second decision making of a read option QB choosing to hand it to the RB, or keep it himself and run.  His floater and lob in the paint off the pick and roll looks almost looks identical in motion.

• Like 2