• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

WAY BACK WHEN - - - -

Gray Mule

4 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Neither one.  I didn't watch their shows.

:hi:

What shows if any did you watch in the 52’ tv 📺 back then? Leave it to Beaver 🦫? The Mary Tyler Moore show? 

My father is also a farm boy. Growing up I noticed he had some superhuman strength it seemed. Do you think this came from chores at a young age on the farm. Obviously I haven’t seen your physical form Gramps but from what I gather, you seem physically vibrant and strong. Is it the fresh dairy 🥛 intake as far as nutrition or chores or a combo of both and just genetics 🧬?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Did you enjoy your high school years? What was your favorite subject?  

What was the make, model and year of your first car and did you buy it yourself?

I love to read.  Saw Shakespeare in my senior class reader.  Dreaded that terribly.  However, my great teacher opened the book and began to read and, WOW! Is this what that says!

Bought my first car, a 1949 Crosley station wagon.  Kept it for about a year and drove it about 600 miles.  First real car, a 1949 Ford and I drove it a lot.  Good car.  Traded it for a new piece of junk, 1958 Ford.  You don't even see any of them now at any old car show.

👨‍🌾

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Atlanta just had 8 murdered, mostly Asian. 

😢 I heard about yesterday. Really sad. I saw the police and their statements regarding it. 

This leads me to one more question Gramps. 

What were policemen and women like when you were growing up. Has there always been a somewhat negative light on them because of their authority? Was there a time that civilians had full respect for their law enforcement or have people always been the way they are now about them?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

What shows if any did you watch in the 52’ tv 📺 back then? Leave it to Beaver 🦫? The Mary Tyler Moore show? 

My father is also a farm boy. Growing up I noticed he had some superhuman strength it seemed. Do you think this came from chores at a young age on the farm. Obviously I haven’t seen your physical form Gramps but from what I gather, you seem physically vibrant and strong. Is it the fresh dairy 🥛 intake as far as nutrition or chores or a combo of both and just genetics 🧬?

Sports.  Baseball on Saturday afternoon, game of the week.  Probably the hated Yankees.  That was summer fare.  NFL fall.  Washington Redskins the southmost team at the time.  NBA winter.

My dad was a Perry Mason fan.  He read all the books.  Finally got him to watch TV when Perry Mason came on.  Later on, Hee Haw, Wagon Train, Johnny Yuma, the rebel.  The Lone Ranger, Gene Autry and Roy Rogers. I Love Lucy, Father knows best. Lawrence Welk.  Amos and Andy, The Three Stooges.

:smug:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

(Mary Tyler Moore.... Mary Tyler Moore???... in the 50s??? Hell, D i ck Van Dyke didn't come along until the 60s. I have no words.)

Sorry Sturt I was born in the 70’s so I don’t have a reference of the 50’s shows and just took a stab at it. The stooges are the furthest back and still relatable today. Don’t punish me for being a decade late on the d*ck V Dyke though..

I grew up with the six million dollar man, eight is enough, threes company. 

ps Check your pm... 😶 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Atlanta just had 8 murdered, mostly Asian.

(Aside: This part makes me more nervous for the implication than for the actual substance... my wife being Filipino. I won't begrudge the idea that some very, very limited number of people out there are anti-Asian right now over some contempt for China's part in the pandemic. But it's so so so overblown, and needlessly potentially causing some paranoia with people like my wife, who are being led by the ever-racially-insistent corporate media to think everything is racially-oriented. This, it's turned out as far as I've heard or read, is attributable to people having vaginas more than people having a certain color of skin... and attributable to the perp's own moral/mental/internal problems.)

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Probably the hated Yankees. 

Yes sir! Still also relatable today 😆. They are the Boston Celtics of baseball for me, I really dislike them greatly. Mainly for 96 and 98 but overall as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

This part makes me more nervous for the implication than for the actual substance... my wife being Filipino. I won't begrudge the idea that some very, very limited number of people out there are anti-Asian right now over some contempt for China's part in the pandemic. But it's so so so overblown, and needlessly potentially causing some paranoia with people like my wife, who are being led by the ever-racially-insistent corporate media to think everything is racially-oriented. This, it's turned out as far as I've heard or read, is attributable to people having vaginas more than people having a certain color of skin... and attributable to the perp's own moral/mental/internal problems.

I think you have a blind spot.  

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

I think you have a blind spot.  

I embrace productive conversations, and am one to say, you cannot insult me by telling me today "you're wrong." You can only insult me by telling me "You don't care about learning how you can be more right." I've been wrong, and I'll be wrong. My ego isn't wrapped up in my conclusions. But my intent/want is to not be wrong tomorrow.

So, if you have evidence of your assertion, PM me. If you are just another person with some predisposition to accept a self-affirming conclusion, don't... ie, b/c it won't be a productive conversation. And regardless, this thread isn't the place.

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Yes sir! Still also relatable today 😆. They are the Boston Celtics of baseball for me, I really dislike them greatly. Mainly for 96 and 98 but overall as well.

Don't remember Steve Garvey playing for the Yankees...so another team was first in despite for me. The owner of the Yankees did run a very close second though. Reminds me of another recent NY jerk in the media.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Bought my first car, a 1949 Crosley station wagon.  Kept it for about a year and drove it about 600 miles.  First real car, a 1949 Ford and I drove it a lot.  Good car.  Traded it for a new piece of junk, 1958 Ford.  You don't even see any of them now at any old car show.

Wow! My first car was a 1960 Ford Falcon and it's still my daily driver.... I'm a little younger than you though. ; )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

How did you become a die hard Hawks Fan?  Have you ever been to  game?

Never been to a game and have no plans of going..  Casual fan for years.  Really became a die hard fan when I was able to watch all the games on TV.

:hi:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jdawgflow said:

You spoke of electricity being the main thing we take for granted.  

what do you think is something we should value less but we view as very important?

Actually, I mean electronics.  All the things we depend on that is all working because of those tiny chips that control everything.  Today's auto, for example, will not run at all without all that "brain" that keeps everything working correctly.

Electricity, which we all take for granted until a storm comes through and knocks it out, runs our life.  We had no electricity available here until I was probably 9 or 10 years old.  Wood burning heat and oil lamps for light.  After we did get electricity, I remember our first electric appliance, mom's new iron!

Today, we all expect everything to happen right now, from instant grits to whatever you can think of.  We are all too hurried.  My belief is, if you rush to catch up on everything, you pass up more good stuff than you ever catch up to.  Take time to stop and smell the roses.

:smug:

• Like 4

STURT:  I recall a hit song from back in my youth that goes something like this:

My Filipino baby

she's my treasure and my pet,

loving pet.

Her teeth are white and shiny

and her hair is black as jet.

Her lips are sweet as honey

and her heart is true, I know

Your words just brought that old song back to mind.  

:wub: