• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Magic

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

All that tells me is the whole league agrees with me that he's not that good.  Even backup pg's get paid nowadays.  The fact that he couldn't is telling.

So he's would not be an upgrade over Rondo? Is that your position? Dude, check his assists numbers. They are excellent. His steal numbers are excellent. His efficiency is excellent. Youre being obtuse and dismissive, as you often are with regards to seemingly every non hawk player. 

14 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Yeah especially since he hated LP

I think they all did.smh..Hard to see Huerter and Collins hating him though, after their goodbye speeches..They were probably the two students that brought an apple to the teacher every day..lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

So he's would not be an upgrade over Rondo? Is that your position? Dude, check his assists numbers. They are excellent. His steal numbers are excellent. His efficiency is excellent. Youre being obtuse and dismissive, as you often are with regards to seemingly every non hawk player. 

We're just having a discussion, no need to try and hurt my feelings.

Those metrics are available to everyone in a league that consistently overpays mediocre players and that supposedly values 'winning' analytics like what you're quoting.  Yet he couldn't get more than $3.5mil?  The guy is ok, not much more than that.

And being an upgrade over Rondo isn't the question.  It's more like, is he an upgrade over Dunn who's supposed to be our backup point.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Those metrics are available to everyone in a league that consistently overpays mediocre players and that supposedly values 'winning' analytics like what you're quoting.  Yet he couldn't get more than $3.5mil?  The guy is ok, not much more than that.

And being an upgrade over Rondo isn't the question.  It's more like, is he an upgrade over Dunn who's supposed to be our backup point.

Exactly.  Rondo was brought in to replace VC as the elder statesman and to continue the veteran player/coach role.  He was forced into the backup role when Dunn's injury began to draw out. Dunn was supposed to be back by now.

32 minutes ago, terrell said:

Update tomorrow (supposedly) if he'll need another injection or not..

Im going to prepare for the worst, and assume he gets another shot and has to sit whatever the additional time is as a result. The fact it wasn't an option until recently makes me believe that its more likely to happen than not.

If Im wrong great. Just like Bogi's surprise return, I will believe it when I see it and be pleasantly surprised. But waiting for any tangible timeline from our team sources is futile.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

Except it IS consistent with what I've been saying. This is where you seem to be employing selective reading or comprehension skills.  I've said over and over today that I applaud that pass.  No issue with it whatsoever.  It fits EXACTLY with what I've been saying.  Trae established his scoring early in the game and then let the facilitating flow out of that.  That's EXACTLY what he needs to do.  

His growth is in understanding at what points he needs to be the superstar and at what point he needs to trust his teammates.  That's where he's still learning.  But the way the game played out yesterday was exactly the way @TheNorthCydeRises and I and others have been saying Trae needs to play. 

I'm not sure why you keep thinking I don't want him passing.  How much larger and bolder and using colorful fonts do I need to do to get you to actually read the post and comprehend it?????   

To your point about Nate, I've also said IF they can develop into a consistent defensive team then that will also take the burden off of Trae and make it less necessary for him to be be that scorer that he needs to be now.  

Making the right play does not equal shoot 1st

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Now you are getting it.  For Trae, making the right play is shooting first.  Facilitating once that's established.  Glad you came around, this discussion was exhausting.  

That's where Nate and Trae's father disagree with you.  The right play is unbiased

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

That's where Nate and Trae's father disagree with you.  The right play is unbiased

Well keep in mind I'm talking about his style of play, not individual play scenarios.  You make it out like I'm saying that passing is never the right play.  Of course it is.  Nate would agree and so to, Rayford, I think.  The key for Trae is knowing when to pass and when to take it upon himself to score.  Again, Nate and Mr. Young would agree.  

You like putting words in people's mouths that we didn't say.  It's not a zero sum deal.  It can and is both.  I'm saying I think Trae and the Hawks fair better when early in the game, Trae is establishing his own scoring whether through jumpers or attacking the lane.  Then he and the Hawks play off of that.  By play off of that, I mean PASSING.  

I swear I can't figure out if you are being difficult just for the sake of it or if you actually believe the nonsense you are claiming that I say, or intend to say.  Either way, I think we've reached the point where I'm no longer interested in explaining the same things over and over and over to you.  

