• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lloyd Pierce Appreciation Thread

TRW

• Premium Member

LP having his mind on a new baby and dealing with this news is sad to hear, especially considering that they are still on a road trip.

I've was fired from my previous position while I was on vacation. Hearing disappointing news during what should be a happy occasion sucks for everyone. I hope the Hawks were professional in how they carried out their decision.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, TRW said:

Thank you for being the leader and man you are. We live in a world where tough decisions have to be made. Regardless,  thank you for being the coach of my Atlanta Hawks. Keep your head up and continue to prepare for your next head coaching gig. 

He definitely was doing what he was brought here to do and thats develop players.  I think the owners wanted to speed up the process and pressed Schlenk a bit and Loyd couldn't rise to the challenge with some of the injuries.  He was not adding value when everything wasn't perfect. 

I don't blame him personally for the lack of success but I don't think he was good enough to overcome the challenges we have this season. 

Too bad we couldn't see what he could do with a full squad. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Glass half-full in the Pierce household...

Could there be any better "distraction" from the fact you just got canned than to have a new baby?

We can debate, as we do for anyone else, the quality of coach that Lloyd Pierce is.

Can't legitimately debate the quality of person he is.

Godspeed, Coach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

And he can possibly find a head coaching position in the offseason if that's what he wants. 

He can certainly put his name out there but I'll be shocked if he gets added as a head coach elsewhere.  I view him in a similar situation to Woody post-Atlanta where I don't think any team will be considering him next season as a head coach and he will likely need to put in at least a year as an assistant first.

The best thing that happened under LP's watch was the development of young talent with JC, Hunter and Trae being the showcase pieces there.  When you look at where they've come from their first days in the league to where they are now, it is a very positive story.  

Unlike Woody who could point to 3 playoffs runs, a 50+ win season and several playoff series wins, LP doesn't have much of anything going for him as far as team success or game management.  I do think LP probably interviews a lot better than Woody and is more attractive from a PR perspective to offset some of the different in resume.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

He can certainly put his name out there but I'll be shocked if he gets added as a head coach elsewhere.  I view him in a similar situation to Woody post-Atlanta where I don't think any team will be considering him next season as a head coach and he will likely need to put in at least a year as an assistant first.

The best thing that happened under LP's watch was the development of young talent with JC, Hunter and Trae being the showcase pieces there.  When you look at where they've come from their first days in the league to where they are now, it is a very positive story.  

Unlike Woody who could point to 3 playoffs runs, a 50+ win season and several playoff series wins, LP doesn't have much of anything going for him as far as team success or game management.  I do think LP probably interviews a lot better than Woody and is more attractive from a PR perspective to offset some of the different in resume.

I was trying to be positive!!!

DifferentBonyGalago-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I was trying to be positive!!!

DifferentBonyGalago-max-1mb.gif

Me too with the player development thing and I think following in Woody's footsteps and landing a new job in the next couple seasons would be a good outcome for him.

I did combine these two positive LP threads and moved some of the other discussion to the LP dismissed thread for those looking for any missing posts.  

Let's try to keep this thread geared around those who want to offer something positive for LP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m gonna echo everyone else here and everywhere that coach Pierce is a great guy. I think the impact he left on the players will reveal itself and pay dividends down the road in a few years and another coach will get the wins for the foundation he built for our young team.

Best of luck to Lloyd in his personal life and career moving forward. 

• Like 2

I feel that Lloyd Pierce was a very good man for the city of Atlanta and for the state of Georgia.  Whether he just couldn't overcome or whether his team let him down, we can debate until the cows come home.  That he is well liked by other coaches in the NBA is very evident.

Hawks just couldn't win.  Wasn't all his fault.  There was plenty of blame to go around.  Everyone gets some and we'll leave it at that.  Injuries sure had a sad portion, too.

Good luck, Lloyd Pierce.  We know and you knew this would happen.  Just didn't know when.  

Go Nate Mc and the Atlanta Hawks !!

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Given about 24 hours now to digest, I think a lot of self-important fans who in some cyber world or alternative universe are, themselves, head coaches, just not in this empirical one, are going to be feasting on some crow some day.

It angers me even, to some degree, that LP was given only 34 games, and never a full roster to try to attain some success. The pieces that he wasn't able to deploy are significant pieces. It's not like we're talking guys who were scrubs. We're talking about rotation guys at worst, and starters. It's actually insane to consider if ATL was merely 3 games better... .500 record... he's almost certainly still employed. I mean, 3 games... under those circumstances.

Really Travis?

