• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who would you like to see as the next head coach of the Atlanta Hawks?

Wurider05

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

My people tell me Mark Jackson is going to get a shot if he wants the job. This is my Bay Area connect. He worked with the Warriors from 1987-2001. 

I have :

1. Kenny Atkinson

2. Mark Jackson

3. Chauncey Billups

4. Jeff Van Gundy

5. Dave Joeger

6. Becky Hammon 

Reportedly, Mark left a bad mark with GS. He was supposedly difficult to work with, had a very acrimonious relationship with the team. He refused to compromise on his assistants, many were personal friends of Mark's,  as opposed to the highly qualified assistant coaches the team preferred, he also would leave town to do seminary work, sometimes in direct conflict with his coaching schedule, and other behavior that off putting.

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Reportedly, Mark left a bad mark with GS. He was supposedly difficult to work with, had a very acrimonious relationship with the team. He refused to compromise on his assistants, many were personal friends of Mark's,  as opposed to the highly qualified assistant coaches the team preferred, he also would leave town to do seminary work, sometimes in direct conflict with his coaching schedule, and other behavior that off putting.

He tried to heal Curry's ankles with blessed holy oil.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ex-warriors-coach-mark-jacksons-church-tried-to-heal-stephen-currys-ankle-with-oil/

• Haha 1

I hope Nate McMillan can take this job and run with it, because I am absolutely terrified at the thought that Trae may have too much influence on this decision.  I’m terrified that Trae will be lobbying for Jason Kidd, which would be just an absolute horrible decision.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, KB21 said:

I hope Nate McMillan can take this job and run with it, because I am absolutely terrified at the thought that Trae may have too much influence on this decision.  I’m terrified that Trae will be lobbying for Jason Kidd, which would be just an absolute horrible decision.  

I've never heard that.  why would he want Kidd?

If not Nate I'd go with Billups.     I don't like anything about Mark Jackson.   That's my nightmare scenario.    JVG - eh - can't see him as an atlanta coach.   What about Darvin Ham?  

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

If not Nate I'd go with Billups.     I don't like anything about Mark Jackson.   That's my nightmare scenario.    JVG - eh - can't see him as an atlanta coach.   What about Darvin Ham?  

I feel like Ham should have gotten the job after Bud, but at this point, I'm not all that interested in bringing in another 1st time head coach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I think JVG would be great for us.  And that's a change for me because I hadn't been enamored with him as a coach.  Why wouldn't he be an "Atlanta" coach?  He was a Houston coach.  What's the difference?

On Billups, I don't want to see another 1st timer.  He seems like a guy uninterested in paying his dues.  Just wants to be gifted a position.  I mean it's been years since his interest in coaching/GMing have popped up but he's never been on a staff or really done anything other than politic for jobs.  Surely there are aspects of the job(s) that he needs to learn, no?  Or does he think he's got it all figured out because he was a decent-to-good player for a while?  You just want to be a GM because you say so?  C'mon, man.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I think JVG would be great for us.  And that's a change for me because I hadn't been enamored with him as a coach.  Why wouldn't he be an "Atlanta" coach?  He was a Houston coach.  What's the difference?

On Billups, I don't want to see another 1st timer.  He seems like a guy uninterested in paying his dues.  Just wants to be gifted a position.  I mean it's been years since his interest in coaching/GMing have popped up but he's never been on a staff or really done anything other than politic for jobs.  Surely there are aspects of the job(s) that he needs to learn, no?  Or does he think he's got it all figured out because he was a decent-to-good player for a while?  You just want to be a GM because you say so?  C'mon, man.

I hear you, but if we eliminate first timers then i don't know where we are.   I'm fine with JVG but he's been rumored for every job the last 2 decades why hasn't he taken one.   

At the end of the day I want a winning coach but I'm hopeful that we can find someone who energizes the team and the town.   I guess that could be JVG?

icon-xland.gif

19 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I agree on Billiups. He's not ready or interested in the grind. 

16 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I hear you, but if we eliminate first timers then i don't know where we are.   I'm fine with JVG but he's been rumored for every job the last 2 decades why hasn't he taken one.   

At the end of the day I want a winning coach but I'm hopeful that we can find someone who energizes the team and the town.   I guess that could be JVG?

icon-xland.gif

Yeah but, sadly, the problem is the thing none of these "FRIRE_PEERCE" guys acknowledge.

What now?

Firing a guy is the beginning, not the ending.  Last night's events sent a clear message to the league, and it's not a good one.

You passed on the "generational talent" (that's imminently debatable, but that's another topic) but the coach gets blamed when the team falters?  You put together a roster that is basically all injured ... but the coach got the blame?

Expectations were cute at the start of the season but no one in league circles expected the Hawks to do anything but eek into the playoffs.  Nothing that's happened so far takes us off that course.  So, from the league's perspective (which matters), we were a little off track but not majorly so.  But the coach gets fired?  Fired?

A blind man can see what's next.  A new GM is next, especially if poorly thought out expectations are being taken this far by ownership.

If you're an established guy, would you sign up for that?  No, you'd only come to Atlanta if they're giving you personnel power.  For me, that's a non-starter.

If you're an up-and-comer, would you sign up for a year or so of unrealistic expectations and a lameduck GM?  Remember, most young HC's only get one shot before being relegated to another decade of the assistant whirlpool.

So that leaves us with retreads and never-was's to choose from.

Yay?

All these people clamoring to fire the coach remind me of the dog chasing cars.  Got no idea what TF to do with it if they ever catch one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

The firing isn't inconsistent with Travis' record so far as GM.   We aren't used to it but he's aggressive and that maybe his downfall.  He pulls the trigger.   I was on the fence.  I'd seen enough of LP for a few reasons but I could have definitely ridden out the season.   But fans had for a large part turned, players were obviously frustrated so what else are you going to do.   It's a decision that Travis knew would be heavily criticized so why do it other than the belief that the team will be better for it.  

