• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

At the halfway mark of the season and some 3 weeks ahead of the trade deadline, What do the Hawks NEED to improve??

REHawksFan

11 hours ago, bleachkit said:

We need a back up pg and back up center. Drafted two centers, OO and Bruno, but useless. Signed two PGs, Dunn and Rondo, both useless.

We knew Dunn would take a while to get back to healthy but he is not useless. I seriously feel like I'm the only one that ever saw him play. He has extremely good handles, a big body for the point.  His biggest flaw was playing with a Bulls team that could not shoot. Dunn is the top rated defensive guard in the league. He's next level on that end of the floor. His recovery is progressing and we'll know more post break.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kris Dunn (right ankle) is expected to make his Hawks debut by the end of March, according to Sarah Spencer of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Dunn has undergone procedures on both his right knee and right ankle this season, most recently getting a platelet-rich plasma injection into his knee on February 17. He has since resumed rehabbing from the ankle injury, and the hope is that Dunn will be able to play at some point this month. When healthy his value comes on the defensive end of the floor, so there really isn't much reason for fantasy managers to stash Dunn on their rosters. 

Mar 4, 2021, 2:12 PM ET
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, thecampster said:

We knew Dunn would take a while to get back to healthy but he is not useless. I seriously feel like I'm the only one that ever saw him play. He has extremely good handles, a big body for the point.  His biggest flaw was playing with a Bulls team that could not shoot. Dunn is the top rated defensive guard in the league. He's next level on that end of the floor. His recovery is progressing and we'll know more post break.

Great defense is taxing on the knees and the ankles. You're reacting, so the movements have to be sudden and explosive. The last two seasons have been lost to knee injuries. Hope he can stay healthy.

• Like 1

Two guys I’d like to trade for our backup center and point guard are:

For backup center I wouldn’t mind a guy like Robin Lopez from the Wiz in his last year at 7 mill or so. Would be a free agent this summer but I think he’s a guy that can set really good screens for Trae and he’s an enforcer dude off the bench. He’s got a few tricks up his sleeve on O as well but solid defender. Having said that, keep him away from Harry the Hawk cuz he might end up molesting him in one way or another as he loves mascots 😆. I’ll send Bruno and a second round pick for Lopez.

For a backup point guard I’d love Josh Hart from the Pels. He’s under contract this year and a qualifying $5 mill contract next year. Lots of talk about him but he’s the type of guy that could be your point and shooting for stretches, a really good solid smart floor general. Always liked the dude. 2 way guy. How much would he cost though I’m not spending an arm and a leg but if we can get him for a good bargain, he’s the type of dude you want on your squad.

C- Robin Lopez

PG- Josh Hart

• Like 2

Couple other targets:

PG- Corey Joseph ; got experience played in 36 games avg 6/2/2.5 ; 12.5 mill this season and 12.5 in 2021-2022. This guy is a player, not sure the same player he was on the Raps but he’s crafty and can run a squad.

PG- Raul Neto; Tough smaller dude but plenty of experience. Like Joseph I think he was better with his old team the Jazz but nevertheless he can ball and makes good reads, smart dude. Avg 7/2/2. Making just under 2 million this year and is expiring this summer. Maybe get him for Bruno and a 2nd (theme here is I’m trying to pawn ♟ off Bruno lol). 

By and large, I think interal growth if players get healthy and play together will provide the biggest bump. That may be a big if though. 

Unpopular opinion: both Gallo and Snell will regress to their career means as the season progresses (Gallo will get better, Snell will get worse). That's why I would be more reluctant to trade Gallo or more open to trading Snell than many here. 

I like the Dieng for Snell trade floated out there. 

Injuries are always going to happen every year. Most years it seems we start off healthy and then lose guys to injuries at the end (ECF year, for example). I'm hoping this year we get the reverse of that...bulk of our injuries up front, then head into the playoffs at full strength. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, thecampster said:

I'm very high on the impact a healthy Dunn can have for us.  Availability is likely why bleach said he was useless to date.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Jarring, at-first, thought last night as I debated some things before falling off to sleep.

Would this possibly be a moment to pursue Cousins?

He's 30. You'd anticipate some maturity now that wasn't there before.

He's played pretty much all season for HOU, until his release. So, seemingly healthy.

He's been reasonably productive. So, seemingly a pretty decent add to the low post inventory.

Not saying he'd come to ATL, but just tossing it out there in-theory that he could be a serious booster shot, a quality big for the post-season run.

Seemingly pretty clearly... if you could sign a rotation-or-better-quality big to a vet minimum, it's a better alternative to let go of a 4th or 5th PG in Goodwin (granted, at that point that Dunn gets back) than to part ways with Snell.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 8:39 AM, bird_dirt said:

Unpopular opinion: both Gallo and Snell will regress to their career means as the season progresses (Gallo will get better, Snell will get worse). That's why I would be more reluctant to trade Gallo or more open to trading Snell than many here. 

I like the Dieng for Snell trade floated out there. 

