• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young appears to have a more mature game now.

Peoriabird

4 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Maybe i missed something but what does Zach Lavine have to do with whether Trae can continue to improve or not?

I'm just saying some might set the 50/40/90 as the gold standard. But even when a player is reaching that, Zach Lavine for example, they are still are not considered great. It's hard to get respect no matter what numbers you are putting up, greatness is largely a matter of perception.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

For February, he's avg 47.6/40.0/88.4 with a 63.9 TS%.  I could see something similar sustained over a long stretch of the season.  

Those are ridiculous numbers. Then you add that he's averaging 27 pts - 11 asst on top of that, he's creating 50+ points a game.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I'm just saying some might set the 50/40/90 as the gold standard. But even when a player is reaching that, Zach Lavine for example, they are still are not considered great. It's hard to get respect no matter what numbers you are putting up, greatness is largely a matter of perception.

Damn I didn’t realize Lavine was putting up Klay-type three numbers.  I’m in the pool of fans who think he’s leaving all types of defesnive potential on the table though.   Come on dude you’re in Chicago and damn near the exact size as Jodan with crazy quickness.  Gimme one season as a plus defender will ya.  I rarely ever see the kid outside of highlights where he’s gliding all over the place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Trae MUST force the action. And yes, forcing the action does mean Trae taking a few 30 footers is a necessity to open up the floor even more.

Until the Hawks prove that they can win games without Trae having to play like the best scoring PG of all time, I personally do NOT want him playing the right way, if it means that he's not in attack mode.

This is the whole point in my first comment on this thread.  It's absolutely true regardless of what some think because the numbers bear it out. 

What I will add though is that Hunter looks like he can be that guy that is good enough on his own to allow Trae to throttle back some of Trae-centric stuff and Hawks still have success.  It will require him to come back from injury as good as before and continue to get better, but we say glimpses of him being able to take over a game without Trae having to spoon feed him.  No one else on the team can do that.   

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Damn I didn’t realize Lavine was putting up Klay-type three numbers.  I’m in the pool of fans who think he’s leaving all types of defesnive potential on the table though.   Come on dude you’re in Chicago and damn near the exact size as Jodan with crazy quickness.  Gimme one season as a plus defender will ya.  I rarely ever see the kid outside of highlights where he’s gliding all over the place.

I was pulling for lavine like 2 years ago. He was a bargain and we needed a sg. He was a beast in Minnesota as well. But it seemed like people didn't see his potential. I also think Wiggins would break out like him if he's on a team like ours

59 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Could you imagine if Trae was shooting .518 and .434 on 8 threes a game on the season? We would be hailing him as the greatest shooting point guard who ever lived. We would be howling from the moon. But because it's Zach Lavine, everyone is just *shoulder shrug*, he's not a "winner." An article from the Athletic came out two days ago entitled "Is Zach Lavine a positive player?" Are you kidding me? So, Trae will never get respect from others for the same reason we don't give Zach Lavine respect. We have our perception, we have made up our mind, it's nothing more than empty stats/no defense and that's that.

Edited by bleachkit
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Could you imagine if Trae was shooting .518 and .434 on 8 threes a game on the season? We would be hailing him as the greatest shooting point guard who ever lived. We would be howling from the moon. But because it's Zach Lavine, everyone is just *shoulder shrug*, he's not a "winner." An article from the Athletic came out two days ago entitled "Is Zach Lavine a positive player?" Are you kidding me? So, Trae will never get respect from others for the same reason we don't give Zach Lavine respect. We have our perception, we have made up our mind, it's nothing more than empty stats and that's that.

It's about winning unfortunately. Devin Booker has a similar problem....this is their 7th and 6th years in the league and their teams haven't won....they haven't been to any playoffs games. Not their faults they haven't had the requisite players and/or coaches.

Certainly don't want that for Trae 6 years in. When/if these guys makes the playoffs, the narrative changes.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's about winning unfortunately. Devin Booker has a similar problem....this is their 7th and 6th years in the league and their teams haven't won....they haven't been to any playoffs games. Not their faults they haven't had the requisite players and/or coaches.

Certainly don't want that for Trae 6 years in. When/if these guys makes the playoffs, the narrative changes.

Was going to post exactly this.  Respect comes with winning in the playoffs.  Right or wrong, that is the way of it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Could you imagine if Trae was shooting .518 and .434 on 8 threes a game on the season? We would be hailing him as the greatest shooting point guard who ever lived. We would be howling from the moon. But because it's Zach Lavine, everyone is just *shoulder shrug*, he's not a "winner." An article from the Athletic came out two days ago entitled "Is Zach Lavine a positive player?" Are you kidding me? So, Trae will never get respect from others for the same reason we don't give Zach Lavine respect. We have our perception, we have made up our mind, it's nothing more than empty stats/no defense and that's that.

If Trae goes into year 7 having not even played in a playoff game then how could we complain about him not getting respect? But another thing working against LaVine is that the Bulls are negative with him on the floor and positive with him off. That never looks good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, High5 said:

If Trae goes into year 7 having not even played in a playoff game then how could we complain about him not getting respect? But another thing working against LaVine is that the Bulls are negative with him on the floor and positive with him off. That never looks good.

Gotta move those goal posts. 

I just want to say that I have always been a huge fan of Lavine. I'm not caught up in the narratives against these guys. I can see very plainly that he has been on some crappy (youthful) teams throughout his career. I dont hold that against him.

Make no mistake, if Zach ever got the chance to run with Lebron or Giannis, the entire perception of him would change. The guy can ball. He can shoot the lights out as well. I believe he can be much better defensively when he isn't the primary offensive driver, a la Trae.

• Like 1