• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Way way way too early 2021 free agency wishlist

sturt

• Premium Member
On 4/17/2021 at 5:39 PM, sturt said:

Just decided this afternoon...

I really like the idea of pursuing Patty Mills in free agency to fill that primary backup PG slot.

I really like the idea of wrestling Kyle Anderson away from MEM in a draft night trade... just think he's the kind of glue guy with some defensive skins on the wall who would fit perfectly.

Given some further study and thought, I've decided Kyle Anderson probably isn't a viable option--he's just having too good of a year that it's hard to imagine they'll be open to moving him.

But one door seems to close, another door seems to open...

I'm warming to the thought that you could make a very Hawks-friendly deal for someone who's occasionally been cited as among the best LBJ defenders in the league; and too, would represent yet another Georgia transplant's (of-sorts) return to his (US) home.

That is, the Bulls and Billy Donovan do not appear to be especially persuaded that Al-Farouq Aminu is a fit for whatever style they're trying to employ... 16 games in the Windy City have resulted in only 3 appearances so far, and it's not apparently anything injury-related.

Since CHI has dealt their 2021 FRP to ORL in the Vucevic deal, I'm offering ours, theoretically/hypothetically in return for theirs, lottery protected of course, for 2022.

2021-04-24_16-28-06.png

15 hours ago, sturt said:

Given some further study and thought, I've decided Kyle Anderson probably isn't a viable option--he's just having too good of a year that it's hard to imagine they'll be open to moving him.

But one door seems to close, another door seems to open...

I'm warming to the thought that you could make a very Hawks-friendly deal for someone who's occasionally been cited as among the best LBJ defenders in the league; and too, would represent yet another Georgia transplant's (of-sorts) return to his (US) home.

That is, the Bulls and Billy Donovan do not appear to be especially persuaded that Al-Farouq Aminu is a fit for whatever style they're trying to employ... 16 games in the Windy City have resulted in only 3 appearances so far, and it's not apparently anything injury-related.

Since CHI has dealt their 2021 FRP to ORL in the Vucevic deal, I'm offering ours, theoretically/hypothetically in return for theirs, lottery protected of course, for 2022.

2021-04-24_16-28-06.png

If you call him Chief I swear I’ll walk Stu.. there’s only one chief.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

To no one in particular, someone might say, "yes, the thread title is absolutely correct... let's just enjoy what's going on right here and now... stay in the moment... it makes no sense to already be speculating about what the off-season might bring."

So here's my reaction to that.

This is the kiddie ride. The build-up to the real fun. I'm enjoying it as such.

Next season begins the big thrill.

And I'm (obviously) anxiously anticipating what our first serious assault on a conference championship since the late 80s may look like... the real fun, the really big ride.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Just going to put this here on May 8, 2021... there is a scenario that could develop that could make me really interested in a bringing back a Moose to the ATL roster... like, yeah, that Moose.

I seem to recall someone else here proposing him back during the trade deadline.

At the time, I discounted it, pending some reason to believe that King oKong's trajectory would become clearer. A few games doth not a trajectory make, but by the time we close the book on the 2020-21 season and post-season, it could be clear enough.

We need a serious defensive asset besides Capela. If Kong becomes that, then it frees up some latitude to go get a Moose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/3/2021 at 1:00 PM, sturt said:

LWR_Recording.png

Perhaps the main/best blessing of waiting to sign JC is that it potentially allows you to sign a second-tier asset in July.

Assuming the season ended today, who would be your prime target?

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/#

LWR_Recording.png

I realize we have a few games left yet, of course, and it will be exciting to see just how many we might win... but yeah, I'm already 90% wading into the 2021-22 pool, and so the "way way way too" part of the thread's title has vanished over here on my side of the internet. It's early, but just early.

The storyline, to-date, reminds me of Ocean's Eleven, and the build-up in the first part where you see all the interesting mix of personalities and skills coming together to do something insanely difficult and exciting. With this season, we mostly know the cast, but there are some tweaks to be made and some voids to be filled among those in the supporting actor category.

All that to say, I'm at a place where I'm arguing with myself how best to maximize our cap space and maximize the new talent.

Conclusions so far are that we really only have one slot in the depth chart that both will be unfilled and will be attractive because of the 20-ish minutes that its 2021-22 occupant will get

That would be back-up point guard.

Any other slots that are open won't be as appealing because they are only likely to get minutes according to injury frequency among the first 10. So, the first priority, naturally, becomes identifying someone who can be Lou Williams, but a notch or two better.

I'm on record that, of the likely free agents, Patty Mills seems to be the most rational option, all things considered.

I'm also on record that even in what is regarded as a deep draft, it's not rational to presume that you're going to get at #19 or worse a plug-and-play back-up point guard whose impact will contribute even as much as LouWill might have. And we're obviously at a different phase now where we have to think more in terms of acquiring players who are plug-and-play, less in terms of drafting a player to fill an important pending need. So, it is sensible to punt the 2021 pick if at all possible to 2022 or beyond; but even if that doesn't work out to be able to do that, the salience of the back-up PG slot is too much to hand to a kid. We need someone who, for the most part, is a known quantity.

So, free agency... draft.... what about trade? That's the new line of thought I've only now begun to explore.

(Aside: Maybe eventually the topic will deserve its own thread, but for now, I'm just going to be content to subsume it under this thread.)

Trade is dicey. Trade, of course, by definition, means you're giving up something that another team values in exchange for some asset you value--and so, as a result, it's generally the case that it's a 50/50 gamble that what you lose in the trade will or won't prove to be more valuable than what you gained.