If both regressed to their career averages as the season went along, Snell would still shoot better from 3 than Gallo. Matter of fact, Snell would still have the highest 3pt% on the team. 

Snell is a career .392 shooter.
Gallo is .382

Fun fact; Gallo is actually shooting above his career average right now too at .388, so he would actually get worse as the season goes along.

Yes, Gallo shoots more volume from 3, but even their current and career eFG% favors Snell heavily over Gallo.

Snell is very underrated and is an extremely efficient offensive piece for us. On a roster where most of our wings can't even scratch from deep, I would not get rid of the most consistent shooter we have for a backup center.

The volatility and health of our wing rotation has been a much bigger contributor to our poor play. How many wide open shots are guys missing every night? Snell has been the first guy to actually punish teams for leaving him. That's the whole idea behind building around Trae. Im serious about rewarding Snell with a contract. I'd rather trade inconsistent players like Kev and Cam before reliable and steady ones like Snell.

Speaking of Cam, his trade value may never again be as high as it was this past offseason if he doesn't turn it around in a big way. We shot down every offer to keep this kid around, I hope it pays off.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I'd rather trade inconsistent players like Kev and Cam before reliable and steady ones like Snell.

For where we are coming out of this rebuild, I wouldn't. They are inconsistent because they lack NBA experience. Cam has played 84 NBA games (barely a year under his belt), Huerter 167. Snell has played 524 games. 

1st year comparison between Reddish and Snell:

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=snellto01&p1yrfrom=2014&player_id2=reddica01&p2yrfrom=2020

The way Snell is playing at the moment, it allows a more measured approach with Cam and his minutes. It gives us options in our rotations.

If the Hawks were already making the playoffs, that's a move that may make sense where you trade them for a much better player. But I'm definitely not trading them just to keep Snell.

The Hawks are Snell's 4th team in his 8 years, why does he keep getting traded?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

For where we are coming out of this rebuild, I wouldn't. They are inconsistent because they lack NBA experience. Cam has played 84 NBA games (barely a year under his belt), Huerter 167. Snell has played 524 games. 

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=snellto01&p1yrfrom=2014&player_id2=reddica01&p2yrfrom=2020

The way Snell is playing at the moment, it allows a more measured approach with Cam and his minutes. It gives us options in our rotations.

If the Hawks were already making the playoffs, that's a move that may make sense where you trade them for a much better player. But I'm definitely not trading them just to keep Snell.

He's not a GM, he's thinking short minded. He's just calling it how he currently sees it. TS ain't trading Kevin or Cam. He would need a superstar or legit star and those just aren't getting traded for Cam and Kevin types. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's not a GM, he's thinking short minded. He's just calling it how he currently sees it. TS ain't trading Kevin or Cam. He would need a superstar or legit star and those just aren't getting traded for Cam and Kevin types. 

Cam has fallen from grace. I was his biggest supporter and even pushed for him to start this year. If he ever reaches his true potential it may take 5 to 7 seasons versus the 3 that you pushed. I don't even agree that he should focus on only shooting open shots anymore. He just isnt good enough to be given that role.

Trae may be well out of dodge by the time Cam comes around. I don't doubt his talent and potential, but he very well could end up being the Harrison Barnes of this rebuild.

57 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I dont see Snell as a better talent. But a wing with size that can consistently knockdown shots is a commodity. One that teams are constantly trying to get their hands on. Players like Matt Barnes, Ariza, Wes Matthews, all changed multiple teams, but were always valuable wherever they went. Heck, the only reason we have Capela on our team is because Houston would do whatever they could just to get their hands on Covington, who despite being THEE premier 3-D wing in the NBA today is on his 4th team in the last 4 years.

I don't think Snell changing teams is an indictment on him as much as it is the nature of this league if you find a niche as a role player. Somebody else is always willing to pay you for the thing you do well.

I think our fanbase sometimes has false expectations that our guys will stay put forever. In today's NBA, that is extremely rare. If Trae retire's in Atlanta, that would be a shock. There is a window of opportunity that exists and some of these guys will be casualties along the way. Timing is everything. For an All Star level type player I would gladly give up assets from our overcrowded and underachieving wing rotation. 

I say Kev because of his defensive fit with Trae (which I believe has improved actually) and his absolute inability and unwillingness to attack the rim, force contact and get to the line. That hurts our offense more than people admit. 

Cam merely because if we sell high we can net back something big and let another team focus on his long term development. He truly may not have the "it" factor he needs to fulfill his physical potential. From Duke days to now, he has lacked consistency in every facet of his game. Even his elite defense comes and goes. 

Collins is the first domino. If he gets a contract from us, then you have to cut ties with at least one of the wings inevitably. Hunter is the keeper. Bogi has the contract. Im not paying to wait for both Kev AND Cam. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

If both regressed to their career averages as the season went along, Snell would still shoot better from 3 than Gallo. Matter of fact, Snell would still have the highest 3pt% on the team. 

