Official Game Thread: Hawks at heat (Sunday)

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

c264049d-d7fb-4097-a103-fd4a9e4a5100-USP

“Stop the game! That jersey clashes with our pink and blue!”

“What’s our record, Jordan, with our #fullsquad?”, David Lee wanted to know. He didn’t know to add the hashtag yet, while pressing his postgame media contingent. But he would, soon. “What’s our record? #Fullsquad. When we have everybody? Does anybody know what our record is? When we’ve got Andre, and Steph, and everybody in the lineup? We’re pretty darn good.”

The excitement had been waning for Lee’s emerging Golden State Warriors. Coming off a breakthrough 2012-13 season, where the Dubs won their first playoff series since the We Believe era ended, head coach Mark Jackson found himself juggling the starting lineups in 2013-14, and he was losing believers fast. A 14-13 start to the season simply wasn’t good enough.

But in Jackson’s defense, Lee inferred, fifth-year pro (and, soon-to-be first-time All-Star) Stephen Curry was in and out of the lineup with nagging ankle injuries. By the time Curry could be stabilized, the Warriors found themselves without their key offseason addition.

Andre Iguodala, by then nearing age 30, wasn’t asked to fill too much of the boxscore, an open three-point jumpshot here, a steal or two and a fastbreak jam over there. Acquired over the summer via a surprising sign-and-trade from Denver, he was seen as the glue guy that made the Warriors’ competitive streak stick. But his hamstring injury had him missing nearly a month, greasing the skids on Golden State’s swoon toward mediocrity.

But then, Iguodala returned. And in mere days, the Warriors went on a splashy run.

A 19-point home win over the Lakers kickstarted a ten-game winning streak. To win their seventh-straight, Golden State had to erase a 15-point Hawks lead at Philips Arena with under seven minutes to play. Iguodala came through in the final minute, with an assist for a short Curry jumper, a defensive stop (with Curry being O-D subbed for Draymond Green) leading to a Paul Millsap miss, and his only swished three-pointer of the game at the buzzer, assisted by Curry, to win by one.

It took the brilliance of Brooklyn Net Joe Johnson to finally stop Golden State, keeping the Warriors from becoming the first club in NBA history to go undefeated on a seven-game road trip. But by then, #FullSquad, uttered by Lee and reiterated in fun by Iguodala and multiple Warriors, had become a meme on Vine and a perpetually trending topic on Twitter.

2015’s Finals MVP, Iguodala returned around this time last year to the Bay Area, honored by the teammates who stuck together just long enough, with a little coaching change and a little more help, to win three NBA titles. Dre was returning with his latest team, the Miami heat.

“We’ve got one of the greatest Warriors in the history of the organization back,” said Klay Thompson, who was recovering from the leg injury that ended both Golden State’s Finals run in 2019 and the 2019-20 season before it could begin. “I can’t wait to see your jersey in the rafters one of these days.” Addressing what we once recognized as a crowd at the new Warriors arena, Iguodala assured the fanbase about the absences of the Splash Brothers with a term they know so well.

“My brothers will be back in action, #FullSquad next year, to wreak havoc on the league for 80 games. Love y’all!” What, Andre, not 82?

He didn’t know it yet, but Iguodala would be a key “glue guy” element for his current NBA club’s surprise return to the NBA Finals in 2020. He, like most who ran through the Warriors’ reign in the 20-teens, knows as well as anybody that the most important ability is availability.

For the Miami heat, their “culture” is built on defying the need for a #FullSquad to thrive. While their visitors for the next couple of days, the Atlanta Hawks (8:00 PM Eastern, Fox Sports Southeast and 92.9 FM in ATL, Fox Sports Sun), spin their wheels, the defending Eastern Conference champs are finally taking off, seeking to win their sixth and seventh consecutive games at the Hawks’ expense.

