• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who would you like to see as the next head coach of the Atlanta Hawks?

Wurider05

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Coach Cal. Finally decides the time is right to give the NBA another go.

As a UK fan, I'll tell you I'd want no part of Cal in the NBA.  I'm not a fan of college coaches making the jump in general but Cal in particular is someone who is not real strong on X's and O's.  His strength is in working with people - recruiting, getting buy-in from guys with big egos, etc.

He isn't known for implementing complicated schemes or being a master of in-game adjustments.  Coming to the NBA, his single biggest strength (recruiting) wouldn't even apply unless you think he can land big-time FAs.  Like if you think Anthony Davis is coming here because we signed Cal then I could understand that perspective.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I think where we're missing each other is that I was speaking more so on what the firing looks like from the perspective of outsiders looking in.

Like you, I re-assessed Pierce as a coach based on the available players.  Like you, I was left wanting more.  I wasn't happy with it.  I'm not necessarily against replacing him.  My issues are with how and when it was done.  And I have major issues with some amongst our fanbase who, let's just say, aren't as thoughtful as you are in your assessments.

Also, I don't think my assumptions about our situations are unfair.  If Schlenk got fired at the end of the season, it wouldn't surprise anyone.  Most people think he leaped way to early in his offseason moves.

For the record, I personally think we'll end the season well under McMillan.  But it won't be because we made a coaching change.  It'll simply be because we got healthier.

I don't think you can make decisions based on what the rest of the basketball world will think of it.  I also don't think you operate from a position of fear of what might or might not happen after the firing.  If firing the was right course of action, commit to it and move on.  

Regarding Schlenk, I agree that it probably wouldn't surprise anyone if he was fired, but I also don't think there's any real reason for a potential candidate to be afraid of it happening or to expect it to happen in the near future.  If he's going to be fired, it would most likely be at the end of this season (prior to making the HC hire) or after a few seasons of the new coach in place.  I don't see a scenario where he's allowed to make a new hire and then fired shortly thereafter.  

Finally, I'm pretty interested in seeing how the team fairs prior to the injured players returning.  I could see them play well as is for Nate and then get even better once the guys get healthy. Or, I could also see the product staying status quo until the guys get healthy.  But what I saw in his 3 game stint earlier was enough of a difference in energy / rotations / overall quality that I'm optimistic that the team will see marked improvement even before getting fully healthy.     

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

As a UK fan, I'll tell you I'd want no part of Cal in the NBA.  I'm not a fan of college coaches making the jump in general but Cal in particular is someone who is not real strong on X's and O's.  His strength is in working with people - recruiting, getting buy-in from guys with big egos, etc.

He isn't known for implementing complicated schemes or being a master of in-game adjustments.  Coming to the NBA, his single biggest strength (recruiting) wouldn't even apply unless you think he can land big-time FAs.  Like if you think Anthony Davis is coming here because we signed Cal then I could understand that perspective.

In Cal's defense, how complicated a scheme can you have with a group of 18 or 19 year olds really only together for a few months? It would certainly be a sexy hire. Cal doesn't seem like a TS guy to me, but I love Cal's energy and charisma, until we start losing of course.

Here's a dark horse: Anthony Grant of Dayton. Head coaching experience, admittedly in college, but a former NBA assistant. And he's considered an offensive innovator.

I want no part of Jeff Van Gundy. He's been in the garage too long, and even before that he couldn't make it work with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady.

Same for Mark Jackson, but for different reasons. There was the aforementioned bizarre drama within the organization with him and his assistant coaches and management. But I'm a Bay Area guy also, and there weren't too many fans around who were sad to see him and his bare-bones offensive scheme leave town.

Jackson's situation brings up the general point, that what is best for the team may not be fair to the coach. It may not be fair to Pierce to be let go at this juncture, with these injuries, but most who have closely watched the team (and seeing the Athletic report on how many players Pierce had already lost) see this change of voice as being in the best interests of the organization.

Mike Woodson got the same treatment. The national media saw a guy who won more games each season with a rebuilding team. Atlanta fans saw a guy who needed to go.

But with all that said, I'm fine with seeing what Nate can do, and then giving him the full-time gig if the players respond.

Would anyone be interested in Becky Hammon?  I admittedly don't know anything about her other than she learned under Pop.  But I don't really know much about most assistants.  

The main things I'm looking for in a HC is one that can design quality NBA offensive plays and make adjustments when teams try to take Trae out of the game and a coach that has no problem garnering the respect of the players (getting them to respond to coaching).  

I don't really care if it's a previous head coach or new head coach.  Just give me someone that has the tools to be successful.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

How can any Hawks fan worth the name Hawks FAN want to bring back the traitor Coach Bud? This guy forced them to fire him so he could go to the Bucks and not give the Hawks any draft pick compensation. That's on top of giving up on the Hawks because they made the right decision to take away any personnel power from him and have him just coach. 

I want no part of that. It is like a Falcons fan wanting Bobby Pestinko back as coach. Hell no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

Would anyone be interested in Becky Hammon?  I admittedly don't know anything about her other than she learned under Pop.  But I don't really know much about most assistants.  

The main things I'm looking for in a HC is one that can design quality NBA offensive plays and make adjustments when teams try to take Trae out of the game and a coach that has no problem garnering the respect of the players (getting them to respond to coaching).  

I don't really care if it's a previous head coach or new head coach.  Just give me someone that has the tools to be successful.  

I think the group that knows most about her as a coach is the Spurs and, when it came time to let groom a successor, they dragged Tim Duncan back and gave the 1st chair to him.

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

How can any Hawks fan worth the name Hawks FAN want to bring back the traitor Coach Bud? This guy forced them to fire him so he could go to the Bucks and not give the Hawks any draft pick compensation. That's on top of giving up on the Hawks because they made the right decision to take away any personnel power from him and have him just coach. 

I want no part of that. It is like a Falcons fan wanting Bobby Pestinko back as coach. Hell no.

Only part I disagree with is your spelling of Quitrino.

(Well that and you spelling of Failcons but I don't want you to yell at me.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Becky could coach up Trae.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Aye, nobody gonna say Pitino?  @AHF @bird_dirt where y'all at?

If anybody knows how to put Atlanta's roster of *ahem* "gentleman's clubs" to work, it's that guy.

Nope.  No interest in having him either.  I'm personally interested to see how Nate does and would look to reassess from there.  This is his trial run now.  He isn't my ideal choice but something to be said for continuity if the team responds strongly to him.  He has the track record to be a steady hand on the wheel for a young team and to give them much needed guidance on the fly.

• Like 2