Snell is a career .392 shooter.
Gallo is .382

Fun fact; Gallo is actually shooting above his career average right now too at .388, so he would actually get worse as the season goes along.

Yes, Gallo shoots more volume from 3, but even their current and career eFG% favors Snell heavily over Gallo.

Snell is very underrated and is an extremely efficient offensive piece for us. On a roster where most of our wings can't even scratch from deep, I would not get rid of the most consistent shooter we have for a backup center.

The volatility and health of our wing rotation has been a much bigger contributor to our poor play. How many wide open shots are guys missing every night? Snell has been the first guy to actually punish teams for leaving him. That's the whole idea behind building around Trae. Im serious about rewarding Snell with a contract. I'd rather trade inconsistent players like Kev and Cam before reliable and steady ones like Snell.

Speaking of Cam, his trade value may never again be as high as it was this past offseason if he doesn't turn it around in a big way. We shot down every offer to keep this kid around, I hope it pays off.

I’ll take a 38.8 to 38.2 reduction to get Gallo regressing to the mean with the rest of his game.

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, sturt said:

Jarring, at-first, thought last night as I debated some things before falling off to sleep.

Would this possibly be a moment to pursue Cousins?

He's 30. You'd anticipate some maturity now that wasn't there before.

He's played pretty much all season for HOU, until his release. So, seemingly healthy.

He's been reasonably productive. So, seemingly a pretty decent add to the low post inventory.

Not saying he'd come to ATL, but just tossing it out there in-theory that he could be a serious booster shot, a quality big for the post-season run.

Seemingly pretty clearly... if you could sign a rotation-or-better-quality big to a vet minimum, it's a better alternative to let go of a 4th or 5th PG in Goodwin (granted, at that point that Dunn gets back) than to part ways with Snell.

No. It wouldn't.

You'd anticipate, sure, but you'd be... and I'd be... wrong.

Never mind.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Cam has fallen from grace. I was his biggest supporter and even pushed for him to start this year. If he ever reaches his true potential it may take 5 to 7 seasons versus the 3 that you pushed. I don't even agree that he should focus on only shooting open shots anymore. He just isnt good enough to be given that role.

Trae may be well out of dodge by the time Cam comes around. I don't doubt his talent and potential, but he very well could end up being the Harrison Barnes of this rebuild.

I dont see Snell as a better talent. But a wing with size that can consistently knockdown shots is a commodity. One that teams are constantly trying to get their hands on. Players like Matt Barnes, Ariza, Wes Matthews, all changed multiple teams, but were always valuable wherever they went. Heck, the only reason we have Capela on our team is because Houston would do whatever they could just to get their hands on Covington, who despite being THEE premier 3-D wing in the NBA today is on his 4th team in the last 4 years.

I don't think Snell changing teams is an indictment on him as much as it is the nature of this league if you find a niche as a role player. Somebody else is always willing to pay you for the thing you do well.

I think our fanbase sometimes has false expectations that our guys will stay put forever. In today's NBA, that is extremely rare. If Trae retire's in Atlanta, that would be a shock. There is a window of opportunity that exists and some of these guys will be casualties along the way. Timing is everything. For an All Star level type player I would gladly give up assets from our overcrowded and underachieving wing rotation. 

I say Kev because of his defensive fit with Trae (which I believe has improved actually) and his absolute inability and unwillingness to attack the rim, force contact and get to the line. That hurts our offense more than people admit. 

Cam merely because if we sell high we can net back something big and let another team focus on his long term development. He truly may not have the "it" factor he needs to fulfill his physical potential. From Duke days to now, he has lacked consistency in every facet of his game. Even his elite defense comes and goes. 

Collins is the first domino. If he gets a contract from us, then you have to cut ties with at least one of the wings inevitably. Hunter is the keeper. Bogi has the contract. Im not paying to wait for both Kev AND Cam. 

There is no reason to move on from a top 10 player who is 20 on a rookie deal.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

There is no reason to move on from a top 10 player who is 20 on a rookie deal.

Sounds nice. Makes sense. Cam still has to put it together. Im having doubts. Can't hit on every pick. 
Travis hit on JC, Trae, and Dre. Kev for where he was picked was also a hit if you ask me.

There is a reason we were able to get Cam at 10. There was much more doubt surrounding than there were believers. He is OUR project so of course we want to see it through. Im not mad. 

You were very early to the party on LP, doesnt mean you weren't still right in the end. I'll wait to see how he grows, but Im starting to form a picture of how this may play out, especially when its contract time for him and Dre

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

You were very early to the party on LP, doesnt mean you weren't still right in the end. I'll wait to see how he grows, but Im starting to form a picture of how this may play out, especially when its contract time for him and Dre

Pierce was easy.  Cam isn't for this reason...Cam doesn't have innate high BBIQ therefore he has to rely more on coaching than say a player like John Collins.  Pierce isn't the teacher people make him out to be otherwise players like Cam would look better on offense since Cam is very skilled on both ends already.  Cam just needs to be around a competent coach who will help him understand the game better.