• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

At the halfway mark of the season and some 3 weeks ahead of the trade deadline, What do the Hawks NEED to improve??

REHawksFan

2 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

No idea why Cleveland would entertain that trade.  

Because they're poised to get zero value for him.  Getting Gallo + Rondo would at least represent decent value, while also getting Gallo off of our books.

The other thing would be the Cavs just letting Drummond fall off of their books after buying him out, so that they can throw max money at Collins.

17 minutes ago, mcleitsy said:

What's the thought around this? We bring Drummond off the bench? And then Mays as our FT backup PG? And Gallo has offense, if he's not playing last night through the bulk of the 4th it would've been all Trae hero ball. Drummond is nearly unplayable in the 4th.

How many Cleveland games have you watched?  My guess would be less than 3.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, thecampster said:

When Dunn is back and healthy (should be a before the end of this month), he'll win the backup point guard job. The guy can't shoot but his defense, floor general, bbiq are all off the charts.

When back and healthy, Hunter is your starting 3. Huerter is slowly winning that 2 spot permanently and Cam will need to improve to win it back. Snell has been pretty awesome and has greatly improved his trade value and his value as a Hawk. Bogie has been pedestrian and is the least important as of right now. Bogie, Rondo, Goodwin, Bruno could all be trade bait.

Your biggest need is a good backup center when CC is benched.

Huerter can never be  the  starting 2 guard permanently with Trae . Defense is too bad.....And Hawks aren't trading Bogi imo..

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Because they're poised to get zero value for him.  Getting Gallo + Rondo would at least represent decent value, while also getting Gallo off of our books.

The other thing would be the Cavs just letting Drummond fall off of their books after buying him out, so that they can throw max money at Collins.

If we don't want Gallo and Rondo why would they?   

A lot of folks have been down on Gallo but he is and is going to be important to our team.   He didn't forget how to play in the last 5 months.   We were just a dysfunctional offense.  There is potential for that to change now.   

We can't have our big rotation be Collins/OO/Drummond/Capela.   If Collins is out we have not a single big who can score beyond 1 inch from the rim.   That won't work now or in the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Aren't Rondo and Gallo guaranteed for next year?  Cavs won't want that.  

Plus we aren't trading Gallo.   We need him.  He's been bad but he will be better with a more functional offense.  

You asked how...you didn't say "that will most certainly get done". I just provide 1 of many hows.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

If we don't want Gallo and Rondo why would they?   

A lot of folks have been down on Gallo but he is and is going to be important to our team.   He didn't forget how to play in the last 5 months.   We were just a dysfunctional offense.  There is potential for that to change now.   

We can't have our big rotation be Collins/OO/Drummond/Capela.   If Collins is out we have not a single big who can score beyond 1 inch from the rim.   That won't work now or in the playoffs.

I hate to say this, but who cares if our center . . . our Center . . . can't shoot 3s?

The big man rotation, if Drummond were here, would be Capela - Collins - Drummond . . . with "enter your favorite wing here".

You would now have the ability to keep Collins at PF full time, while playing a guy like Hunter or Solo spot minutes at the 4.

PF - Collins ( 32 ) - Hunter ( 8 ) - Solo ( 8 )

C - Capela ( 28 ) - Drummond ( 20 )

So instead of all of these bricks this team shoots, that never get gobbled up when Capela is out of the game, you now have a legit big playing with the 2nd unit that can do just what Capela does on offense.

If anything, now is the time to sell Gallo, when he's gained a little life on offense.

I like this video of Drummond, because it shows you both the good and the bad.  Unfortunately, it's against the Hawks, when Detroit beat our brains in last season.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

How many Cleveland games have you watched?  My guess would be less than 3.

Yeah I watch every Hawks game I couldn’t handle watching another trash team on the reg. 😂

It was a genuine question believe it or not.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I hate to say this, but who cares if our center . . . our Center . . . can't shoot 3s?

It's not just 3s.  I care if we have 3 out of 4 of our big rotation can't shoot at all.   Can't hit a 5 foot jumper can't shoot free throws.    We're underestimating how much we will need Gallo.   Someone has to shoot the ball and  make it.  We aren't going to win just rebounding misses.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I'm still a believer in the roster, when fully healthy and used properly.

