• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Thunder

lethalweapon3

23 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This is the exact scenario this franchise needs to avoid!  Hanging on to coaches that you know aren't good.  At the end of the story of that team, it turns out that Mike Woodson was not a good coach with an overall coaching record of 315-365.  Coached only 9 seasons in the NBA and was done for good.  This is a treadmill that has plagued Atlanta's sports franchises for as long as I can remember.  Our teams never seem to find that Popivichs, Pat Rileys, Phil Jacksons or Spostras of the sport world.  Atlanta seems to always find the Larry Drews or Dan Quinns or Mike Smiths and embrace them for long periods of time and wonder the teams never win championships.  I want a great coach for a change.  Is that too much to ask?

Ya this. Lloyd has a ceiling just like players have ceilings. It’s not that high sadly. If he hangs on, what next year, 42 wins, then the following year 44, then 45, then an off year back to 36 wins, no, let’s not play that game again.

We’ve already seen that movie with Woodrow potato 🥔 head III, I can’t see it again.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Looking back across the game results since Hunter went down with a knee injury, the theme is relatively evident. The Hawks miss their lead guard defenders. Veteran wings Tony Snell and Solomon Hill have something to offer in matchups against teams that create through their wings, but they don’t help so much against opposing point guards.

That was a factor in this game, but it’s hard to say it is the sole reason they lost.

Oklahoma City attacks through their point guards, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Theo Maldeon, and both are members of the starting lineup. Hunter and Reddish are Atlanta’s primary point guard defenders, and Atlanta struggled to contain the ball, especially on drives.

In the three recent games with the Celtics, the Hawks won the two games in which Kemba Walker didn’t play and lost the game in which he did. Cleveland’s best player is their lead guard Collin Sexton. They are at the bottom of the league in offensive efficiency but put up 112 points in their win over Atlanta earlier this week.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Mod Note:

I did a clean up of a series of posts describing current and historical issues between posters.  During that exchange (in which Jaybird did not participate), Spud gave his view on an exchange between the two of them.  I’m not going into the details but I will say the moderators looked into that issue in particular and none of us saw the exchange in the same light that Spud did.  He is entitled to his view and we take things like that seriously but I feel for anyone who read that description of her that it is incumbent on me to clarify that none of us agreed with that interpretation and do not think it fairly captured the interplay between them.

Again, I’m not sharing details or looking to go back into history on this.  Mods have asked the people who participated in the exchange on this thread not to repeat that on other threads.

Focus is we have Hawks fans here to talk about some basketball.  Let’s all do that and things will be good.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2