WAY BACK WHEN - - - -

• Premium Member

STURT:  Just had to hear this song again.  Google it.  Ernest Tubb sings it!

I remembered some of the words.

:smug:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father raised four children, three boys and an older girl.  His first wife died and he married my mom.  My sister had a daughter 1 year older than me.  I was born an uncle.  My youngest brother, 18

My pastor, who is younger than I, likes to say, "When dinasores roamed the earth."  Not that far back but when I was a young lad, what life was like here in the mountains.  Questions are invited.

Started 1st grade on my birthday.  Then, you had to be 6 to go to school.  I was 6 that day.  Ended up being the youngest boy when I graduated.  Girl came in from out of town.  Her father was military

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

STURT:  Just had to hear this song again.  Google it.  Ernest Tubb sings it!

I remembered some of the words.

hehe.... I'll have to look for that one.

• Like 1
  • Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

hehe.... I'll have to look for that one.

Please do.  I had my daughter listen and she said Sturt now has a new love song for his wife...

Original was a country hit in 1946, just after WW2.  I hadn't heard it or thought about it until now.  After listening to it again, now I can't get it out of my mind.

Listen and let me know what you think.  Google "My Filipino Baby."

:wub:

• Premium Member

What are some fun stories you have about rural mail carrying?  My Papaw did the same job for over 20 years and he had some neat stories and very devoted and kind people on his route. He often got food and desserts which I especially loved to sample as a small child.

• Like 4
  • Premium Member

Learning a new route.  I noticed the door of the mailbox was open.  When I was putting the mail in the box, a small bird flew in my face.  With a knowing grin, the regular carrier said, "Oh, I forgot to tell you.  There is a bird nesting in that box."

Summer resident.  Had a dog that was trained to fetch the mail.  Met me every day.  Dog's name was Susie.  That winter I got a post card.  I appreciate how good you were to Susie.  She passed away a few days ago.  This was sad news to me.  Then, I had to explain to my wife when she asked, "Who is Susie?"

Around Christmas, always have patrons sharing cookies and candies.  Yummy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Premium Member
1 minute ago, sturt said:

@Gray Mule, my wife couldn't tell if the lyric was "doll" faced or "dog" faced. Turns out the lyric is "dark" faced.... hehe.

Hope she likes the idea of her being your loving Filipino baby!!

:MooseGoggles:

• Like 1
  • Premium Member

December 7, 1941.  I was 5 when the US entered WW2.  But, the war had been going on for some time.  Germany on our east coast and Japan on our west coast.  Therefore, I could not remember any time in my life that a great war was not being fought.

After we entered the war, no new cars were available.  I couldn't remember any new cars Then.  Imagine the excitement when one of the senior boys brought his dad's new 1946 Ford to school to show it off!  A boy, 10 years old, gets to see his first new car!  Wow!

Before that, it was announced that the war was over and we had won.  The large, outside bell at the high school building rang and rang.  That was probably my happiest day in school.  Ever.  Our high school was the only on in the county but there were 5 other grammar schools.  Now, there is just the one school.

👨‍🌾

• Like 3
  • Premium Member

As a child during WW2, we learned to save everything because you couldn't go to the store and buy a replacement.  You made do with what you had.

Perhaps you might think that recycle is a new, modern idea.  Nope.  The great idea that someone had was to gather up all the scrap metal for the war effort.  I remember finding an old, wore out plow point.  No good to plow with but a lot of good, solid metal.  

Ration books.  Lots and lots of things could only be bought with your ration book.  That's how I once got a new pair of shoes.  It wasn't supposed to happen but I'm sure ration coupons were sold and traded.  Living in the country and on a farm meant we didn't have a lot of money and what money could buy but we always had plenty of food.  

Mom and dad always had coffee with their breakfast.  As soon as I was old enough to discover what they were having I wanted coffee too.  Mom fixed me a cup of milk with enough coffee to brown the milk.  By the time I was old enough to go to school. I had a regular cup of coffee with a tad of milk.

The summer between grammar school and high school, I had my appendix removed.  The next morning they brought my breakfast.  No coffee.  "Where's my coffee?"  "You're too young to have coffee."  Really?  Having a cup of coffee with breakfast for the past 8 years and now I'm told I'm too young to drink coffee.

"I don't eat breakfast without coffee" I told the nurse.  She left me.  Mom came back before the nurse returned with my breakfast still sitting there, untouched.  Mom told her that it was OK.  I always had coffee with breakfast.  She then brought my coffee and I had breakfast.

Waking up without coffee, to me, just ain't natural!!

👨‍🌾

• Like 3
  • Premium Member

Sad today.  Four years since cancer took my wife.

:cry:

• Sad 5
  • Premium Member

Warm thoughts to you today, Gray.

So happens that one year ago today, we lost my brother-in-law to covid.

• Sad 4
  • Premium Member
On 3/26/2021 at 1:09 PM, Gray Mule said:

Really?  Having a cup of coffee with breakfast for the past 8 years and now I'm told I'm too young to drink coffee.

hehehehe

• Thanks 1