• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lloyd Pierce Appreciation Thread

TRW

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I'd like to hear what he actually said. This sounds like one those things where context and the exact wording is very important. I doubt he straight up threw Trae under the bus. 

I would like to hear that too.  The way the article is written it makes it sound like he specifically called out Trae's shots and the fouls he draws on them and that being bad for the game.  If so, that is beyond a party foul.  But that would also be really stupid so it may well be bad and inaccurate reporting if he simply spoke up more generally and didn't talk about Trae specifically.

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

I would like to hear that too.  The way the article is written it makes it sound like he specifically called out Trae's shots and the fouls he draws on them and that being bad for the game.  If so, that is beyond a party foul.  But that would also be really stupid so it may well be bad and inaccurate reporting if he simply spoke up more generally and didn't talk about Trae specifically.

The article says he mentioned Trae but then it adds he was speaking in a broader context. So which one is it? Without reading his exact words, I'm not going to accuse Lloyd of throwing Trae under the bus.

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

The article says he mentioned Trae but then it adds he was speaking in a broader context. So which one is it? Without reading his exact words, I'm not going to accuse Lloyd of throwing Trae under the bus.

It can be both.  If he brings up Trae in the context of a broader discussion about how the game is being played and called, then it isn't an either / or situation.  In fact, it is almost impossible to imagine that this didn't come up in the context of a broader discussion.  

Example 1 - Trae is not brought up in broader discussion and the article misconstrues what he said as applying to Trae

Other Coaches - Blah, blah, talking about unnatural drawing of fouls...

LP - " I really get frustrated seeing some of the calls that players draw when they aren't taking legitimate shots.  When a player contorts his body or move to a spot on the floor for the express purpose of creating contact and then throw the ball at the basket as a secondary concern and then gets rewarded with a shooting foul, that is bad for the game."

Example 2 - Trae is brought up in a broader discussion

LP - "You see it with a number of really talented players and it encourages them to play the game the wrong way.  You can see it in stars like James Harden who don't need to do these things but who do it because they know they'll never shoot better on a shot from the floor than they do from the line.  Look at my own young star in Trae.  He has taken to baiting contact and shifting his momentum to create contact while shooting some forced shots this season and then gets rewarded for these ridiculous low % shots with a trip to the line.  I don't like to see it with him or any other player.  This is not the way we should want offense to look at a league."

Example 3 - Trae is brought up but not in broader discussion

Other Coaches - Blah, blah, complaining about having to wear face masks and how uncomfortable they are

LP - "I know those face masks really chafe.  You know what else chafe's my hide?  My guy Trae Young and his ridiculous foul baiting.  He has taken to baiting contact and shifting his momentum to create contact while shooting some forced shots this season and then gets rewarded for these ridiculous low % shots with a trip to the line.  I don't like to see it with him or any other player."

Pops - "You may want to look into those logo 3's as well.  I've had a hard enough time wrapping my head around the 3pt shot without having to avoid exploding when I see that garbage."

29 minutes ago, AHF said:

It can be both.  If he brings up Trae in the context of a broader discussion about how the game is being played and called, then it isn't an either / or situation.  In fact, it is almost impossible to imagine that this didn't come up in the context of a broader discussion.  

Example 1 - Trae is not brought up in broader discussion and the article misconstrues what he said as applying to Trae

LP - " I really get frustrated seeing some of the calls that players draw when they aren't taking legitimate shots.  When a player contorts his body or move to a spot on the floor for the express purpose of creating contact and then throw the ball at the basket as a secondary concern and then gets rewarded with a shooting foul, that is bad for the game."

LP - "You see it with a number of really talented players and it encourages them to play the game the wrong way.  You can see it in stars like James Harden who don't need to do these things but who do it because they know they'll never shoot better on a shot from the floor than they do from the line.  Look at my own young star in Trae.  He has taken to baiting contact and shifting his momentum to create contact while shooting some forced shots this season and then gets rewarded for these ridiculous low % shots with a trip to the line.  I don't like to see it with him or any other player.  This is not the way we should want offense to look at a league."