Coach Erik Spoelstra’s club has had to endure the wrath of COVID (guard Avery Bradley tested positive, while Tyler Herro had to quarantine when his housemate came down COVID+). Franchise All-Star guard Jimmy Butler caught Da Rona missed almost a dozen games. Kendrick Nunn and Goran Dragic have missed stretches. But down on South Beach, heat Culture dictates there’s always a “next man up.”

Last year’s surprises of Duncan Robinson and Nunn have moved comfortably into Coach Spo’s starting lineups. When the heat needed offense in Butler’s and Bam Adebayo’s absences, two-way player Gabe Vincent stepped up with 46 points during a two-game series in Philly. Around once a week, the other two-way player, Max Strus, drops in and drops between three-to-five three-pointers in a game. Rookie first-rounder Precious Achiuwa has rendered free agent vet Moe Harkless nearly unnecessary.

The team has been sloppy (8.7 opponent SPG and 16.1 player TOs/game, 2nd-most in NBA), and are routinely outshot on three-pointers with Butler and Adebayo ineffective from that range. But Miami is coming together at the right time, with the All-Star Break approaching.

Having bigs like Adebayo (career-highs of 19.6 PPG and 5.5 APG) who can not only finish around the paint but also pass the ball enlivens an offense. Having vets like Iguodala and Butler who have not only preached about perseverance through adversity as a team, but lived through it, goes a long way, too.

“We know what adversity is,” Jimmy Buckets shared with Rachel Nichols for ESPN’s The Jump, as his team, then at 11-17 while looking up at Atlanta and many others in the Eastern Conference standings, was preparing for its current winning run. “We’re supposed to be better. We’re supposed to get better and bring everybody up with us. Maybe here and there we’ve forgotten that. We will get back to it, though. I promise you that. We will.” So far, with a .500 record on the horizon, it appears they have.

In recognition of our team’s dear hosts in Miami, here are a couple lines of dialogue from one of The U.’s favorite sons.

“Hey, Jabroni. Who are the Atlanta Hawks’ opponents missing today?”

“Well, Tyler Herro’s got a bum hip, Meyers Leonard’s out for the season, and Avery Br—”

“IT DOESN’T MATTER WHO’S OUT FOR THE HAWKS’ OPPONENTS!”

Let’s Go Hawks!

~lw3

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sub par game thread at best. .5 ⭐️ I’m just critiquing your work and I think you’re better than that. (As a writer). 

The last one was wordy and this one was more about Iggy than the Hawks. I think Hawks fans are more curious with what’s going on with us than the opposition, specially a guy like Iggy who isn’t even a starter I don’t believe and plays spot minutes waiting for the playoffs like some leach parasite 🦠.

Wonder if these game threads are jinxing the Hawks. Perhaps a guest host writer could give it a shot and you could step aside for a bit (if your ego allows). 

Just an observation from a Hawks fan. 

• Haha 2

You’re welcome squawk! 

Atlanta Hawks (14-19, 11th in the Eastern Conference) vs. Miami Heat (16-17, fifth in the Eastern Conference)

Miami; Sunday, 8 p.m. EST

BOTTOM LINE: Atlanta will try to break its three-game road slide when the Hawks play Miami.

The Heat are 2/3 against Southeast Division teams. Miami is second in the Eastern Conference in team defense, allowing just 109.6 points while holding opponents to 44.8% shooting.

The Hawks are 1-2 against opponents from the Southeast Division. Atlanta ranks third in the league with 11.3 offensive rebounds per game led by Clint Capela averaging 4.8.

The Heat and Hawks square off Sunday for the first time this season.

TOP PERFORMERS: Jimmy Butler leads the Heat with 7.8 assists and scores 20.1 points per game. Bam Adebayo is averaging 10.4 rebounds and 18.3 points per game over the last 10 games for Miami.

Trae Young leads the Hawks averaging 26.8 points and is adding 4.1 rebounds. John Collins is averaging 17.1 points and 6.9 rebounds while shooting 52.2% over the last 10 games for Atlanta.