A backup center and point guard would be nice, but they both come secondary to a playmaking wing that can hit his shots and isnt afraid to attack the rim. Matter of fact, any wing that can shoot and get to the line consistently would be a breathe of fresh air and would really open up the offense for us.

A huge portion of that is solved when Dre returns. The other is from within, Bogdan Bogdanovic. He has not hit his stride at any point with us this season, but if he does start to get cooking, look out. We could really use another perimeter ballhandler that doesnt just stand in one spot all day. Technically Kev can move too, but he is not aggressive at all, and is allergic to drawing contact. We sorely lack grit outside of Trae and our twin towers. Mays was a welcome sight the way he played fearlessly. I want to see more of that from this roster.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, thecampster said:

When Dunn is back and healthy (should be a before the end of this month), he'll win the backup point guard job. The guy can't shoot but his defense, floor general, bbiq are all off the charts.

When back and healthy, Hunter is your starting 3. Huerter is slowly winning that 2 spot permanently and Cam will need to improve to win it back. Snell has been pretty awesome and has greatly improved his trade value and his value as a Hawk. Bogie has been pedestrian and is the least important as of right now. Bogie, Rondo, Goodwin, Bruno could all be trade bait.

Your biggest need is a good backup center when CC is benched.

Schlenk on the starting SG spot:

Schlenk did say he wasn’t sure if Bogdanovic will be the team’s starting shooting guard when he’s off his minutes restriction, as it hasn’t been a topic of conversation with McMillan yet. Kevin Huerter has started in place of Bogdanovic in the meantime.

What ever we do just don't trade the guy that only needs looks to score a three. Percentage by Snell is borderline ridiculous right now but his long term rep is 40% career and can move his feet on D as well. Would like to buy him some muscles but just the same he has helped the crunch on Trae a bunch.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member

We have 8 games before the trade deadline - at Raptors, vs Kings, vs Cavs, at Rockets, vs Thunder,  then the first 3 of the Westy Roadies at Lakers, Clippers, Kings. 

We have to make a statement in the 1st 5 games of the 2nd half of the season before heading out west.

With Bogi back, and Cam hopefully so - our wing depth should have more stability.

Backup PG and C are still our weak links.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We have 8 games before the trade deadline - at Raptors, vs Kings, vs Cavs, at Rockets, vs Thunder,  then the first 3 of the Westy Roadies at Lakers, Clippers, Kings. 

We have to make a statement in the 1st 5 games of the 2nd half of the season before heading out west.

With Bogi back, and Cam hopefully so - our wing depth should have more stability.

Backup PG and C are still our weak links.

21-20 would look mighty nice heading out west.  It's not likely, but it's not impossible either with those teams on the schedule.  

• Premium Member

With Bogi back, I'm less worried about backup PG. Plus, the closer the Hawks get to the end of the season, the healthier I expect Rondo will feel.

I wouldn't mind them to grab a vet defensive big. If not a defensive one, then dump Bruno for Moose. At least he can stretch the defense.

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

With Bogi back, I'm less worried about backup PG. Plus, the closer the Hawks get to the end of the season, the healthier I expect Rondo will feel.

And Dunn. So. Yeah. As long as we really do have solid reason to expect to have both players in the playoffs, I for one am content.

Some team could make us an offer we can't refuse on Snell. But of course, by definition, it would have to be that good on our end, which, in my world, would necessitate our gaining both a legit rotation-quality vet big and a legit rotation quality second asset.

And beyond that, it would need to be a Western Conference team involved b/c we certainly want to avoid potentially eating playoff crow as best we can.

The Snell for Dieng idea is still floating out there. And while Winslow has come back and is playing relatively well, in 5 games, he's certainly not proving himself any threat from the arc still. If MEM would get desperate enough to throw-in some sweetener, would have to consider it.

But before I'd do that, I'd want to check-in on some vet big free agents that I could get for minimum contracts, and merely cutting Goodwin. I've proposed Labisierre, as well as Vonleh, as well as John Henson as options worth considering.

• Like 2