Other Coaches - Blah, blah, complaining about having to wear face masks and how uncomfortable they are

LP - "I know those face masks really chafe.  You know what else chafe's my hide?  My guy Trae Young and his ridiculous foul baiting.  He has taken to baiting contact and shifting his momentum to create contact while shooting some forced shots this season and then gets rewarded for these ridiculous low % shots with a trip to the line.  I don't like to see it with him or any other player."

Pops - "You may want to look into those logo 3's as well.  I've had a hard enough time wrapping my head around the 3pt shot without having to avoid exploding when I see that garbage."

Nice touch with the Pops quote at the end.

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, AHF said:

That's such a Pop thing.  Good one! LOL

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Are you the new old Diesel? Groovy!

On 3/5/2021 at 11:43 AM, bleachkit said:

I'd like to hear what he actually said. This sounds like one those things where context and the exact wording is very important. I doubt he straight up threw Trae under the bus. 

You wouldn’t think but judging his interview on nba radio last week about how he doesn’t worry about player to coach relationships I wouldn’t be shocked if he did 

At the end of the day, Trae draws a lot of contact, he baits a lot of guys, but he isn't a flopper. That to me is much worse. I've heard a lot of casuals repeating these criticisms about Trae calling him a flopper and Im like no dude, that's so far from the case.

Star players have been drawing contact for years. We have been burned over and over by them. It's always been apart of the game, and superstars have always had a quick whistle in their favor. In the end, this isnt about protecting the purity of the game. A ton of people just genuinely do not like Trae Young. If he stopped drawing fouls they would just find something else to criticize.

Notice they dont say he cant win or only has empty stats. That was last year's narrative. This year its the fouls. Next year it'll his leadership. Just wait.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Although I think it was the right decision to move on for LP, my biggest concern is the continued development of the young guys. LP was brought here for that and he was super successful in developing John and Trae and was right there with DeAndre. If Cam and OO get shelved for our run at the eight seed, that may set us back from our bigger goals which is to out together a squad that can compete for a championship.  I hope Nate can balance the two going forward. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Although I think it was the right decision to move on for LP, my biggest concern is the continued development of the young guys. LP was brought here for that and he was super successful in developing John and Trae and was right there with DeAndre. If Cam and OO get shelved for our run at the eight seed, that may set us back from our bigger goals which is to out together a squad that can compete for a championship.  I hope Nate can balance the two going forward. 

I strongly disagree that Pierce was super successful at developing Trae and john

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I strongly disagree that Pierce was super successful at developing Trae and john

I think it is easy to forget that LP has been around the development of stars in this league and they all will tell you he had a big part in that. From LBJ to Steph to Embid. Now Trae. We can’t automatically assume top drafted players will develop into superstars because of their draft position. In fact, all the pundits were betting that Trae would be a bust. LP had no head coaching experience before he started and it was clear that we were in a rebuild not focused on winning but development. He did his part. We just can’t lose sight of that because we want to make the playoffs now.  Had it not been for the John suspension and our season getting cut short, he would have had more opportunities to develop Cam and Dre and possibly more team chemistry.  It is still important to make sure Cam has an opportunity to develop because he is the key to our long term success.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, MarylandHawk said:

I think it is easy to forget that LP has been around the development of stars in this league and they all will tell you he had a big part in that. From LBJ to Steph to Embid. Now Trae. We can’t automatically assume top drafted players will develop into superstars because of their draft position. In fact, all the pundits were betting that Trae would be a bust. LP had no head coaching experience before he started and it was clear that we were in a rebuild not focused on winning but development. He did his part. We just can’t lose sight of that because we want to make the playoffs now.  Had it not been for the John suspension and our season getting cut short, he would have had more opportunities to develop Cam and Dre and possibly more team chemistry.  It is still important to make sure Cam has an opportunity to develop because he is the key to our long term success.   

Trae has the same problems he had in his 1st year so I'm not seeing it

• Like 1