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Well keep in mind I'm talking about his style of play, not individual play scenarios.  You make it out like I'm saying that passing is never the right play.  Of course it is.  Nate would agree and so to, Rayford, I think.  The key for Trae is knowing when to pass and when to take it upon himself to score.  Again, Nate and Mr. Young would agree.  

You like putting words in people's mouths that we didn't say.  It's not a zero sum deal.  It can and is both.  I'm saying I think Trae and the Hawks fair better when early in the game, Trae is establishing his own scoring whether through jumpers or attacking the lane.  Then he and the Hawks play off of that.  By play off of that, I mean PASSING.  

I swear I can't figure out if you are being difficult just for the sake of it or if you actually believe the nonsense you are claiming that I say, or intend to say.  Either way, I think we've reached the point where I'm no longer interested in explaining the same things over and over and over to you.  

It is kind of hilarious that when you are arguing for a balanced approach that involves Trae asserting his own offense and pivoting into playmaking off of that pressure that anyone would use yesterday as an argument for why you are wrong.  Just bizarre to see game in which Trae scored 32 points (top 10 for the season for him) and had 8 assists (tied for his 24th highest assist total) to argue that this undermines the way you've said you want to see Trae play.  A game with Trae shooting the ball 19 times and scoring 30+ points while making good passes off of that pressure on the defense is exactly what you've been advocating.  

Makes me scratch my head.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

It is kind of hilarious that when you are arguing for a balanced approach that involves Trae asserting his own offense and pivoting into playmaking off of that pressure that anyone would use yesterday as an argument for why you are wrong.  Just bizarre to see game in which Trae scored 32 points (top 10 for the season for him) and had 8 assists (tied for his 24th highest assist total) to argue that this undermines the way you've said you want to see Trae play.  A game with Trae shooting the ball 19 times and scoring 30+ points while making good passes off of that pressure on the defense is exactly what you've been advocating.  

Thank you.  I'm glad someone else sees it.  I was starting to lose my sanity explaining the same things over and over.  

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, AHF said:

Everybody is in support of what Trae did yesterday.  I just comment on the fact that the father was proud of him making the right play while some will make the statement that making the right play doesn't work for Trae.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Everybody is in support of what Trae did yesterday.  I just comment on the fact that the father was proud of him making the right play while some will make the statement that making the right play doesn't work for Trae.

I would just like to point out that in the game vs the Cavs, we were in a similar position but with 4 seconds left on the game clock, down 1. Trae also passed to Snell but alas Snell's attempt was after the buzzer and he missed the shot. In this case Trae should have taken the shot with the short shot clock. These are all learning moments for Trae.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I would just like to point out that in the game vs the Cavs, we were in a similar position but with 4 seconds left on the game clock, down 1. Trae also passed to Snell but alas Snell's attempt was after the buzzer and he missed the shot. In this case Trae should have taken the shot with the short shot clock. These are all learning moments for Trae.

The right play is the right play.  It doesn't matter whether he passes or shoots.  If it is the right play, It is the right play and he should be encourage to make the right play

7 hours ago, kg01 said:

Contracts are not how you evaluate a player. Some guys are over paid, some guys are underpaid. A lot of that is timing, and how you played in your contract year, the overall market, etc. Let's see what McConnell gets this summer, guarantee you he gets a nice raise.

Hawks are 1 game out of 8 seed..2 games out of 6th..I want the 6th seed. We need to avoid the play in game with Atlanta Sports luck..lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

The right play is the right play.  It doesn't matter whether he passes or shoots.  If it is the right play, It is the right play and he should be encourage to make the right play

Is the right play a 30 footer?  Because that can be the right play too.

Full disclosure, I used to hate when he shot from that deep, especially in the first 2 months of his rookie year.

But then he started making the shot with a lot more frequency.

If the Basketball-Reference shot chart is accurate, ( and if I counted correctly ) Trae on the year is 21 - 48 on 30+ foot shots.   IF that's correct, he's shooting 43.8% on his deep 3s.

This would make a BOMB from Trae one of the best 3 point shots anyone on the team can take.

From 34 feet+, he's 7 - 12.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, terrell said:

Hawks are 1 game out of 8 seed..2 games out of 6th..I want the 6th seed. We need to avoid the play in game with Atlanta Sports luck..lol

Yes we are 2 games out but so are like 5 other teams. We are really gonna need to play very well to get the 6th seed and probably finish several games over .500. It's a long shot, but if we can get some more people back sooner rather than later it should be possible. 

• Like 1