At the halfway mark of the season and some 3 weeks ahead of the trade deadline, What do the Hawks NEED to improve??

REHawksFan

Been thinking about what, if anything, the Hawks need to improve as a team.  The obvious answer is to get healthy.  I get that.  So lets assume we get Cam back after the break and Hunter is set to return sometime in April for the last 3-4 weeks of the regular season.  Is that enough?  Some questions:

1. Is the combination of Bogie, Kevin, and Rondo sufficient to handle the backup ballhandling duties while Trae sits or when Trae is the focus of the defense?  Or do we need to try to acquire an additional, legit PG? 
  2. Is the combination of Clint / JC / Gallo / OO sufficient for the front court depth?  Can we ride the rest of the season without an additional legit body in there?  Is Bruno an answer or do we need to trade for someone?  
  3. With the wing depth we potentially have once healthy - Dre / Bogie / Kevin / Cam / Snell - is someone superfluous and available for use in a trade?  The obvious is Snell with his big salary but other option could be Kevin as a young player with upside.  

I've ignored Dunn because I have no confidence that he'll play at all this year but he's another player in the rotation if available.  So where do we go from here?  Ride it out by just getting healthy or make a move to try to get better?  

Internal development from the wings is the biggest thing I see. 

Snell needs to keep playing the way he's playing 

Kevin and Cam have to play at a higher level overall. Cam has to play to his strengths offensively and only take wide open threes. Kevin defense is a problem with Trae, I don't know how much that can improve while playing with Trae. He looked fine defensively when Trae was on the bench. 

Backup PG is still our biggest issue. That's the most obvious one.

Edited by NBASupes

11 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

You don’t like Rondo? Or his availability or lack there of?

Playoff Rondo is special. RS Rondo is trash. 

4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Back up point guard and back up center are the two positions that stick out, IMO, if this team wants to push for the playoffs.  

I know this is not possible as we are banned to pick him up but I wouldn't mind Dedmon back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Playoff Rondo is special.

Let’s get there and see it. I agree, he coasts till it’s time. Vet. If we get in we will be a handful, the yin and Yang ☯️ of Trae and Rondo isn’t easy to game plan against for sure.

When this guy goes to the Lakers, and helps them win another championship, people are going to be asking themselves why they didn't pick him up.

I'm still not a believer in Gallinari as a consistent scorer, and especially with his defense.

This guy tops Gallo in both categories, even if his style of play is outdated.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7r59q9y 

Drummond for Rondo, Bruno and Gallo works just fine. Probably would have to exchange picks but yah...works.

What's the thought around this? We bring Drummond off the bench? And then Mays as our FT backup PG? And Gallo has offense, if he's not playing last night through the bulk of the 4th it would've been all Trae hero ball. Drummond is nearly unplayable in the 4th.

9 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Drummond for Rondo, Bruno and Gallo works just fine. Probably would have to exchange picks but yah...works.

Can't imagine Cavs would entertain that trade since all three guys have more years on their contracts with 2 being old and declining while Drummond is a FA which clears cap space for them.  

• Like 1

The Minnesota Timberwolves have reportedly "shown interest" in a pair of high-profile power forwards, with the Atlanta Hawks' John Collins and Orlando Magic's Aaron Gordon looking appealing ahead of the 2021 NBA trade deadline on March 25.

Shams Charania of The Athletic reported Thursday the Wolves and Magic held "substantive conversations" about Gordon before he suffered an ankle injury in a Jan. 31 loss to the Toronto Raptors, and those talks could pick back up once he's close to a return.

Several big names have already changed teams this season, including James Harden heading to the Brooklyn Nets as part of a blockbuster four-team deal and Derrick Rose returning to the New YorkKnicksfrom the Detroit Pistons.

The Pistons are keeping Blake Griffin onthe bench for the time being as they continue to explore trade opportunities for the six-time All-Star. The Cleveland Cavaliers are also holding AndreDrummond out of games in hopes of dealing him. 

Teams will try to pursue other impact players such as Bradley Beal, Zach LaVine and Victor Oladipo ahead of the March 25 deadline, while a young playmaker like Lonzo Ball or veteran role players like JJ Redick, George Hill and P.J. Tucker could all be on the move to help contenders.

For more NBA coverage, check out B/R's surprise landing spots for the league's top trade targets.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Aren't Rondo and Gallo guaranteed for next year?  Cavs won't want that.  

Plus we aren't trading Gallo.   We need him.  He's been bad but he will be better with a more functional offense.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Aren't Rondo and Gallo guaranteed for next year?  Cavs won't want that.  

Plus we aren't trading Gallo.   We need him.  He's been bad but he will be better with a more functional offense.  

4 days ago, this guy was considered to be one of, if not THE weakest links on the team.  He's going to have to do more than play decent for more than 1 game, for me to be a believer in him.