• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

At the halfway mark of the season and some 3 weeks ahead of the trade deadline, What do the Hawks NEED to improve??

REHawksFan

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I just know the guy's value, if used correctly.  Our defense is ranked 24th in the league.  Playing small doesn't help us improve that metric.

And I think it's hilarious that a guy like Cousins would be welcomed here, now that he's 75% of what he once was.  When he was an all-star level player, Hawks fans in general hated him and his "empty stats".

The guy I've been beating the drum on for the past 14 months, is Andre Drummond.  Now, he's about to go to one of the top contenders for pennies on the dollar. 

And people wonder how "capped out" teams keep getting quality players.

My bad . . Hawks fans hate Drummond too.

To be fair, the Hawks defense was Top 10 before Hunter got hurt and Bruno wasn't playing much at all.  So let's not act like they need Bruno to be better at defense.  I will agree that for short stints, he helps out and I'd rather see him at C than Gallo.  But that's as far as I'd take it. 

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I just know the guy's value, if used correctly.  Our defense is ranked 24th in the league.  Playing small doesn't help us improve that metric.

And I think it's hilarious that a guy like Cousins would be welcomed here, now that he's 75% of what he once was.  When he was an all-star level player, Hawks fans in general hated him and his "empty stats".

The guy I've been beating the drum on for the past 14 months, is Andre Drummond.  Now, he's about to go to one of the top contenders for pennies on the dollar. 

And people wonder how "capped out" teams keep getting quality players.

My bad . . Hawks fans hate Drummond too.

I don't like Cousins or Drummond so I both agree and disagree with you.  Congrats?

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

To be fair, the Hawks defense was Top 10 before Hunter got hurt and Bruno wasn't playing much at all.  So let's not act like they need Bruno to be better at defense.  I will agree that for short stints, he helps out and I'd rather see him at C than Gallo.  But that's as far as I'd take it. 

Eggsactly.

• Like 1

Cousins per 48 numbers were 23.5 points, 18.6 rebounds, 5.6 assists.  Roughly that works out to 

10 points, 7 rebounds 2 assists in 20 minutes per night.  Those would be welcome averages at the 5 and or 4. I'd much rather have him at 2.5 mil for part of a season and free up the roster spot/salary next year.

• Moderators
Just now, thecampster said:

Cousins per 48 numbers were 23.5 points, 18.6 rebounds, 5.6 assists.  Roughly that works out to 

10 points, 7 rebounds 2 assists in 20 minutes per night.  Those would be welcome averages at the 5 and or 4. I'd much rather have him at 2.5 mil for part of a season and free up the roster spot/salary next year.

The downside with Cousins is whether he is all there mentally and his defense (a bit worse than usual this year).  He has always been a per minute monster and he is an underrated passer in particular.  Given his mobility, I think he is a must play at center at this point in his career (i.e., I would be loath to count on him to play minutes at the 4).  TS should talk to him and understand where his head is at if he is considering adding him to the team.  You'll just about never find someone who can put up his numbers in those minutes so whether he can buy into Nate's vision is the key.

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, sturt said:

Hmmm...

I'm sure we're not actually in the picture on this whatsoever if Aldridge eventually gets bought out... but... Lloyd Christmas ("so you say there's a chance?") just called to remind me that Aldridge really enjoyed playing for McMillan for a lot of his career.

LWR_Recording.png

• Like 3

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, sturt said:

I'm sure we're not actually in the picture on this whatsoever if Aldridge eventually gets bought out... but... Lloyd Christmas ("so you say there's a chance?") just called to remind me that Aldridge really enjoyed playing for McMillan for a lot of his career.

Good catch.  Wonder how much SA wants back.

• Premium Member

More seriously, my comment immediately above is only half-serious.

If you trust that when DAH and Cam get back, and that Dunn will make his first appearance in a real game sometime this month, then you might imagine that the heroics in the last second of last night's game wouldn't have been necessary had the team had some higher-caliber defense.

LWR_Recording.png

Given the choice of...

A) Snell + [insert name of free agent big here]

or

B) Dieng + Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

I think I want B.

Indeed, when you do the same analysis of Dieng and RHJ, they show up at the very opposite end on defensive rating on their teams over the last 5 years. Dieng, in fact, has been his team's best every time.

• Premium Member

Looking at the calendar, it's reasonable to think that Schlenk would prefer to make any deal(s) he's going to make before the team sets off on its long 8-game road trip.

If so, that gives him one week.

• Like 1