53 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You passed on the "generational talent" (that's imminently debatable, but that's another topic) but the coach gets blamed when the team falters?  You put together a roster that is basically all injured ... but the coach got the blame?

JMO, but to me you fire the coach because he wasn't achieving the results that he should with the players available to him.  After all the injuries, I was no longer "grading" LP based on some expectation of making the playoffs, but rather how is he coaching the guys he does have.  When he makes the same decisions over and over that impact outcomes negatively, that's a problem.  I'm talking about continually taking Caplea out at the end of games and putting Gallo in. Playing these small ball lineups that get killed in key moments.  Losing timeouts on challenges. Etc...  Losing 11 games that the team lead in the 4th quarter is a problem for the HC.  

A blind man can see what's next.  A new GM is next, especially if poorly thought out expectations are being taken this far by ownership.

Poorly thought out expectations?  How so?  How is it unreasonable to expect a HC to not lose 11 times (in 25 games) when having the lead in the 4th quarter?  That's not poor expectations.  That's just evaluating the coach for his performance.  

If you're an established guy, would you sign up for that?  No, you'd only come to Atlanta if they're giving you personnel power.  For me, that's a non-starter.

If you're an up-and-comer, would you sign up for a year or so of unrealistic expectations and a lameduck GM?  Remember, most young HC's only get one shot before being relegated to another decade of the assistant whirlpool.

I think you are making an awful lot of assumptions with this.  I get that you weren't in favor of replacing LP, but we still have to deal in what we know, not what we want to be true. 

In regards to the GM, I don't think it's a given that TS is going to be out of a job any time soon.  The only FA that haven't worked out that would be an oversight on TS part are Gallo and Rondo.  And Rondo was brought on more for leadership than on court stuff, rightly or wrongly.  Gallo is the one that really hurts.  Maybe it cost TS his job eventually, but not anytime soon.   

Secondly, last I checked, there's still only 30 NBA jobs in the entire world and only a handful that are available at any given time. I just don't buy the idea that this is like the Tennessee college football job where they can get down to the 7th choice and have to practically beg someone to come.  In professional sports, there's ALWAYS a plethora a willing candidates.  You just have to figure out which one fits best.  

All these people clamoring to fire the coach remind me of the dog chasing cars.  Got no idea what TF to do with it if they ever catch one.

I'll just say this.  My position is always the same - once you know the HC isn't capable of accomplishing their goals, there's no need or purpose in delaying.  The right decision delayed is a wrong decision.  For me, it was evident that there were coaching flaws that were always going to prohibit him from succeeding in Atlanta.  Now my opinion didn't matter, doesn't matter, and never will matter.  I get that.  But I'm going to assume that TS eventually came to the same decision and made the move.  

Edited by REHawksFan

7 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

JMO, but to me you fire the coach because he wasn't achieving the results that he should with the players available to him.  After all the injuries, I was no longer "grading" LP based on some expectation of making the playoffs, but rather how is he coaching the guys he does have.  When he makes the same decisions over and over that impact outcomes negatively, that's a problem.  I'm talking about continually taking Caplea out at the end of games and putting Gallo in. Playing these small ball lineups that get killed in key moments.  Losing timeouts on challenges. Etc...  Losing 11 games that the team lead in the 4th quarter is a problem for the HC.  

Poorly thought out expectations?  How so?  How is it unreasonable to expect a HC to not lose 11 times (in 25 games) when having the lead in the 4th quarter?  That's not poor expectations.  That's just evaluating the coach for his performance.  

I think you are making an awful lot of assumptions with this.  I get that you weren't in favor of replacing LP, but we still have to deal in what we know, not what we want to be true. 

In regards to the GM, I don't think it's a given that TS is going to be out of a job any time soon.  The only FA that haven't worked out that would be an oversight on TS part are Gallo and Rondo.  And Rondo was brought on more for leadership than on court stuff, rightly or wrongly.  Gallo is the one that really hurts.  Maybe it cost TS his job eventually, but not anytime soon.   

Secondly, last I checked, there's still on 30 NBA jobs in the entire world and only a handful that are available at any given time. I just don't buy the idea that this is like the Tennessee CFP job where they can get down to the 7th choice and have to practically beg someone to come.  In professional sports, there's ALWAYS a plethora a willing candidates.  You just have to figure out which one fits best.  

I'll just say this.  My position is always the same - once you know the HC isn't capable of accomplishing their goals, there's no need or purpose in delaying.  The right decision delayed is a wrong decision.  For me, it was evident that there were coaching flaws that were always going to prohibit him from succeeding in Atlanta.  Now my opinion didn't matter, doesn't matter, and never will matter.  I get that.  But I'm going to assume that TS eventually came to the same decision and made the move.  

I think where we're missing each other is that I was speaking more so on what the firing looks like from the perspective of outsiders looking in.

Like you, I re-assessed Pierce as a coach based on the available players.  Like you, I was left wanting more.  I wasn't happy with it.  I'm not necessarily against replacing him.  My issues are with how and when it was done.  And I have major issues with some amongst our fanbase who, let's just say, aren't as thoughtful as you are in your assessments.

Also, I don't think my assumptions about our situations are unfair.  If Schlenk got fired at the end of the season, it wouldn't surprise anyone.  Most people think he leaped way to early in his offseason moves.

For the record, I personally think we'll end the season well under McMillan.  But it won't be because we made a coaching change.  It'll simply be because we got healthier.

• Like 2