Way way way too early 2021 free agency wishlist

sturt

I say we bring in the guy thats cooking us every game right now as the guy to handle the rock when Trae is getting a breather.  Rose is still a hell of a player and is still good for another 2 years atleast.  Give him the same type of deal we gave Rondo and run with it.  Having a legit backup PG of his caliber would be huge for this team. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Threezus said:

I say we bring in the guy thats cooking us every game right now as the guy to handle the rock when Trae is getting a breather.  Rose is still a hell of a player and is still good for another 2 years atleast.  Give him the same type of deal we gave Rondo and run with it.  Having a legit backup PG of his caliber would be huge for this team. 

I would be all for it, except Rose seems like the kind of guy that will show loyalty to Thibs and you know Thibs will want to keep him around. I doubt he leaves the NYK. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

I would be all for it, except Rose seems like the kind of guy that will show loyalty to Thibs and you know Thibs will want to keep him around. I doubt he leaves the NYK. 

I fully believe he will stay in NY as well and thats another reason i like rose is his loyalty.  But if he does come free i don't see a better option than him for the next 2 years or so for the value he would bring on a contract he is expected to get.

• Like 1

A while back because of his lifestyle ethical stuff would probably not have but am amazed at what Rose has right now playing wise. Thought his age and injury history would have slowed him down. Knicks would be done already without him in this series. Maturity and second chances are very valuable we all know. What a one two punch Trae and Rose would make. We would also always have Bogi or Kevin on the floor too when they are. Bad ass backcourt rotation with those four. And Cam is the mystery date wing for us next season to boot.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

While the reality is that we may have little choice but to look to a PG on his last non-minimum contract to run the second unit, whether that's a DRose or Patty Mills type, I'm one of those inclined to believe Schlenk will examine hard an option that he can sign-up for a 3-year deal with strong confidence that the player will be just as stout in the last year as the first year.

As such... believe he's going to highly value the prospect of continuity so that he's not juggling a new person in that role each season of this new legitimate-contender era we're anticipating transitioning into. And at the same time, it's taken for granted of course, there's going to be a limit on just how much he's able/willing to pay.

I’d love to bring everyone back but JC turned down 4 years 90 million. That’s 22.5 a year for a possible 28 a year. It hurts but he should’ve taken the offer it was and is fair. It’s really hard to pay 28 million to what you’re fifth best player. Trae Bogi Clint Hunter. And JC does things that can be replaced. You can’t replace what Trae does. JC will sign for less than max maybe for what we originally offered and we’ll keep it rolling. If he wants max then there’s options out there that won’t restrict the team long term.

2 minutes ago, timebomb said:

I’d love to bring everyone back but JC turned down 4 years 90 million. That’s 22.5 a year for a possible 28 a year. It hurts but he should’ve taken the offer it was and is fair. It’s really hard to pay 28 million to what you’re fifth best player. Trae Bogi Clint Hunter. And JC does things that can be replaced. You can’t replace what Trae does. JC will sign for less than max maybe for what we originally offered and we’ll keep it rolling. If he wants max then there’s options out there that won’t restrict the team long term.

I've been saying this but these guys refuse to listen. It's hard to justify this but are options are limited.

• Like 1

Agreed. And let's not forget that Heurter is working himself into a decent payday himself. It's quickly approaching a time where we are no longer going to be asking who else can we add, but how long can we afford to keep all of these guys together. 

Collins isn't worth much more than 90 million to us, if that. Not if he wants to stay here long term. That being said, we should match any offer he gets, knowing we can and probably will end up trading him when the time is right. 

13 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Agreed. And let's not forget that Heurter is working himself into a decent payday himself. It's quickly approaching a time where we are no longer going to be asking who else can we add, but how long can we afford to keep all of these guys together. 

Collins isn't worth much more than 90 million to us, if that. Not if he wants to stay here long term. That being said, we should match any offer he gets, knowing we can and probably will end up trading him when the time is right. 

So if the Mavericks offer JC a max we should match? Or just persuade a sign and trade and get a second round pick. Then with all the saved money sign a Kelly Oubre for half the cost and get maybe Rose to replace Lou and try and keep Hill and Snell. 

Edit you could actually get Paul Milsap for probably next to nothing, replace some of JCs production not dip a whole lot and keep your options and money open for a difference maker in the future.

Edited by timebomb

26 minutes ago, timebomb said:

The emergence of Hunter and signing of Capela really makes this tricky. We aren't using Collins to his "maximum" ability offensively with Capela on the court. He has shown that he can adjust his game to make it work, but he is not going to be the 20-10 budding All-Star he was a year ago as the 4th option on the court.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, GameTime said:

The emergence of Hunter and signing of Capela really makes this tricky. We aren't using Collins to his "maximum" ability offensively with Capela on the court. He has shown that he can adjust his game to make it work, but he is not going to be the 20-10 budding All-Star he was a year ago as the 4th option on the court.