LAST 10 GAMES: Heat: 7-3, averaging 108.5 points, 44.9 rebounds, 26.9 assists, 7.1 steals and 3.9 blocks per game while shooting 45.3% from the field. Their opponents have averaged 106.9 points on 44.9% shooting.

Hawks: 3-7, averaging 115.7 points, 42.5 rebounds, 24 assists, 7.5 steals and 4.4 blocks per game while shooting 47.2% from the field. Their opponents have averaged 118.3 points on 50.8% shooting.

• Like 1

I will be shocked and thrilled if the Hawks get this win. Both teams are trending in opposite directions. But if I have learned anything about this crazy season its upsets, and the unexpected wins and losses happen.

No chance to finish the break at .500 but it would be nice if we could get the last 10 near that.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 3

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I simulated this game on 2K but they took away the capabilities of letting me post that here for your enjoyment. @AHF how come you guys decided to do that? 

Anyways, Hawks won by 7.

Not sure what you are referring to about capability to post game simulations.  There hasn’t been any discussion around that.  @capstone21 has been updating the site some over the last year and we have seen that change or turn off certain features.  That is what led to the pinned thread.  If you can share some more detail on this on that thread, it will help him look into it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AHF said:

Not sure what you are referring to about capability to post game simulations.  There hasn’t been any discussion around that.  @capstone21 has been updating the site some over the last year and we have seen that change or turn off certain features.  That is what led to the pinned thread.  If you can share some more detail on this on that thread, it will help him look into it.

I think it’s basically the capability of attaching photos directly to the homecourt. We have the ability to do it via PM’s but not directly onto the site. Thinking back on it now I wonder if you took it off because of my flexing pics? 💪🏾 I think you were upset that I posted that so then the capabilities were taken away. 

I assure you that I won’t post any pics despite my elite 9% bf! 😃 That’s right, went from 14.. down to 12, now at 9! 

This however is just for posting simulated Hawks 2K games only as I understand it’s not a forum for showing off my guns 💪🏾

Thank you in advance.

Also, the constructive criticism in this site regarding the write up is just honesty. I realize we’ve all pampered @lethalweapon3 and patted him on the back for EVERY GAME THREAD EVER but were we honest with him, I’m not sure? 

I think we were just all happy to have something contributed. Then it kind of went wayward when he got comfortable and just put out anything and got likes for it. I just want you to know lw that I wasn’t being completely honest with what I thought of your work despite probably being the only one to read it word for word and one of your biggest fans. 

Tough love may be needed here to demand better from the write ups here. It’s just critiquing your writing for me here it’s not about who you are as a person and I hope you don’t take it that way.

Hoping to see better work from you in the future! Onward and upward!

• Haha 1

• Moderators

5:30 PM Boo-Boo Report's out... No idea that a forearm could spasm, but Danilo's listed as available despite it. Trae (sore adductor) is probable.

Again, not that it ever matters, but Bam's probable despite knee tendinosis. Jimmy Buckets (inflamed knee) and Tyler Herro (bruised hip) are still questionable.

~lw3

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrell said:
"You'd think we're on a 10-game winning streak right now, with the energy of being in Miami and being on the court and actually having a practice." — Lloyd Pierce, yesterday

lol. What?

That ain’t gonna save your job but nice try. Loser Lloyd back at it. 🤦 

• Haha 2

I miss Ivan Johnson. I need somebody like James Johnson or Serge Ibaka on this roster to get in people’s faces. 

Do we have an enforcer or just Capela? Don’t say Bruno don’t dare say Bruno. I’m mad at everyone who loved Bruno on this site while I said he was trash. 

Okongwu is our future bruiser but he needs more than 4 minutes a game, granted he went 2-2 fg and played a fantastic 4 minutes.

Mentally weak teams like ours lead by mentally weak coaches like Lloyd need mentally strong 💪🏾 players. 

Schlenk, if you don’t mind...

• Like 1