Unless... you find a team in a circumstance where what they value happens to be salary relief, and with that, your team just happens to have sufficient room to accommodate what they're wanting.

If we were to find some situation like that, what would we want that asset to look like?

Well, first off, this LouWill acquisition has taught me that we should most value a player that mirrors Trae to some degree in terms of scoring threat and ability to distribute. Second, it's necessary for the player's 2021-22 salary to be congruent with what we're able to accommodate (ostensibly, in the neighborhood of $12-$14m).

So, just those two qualifiers narrow down the field significantly. From that pool, one player stands out, at least so far...

Like LouWill, he's played PG, but he's most typically been considered a SG... he has strong GA roots... he's someone who it's been speculated Schlenk has had a high regard for... and, he's been playoff-tested in recent years...

Unlike LouWill, he actually has a ring... he's in his prime NBA years... and he's regarded, depending on who's evaluation you prefer, as an average-to-very-good defender.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

Why would the Lakers give up KCP, though?

All I can tell you is that it was widely thought they were giving him up at the trade deadline, whether in a deal that would bring Kyle Lowry to them, or if only to slice off some salary. Lakers bloggers I've read routinely thought he was a goner one way or the other.

What would they require in return?

Ah, the proverbial $64,000 question. On its face, it would seem that a team in that situation wouldn't want any tangible current asset in return, since the whole point is to shed salary for the purpose of future player acquisition agility/latitude. It naturally follows that the answer is "draft picks." We have some inventory there, but then the question is complicated by the possibility that others with similar or better inventory would also pursue acquiring KCP. It's by no means one of those no-brainer deals since the price could easily get bid up too high to accept, and while he's good, he's not that good.

I don't love the idea, but I like it a lot... just depends on the price.

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

McCollum may not be "great" and he has an uncle-bod but he's more of a winner than Badley.

Enjoy your win, spud.

Thanks but I think you won that one. Beal is a jerk lol but he’s a lot more talented and a higher ceiling than boney 🦴 MColl. 

What are the eggsperts saying about the Blazers. I’m all for keeping teams together but if that backcourt doesn’t get past the Nuggets without Murray in round 1, they need to be dismantled it’s over. They will never trade Lillard so bones 🦴 is a goner this summer. Prolly back to Philly after they get bounced by the Wizards in a shocker! 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2021 at 12:47 PM, Spud2nique said:

Thanks but I think you won that one. Beal is a jerk lol but he’s a lot more talented and a higher ceiling than boney 🦴 MColl. 

What are the eggsperts saying about the Blazers. I’m all for keeping teams together but if that backcourt doesn’t get past the Nuggets without Murray in round 1, they need to be dismantled it’s over. They will never trade Lillard so bones 🦴 is a goner this summer. Prolly back to Philly after they get bounced by the Wizards in a shocker! 

POR needs a shake-up.  I think Stotts is gone but they probably need to trade Chuk too.

On a similar note, I think LAC will need a roster shake-up after they get ousted by a less talented team than them.  I know Leonard is invested in the south CA thing but I think he'll regret it from a 'winning' standpoint because I don't think they're gonna win there.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 4/24/2021 at 5:16 PM, sturt said:

That is, the Bulls and Billy Donovan do not appear to be especially persuaded that Al-Farouq Aminu is a fit

On 5/18/2021 at 12:25 PM, sturt said:

So, just those two qualifiers narrow down the field significantly. From that pool, one player stands out, at least so far...

Like LouWill, he's played PG, but he's most typically been considered a SG... he has strong GA roots... he's someone who it's been speculated Schlenk has had a high regard for... and, he's been playoff-tested in recent years...

Unlike LouWill, he actually has a ring... he's in his prime NBA years... and he's regarded, depending on who's evaluation you prefer, as an average-to-very-good defender.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

Just for schucks and giggles...

• Premium Member

Seeing some Mavs media (who also cover my Cowboys) tweeting today that they have visions of an LAC first round exit and Kawhi landing in Dallas to play beside whatshisname.

Made me think...

Premise 1: Kawhi wants to come to ATL and play with Trae.

Premise 2: Schlenk is open to that.

Premise 3: LAC will do a deal, but it will take a S&T of Collins plus 2021 and 2023 FRPs, and pick swaps in 2022 and 2024.

Note... the premises are hypothetical in nature, obviously... so... less interested in arguments with the premises... more interested (obviously?) in how individuals react to the question, given those premises...

And thus... thx to those of you who indulge me in the question...

Question: Do you say "yes?" And if you say "no," do you counter, and if so, how do you counter?

23 minutes ago, sturt said:

Seeing some Mavs media (who also cover my Cowboys) tweeting today that they have visions of an LAC first round exit and Kawhi landing in Dallas to play beside whatshisname.

Made me think...

Premise 3: LAC will do a deal, but it will take a S&T of Collins plus 2021 and 2023 FRPs, and pick swaps in 2022 and 2024.

Question: Do you say "yes?" And if you say "no," do you counter, and if so, how do you counter?

"A bird in hand is worth two in the brush."  What we already have is worth more than what there might be out there in the trade market."

👨‍🌾

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sturt said:

Made me think...

I say heII naw! I'd rather just trade Gallo and Bogi for a cheaper, younger promising asset and then just sign Kawhi outright with capspace.

1 hour ago, GameTime said:

Dragic/Rose should be targets to replace Lou

Just came here to ask what’chall think about signing Rose as backup? Personally? I’ll allow it ✔️

1 hour ago, GameTime said:
  • Like 3