Frankly, I hope this and the RFA price depression ends up keeping his contract in a reasonable range but  I just don't see walking away from him or taking a second or something to let our 23 year old go.  4 years from now he'll be 27.  If we need to unload Gallo to make room or something, I'd prefer that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'll resign JC to an overpay and look to move him later if we have to rather than get Oubre and a $10M or so FA (which is what I think Rose will likely get if he is willing to leave NY) to go with Solo, etc.

This is really it for me all along as well. You have to retain your own assets even if you are looking to go a different way AS LONG AS THEY ARE LOOKED AT AS A POSITIVE AROUND THE LEAGUE. That way you flip them as they are a commodity.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, timebomb said:

So if the Mavericks offer JC a max we should match? Or just persuade a sign and trade and get a second round pick. Then with all the saved money sign a Kelly Oubre for half the cost and get maybe Rose to replace Lou and try and keep Hill and Snell. 

Yuuuuck!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think we have quite seen anyone's full potential yet. Nate has these guys playing 2 way basketball, playing the right way, sacrificing and trusting each other. 

JC may never put up 20 and 10 numbers again on this roster, but nor will anyone else that is due for a pay day. Hunter, Kev, and Cam's production will all take a hit as you can see. So I do not foresee a scenario in which any of them will ask for a boatload of money unless they plan to leave town for a featured role. 

That being said, from a roster construction stand point alone. Trae, Bogi and Clint are locks. Gallo has his deal. Then you have 3 wings looking for a payday for 1 available starting spot and 2 bench spots. Odds are, we lose one of them before we let our starting PF who plays backup center walk out the door. 

The domino's have been set in place. Kev, Dre, and Cam won't all make it here long term unless 2 of them decide to be backups and get paid like it. 

We don't have to make a decision on Dre and Cam until 2023, the same year that Gallo and Clint fall off the books.

2022 is the real doozey. Trae and Kev are both due, obviously Trae's will be significant. And we are still carrying the last year of Gallo's deal.

We are not in a bad spot, especially if Schlenk can manipulate some cap to defer until 2023. Idk if they can do this in the NBA like they do the NFL. But there is enough to lock in John and potential be taxpayers for only one season in 2022, which is right around the time you would expect us to be competing for rings.

I forget my point.... 25 mil for John, done.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I don't think we have quite seen anyone's full potential yet. Nate has these guys playing 2 way basketball, playing the right way, sacrificing and trusting each other. 

JC may never put up 20 and 10 numbers again on this roster, but nor will anyone else that is due for a pay day. Hunter, Kev, and Cam's production will all take a hit as you can see. So I do not foresee a scenario in which any of them will ask for a boatload of money unless they plan to leave town for a featured role. 

That being said, from a roster construction stand point alone. Trae, Bogi and Clint are locks. Gallo has his deal. Then you have 3 wings looking for a payday for 1 available starting spot and 2 bench spots. Odds are, we lose one of them before we let our starting PF who plays backup center walk out the door. 

The domino's have been set in place. Kev, Dre, and Cam won't all make it here long term unless 2 of them decide to be backups and get paid like it. 

We don't have to make a decision on Dre and Cam until 2023, the same year that Gallo and Clint fall off the books.

2022 is the real doozey. Trae and Kev are both due, obviously Trae's will be significant. And we are still carrying the last year of Gallo's deal.

We are not in a bad spot, especially if Schlenk can manipulate some cap to defer until 2023. Idk if they can do this in the NBA like they do the NFL. But there is enough to lock in John and potential be taxpayers for only one season in 2022, which is right around the time you would expect us to be competing for rings.

I forget my point.... 25 mil for John, done.

Gallo's last year is not fully guaranteed. Trae will more than likely get an early max extension this offseason, they'll try to negotiate one with Huerter as well, if they can't get a good deal he'll be a RFA like John is this year.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Y’all makin me sad as hell. Lol. So you’re saying contractually speaking we are gonna be in a pretzel 🥨 so enjoy this roster and this playoff run?

☑️ 

Don't be sad. The salaries and cap are what they are. We are still growing and have not accomplished much except being up 3-1 in the best of 7. Enjoy it, the rest will see for itself.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Gallo's last year is not fully guaranteed. Trae will more than likely get an early max extension this offseason, they'll try to negotiate one with Huerter as well, if they can't get a good deal he'll be a RFA like John is this year.

How does an early extension work. Is it like the NFL with Mahommes where he signed the extension but is still playing out the final years of his original contract before it kicks in? Or does it kick in right away?

The only reason I think we would sign him early is if if allows us lock him in without hurting us in the short term.

Again, NBA contracts confuse the heck out of me, I'm referencing NFL tactics and how they prorate everything to soften the blow. I guess since everything in the NBA is fully guaranteed, money is what it is, exactly when it says it is.