As much as I couldn't be convinced when he was hired that LP was anything more than a bridge to the next head coach... and as much as I'm one who earnestly believes there's some political overreach at times that ends up being counterproductive, and that LP and others in the ATL front office, including the owner, seemed to be too eager to use their celebrity to push what, neutrally and objectively speaking, were innately anti-police political positions...

Over time, given enough pressers both after losses and after wins, I became persuaded that LP was more intelligent and better suited for an NBA head coaching job than I'd originally been prepared to think he was... and too, he's just a quality person who cares about bettering society. So, even if I for one am stone-cold against the NBA being a political advocacy organization fronted by an entertainment product that effectively funnels ticket, broadcast, and merch revenue to selected causes... I can criticize that, while wholeheartedly appreciating his heart.

To wit.... it is entirely plausible to think of LP spending a year or two or three as the lead assistant on some NBA bench, getting hired for his 2nd go, and emerging as one of the league's most well-regarded generals.

In fact, given Pop's obvious exceptional regard for him, who's to say he doesn't go there, and take over for Pop in SAS?

Not me.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sturt said:

Given about 24 hours now to digest, I think a lot of self-important fans who in some cyber world or alternative universe are, themselves, head coaches, just not in this empirical one, are going to be feasting on some crow some day.

It angers me even, to some degree, that LP was given only 34 games, and never a full roster to try to attain some success. The pieces that he wasn't able to deploy are significant pieces. It's not like we're talking guys who were scrubs. We're talking about rotation guys at worst, and starters. It's actually insane to consider if ATL was merely 3 games better... .500 record... he's almost certainly still employed. I mean, 3 games... under those circumstances.

Really Travis?

As much as I couldn't be convinced when he was hired that LP was anything more than a bridge to the next head coach... and as much as I'm one who earnestly believes there's some political overreach at times that ends up being counterproductive, and that LP and others in the ATL front office, including the owner, seemed to be too eager to use their celebrity to push what, neutrally and objectively speaking, were innately anti-police political positions...

Over time, given enough pressers both after losses and after wins, I became persuaded that LP was more intelligent and better suited for an NBA head coaching job than I'd originally been prepared to think he was... and too, he's just a quality person who cares about bettering society. So, even if I for one am stone-cold against the NBA being a political advocacy organization fronted by an entertainment product that effectively funnels ticket, broadcast, and merch revenue to selected causes... I can criticize that, while wholeheartedly appreciating his heart.

To wit.... it is entirely plausible to think of LP spending a year or two or three as the lead assistant on some NBA bench, getting hired for his 2nd go, and emerging as one of the league's most well-regarded generals.

In fact, given Pop's obvious exceptional regard for him, who's to say he doesn't go there, and take over for Pop in SAS?

Not me.

Great post.  I too widely ignore the political involvement of entertainers and think Lloyd was generally a classy guy.  Our next coach most likely won’t be able to hold a candle to his sartorial flair lol.

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

Great post.  I too widely ignore the political involvement of entertainers and think Lloyd was generally a classy guy.  Our next coach most likely won’t be able to hold a candle to his sartorial flair lol.

If you are to believe the Athletic article, the Hawks actually had designs on firing him at the end of last year until COVID and social unrest created a bigger dynamic and bigger platform on which LP stood.  His political and social stances (combined with the chaos of a pandemic) likely afforded him these 31 games in year 3. 

I think the fact that the Hawks were planning to not bring him into this year shows that they never regarded him as anything other than a bridge to a coach that would actually coach them into the playoffs.  So in a way, this firing was always inevitable UNLESS the Hawks somehow got on an East leading run a la the Braves with Snit a few years ago.  

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

If you are to believe the Athletic article, the Hawks actually had designs on firing him at the end of last year until COVID and social unrest created a bigger dynamic and bigger platform on which LP stood.  His political and social stances (combined with the chaos of a pandemic) likely afforded him these 31 games in year 3. 

I think the fact that the Hawks were planning to not bring him into this year shows that they never regarded him as anything other than a bridge to a coach that would actually coach them into the playoffs.  So in a way, this firing was always inevitable UNLESS the Hawks somehow got on an East leading run a la the Braves with Snit a few years ago.  

I just don't believe that - it's revisionist and for clicks!

Turner, Crabbe, Parker, Len Jones, Parsons, 3 rookies - what was he supposed to do with that?  Were we not tanking.  Schlenk himself said he and his front office predicted 30 wins - we got 20 in a shortened season and Collins missing 25 games. This part of the story smells to high heaven.

giphy.gif

• Like 1