• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

WAY BACK WHEN - - - -

Gray Mule

• Premium Member

I'll start.

What was it like growing up in your parents' home? Was it the stereotypical demanding dad, nurturing mom thing? What were your siblings like, if any? How different were you from them? What was a day-in-the-life like at the earliest age you remember? How did that routine change over time?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Wow!  That's great stuff.   Born an uncle is pretty great.  

Yes i have a lot of questions.   You are a bit younger than my dad who passed last year at 91 and you came up in similar times but he grew up in the city of Atlanta so it was a different upbringing.  

But before i ask more old time questions I am curious how you became interested in the NBA.   My parents were huge sports fans but wouldn't watch an NBA game.  They'd watch pretty much everything else. 

• Thanks 1

Being raised on a farm my first job was assisting with whatever I was old enough to do.  No, I didn't get paid for what I was doing.  Helping the family to make a living was pay enough.

Feed and water the chickens.  Gather the eggs.  Help haul in the loose hay by packing it on the wagon when it was thrown up.  Picking ripe corn to feed the cattle and poultry.  Always something to do.  Both hay and corn hauled in a wagon pulled by two mules.  So was fire wood, both for heat and the cook stove.

👨‍🌾

• Premium Member

Given what you've seen and what you see now, and the comparison/contrasts between how you've seen your community, this country, and the world evolve over the decades... what makes you excited/optimistic about what life may be like for the babies being born in 2021, and what makes you concerned/pessimistic?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, sturt said:

What advancement(s) do you think we most take for granted that we most shouldn't take for granted?

Electronics.  We all depend on them working all the time.  Remember, when the date rolled over to 2000 and so many believed that we would not be able to buy groceries because the scanners in the check out line would not work.  

The latest one:  Toilet paper sold out, over and over, because of covid-19.  I still don't understand that one.

:hi:

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Electronics.  We all depend on them working all the time.  Remember, when the date rolled over to 2000 and so many believed that we would not be able to buy groceries because the scanners in the check out line would not work.  

The latest one:  Toilet paper sold out, over and over, because of covid-19.  I still don't understand that one.

And... I have to ask this follow-up, sorry... hehe.... at what age or in what year do you think you remember seeing a roll of toilet paper for the first time... and what had been the previously preferred option before that... ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sturt said:

And... I have to ask this follow-up, sorry... hehe.... at what age or in what year do you think you remember seeing a roll of toilet paper for the first time... and what had been the previously preferred option before that... ?

Growing up, we had an outhouse.  Usually had toilet paper.  If not, an old newspaper or Sears Roebuck catalog would do.

:sun:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Who was your favorite fictional mail carrier, Cliff from Cheers or Newman from Seinfeld?

Neither one.  I didn't watch their shows.

• Like 1