• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Way way way too early 2021 free agency wishlist

sturt

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I'll resign JC to an overpay and look to move him later if we have to rather than get Oubre and a $10M or so FA (which is what I think Rose will likely get if he is willing to leave NY) to go with Solo, etc.

This. 

We almost have to have JC on the roster next year if we really want to compete. OO hasn't proven yet that he can take a large amount of minutes yet if he would be asked to play more backup 5, or possibly even some minutes at 4. I do think he'll get there next year, but he hasn't proven it yet so you can't count on it from a roster construction perspective. 

Also, the other option would be to use Hunter primarily as a 4, like most other teams do nowdays with a smaller stretch 4 that can guard more perimeter players for switchability -- before anyone says Hunter isn't a PF, in case anyone hasn't noticed the traditional power forward is a dying breed. That is one of the main reason's we are even having this discussion of Collins' value in the first place. 

Back to the point - a possible Hunter at primarily a 4 - In order for that to happen we really need Cam to show he can start at SF, or at least be a top backup and slide Heurter into that spot. Otherwise our depth in the 2nd unit will take a big hit. We can resign Snell, but we see from the playoffs how valuable he really is to us, which is not much. 

So we really need JC for at least the first half of next year to see if OO or Cam step up and give us the option to trade JC or not. And if neither do, then we obviously need to hold on to JC. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Don't be sad. The salaries and cap are what they are. We are still growing and have not accomplished much except being up 3-1 in the best of 7. Enjoy it, the rest will see for itself.

We knew what we signed up for after free agency. And honestly, if things look bad for this rendition of the Hawks, we have the ability to hit reset in a couple of years once all the veteran contracts come off the books. And we dont HAVE to resign our core pieces.

But in all likelihood, all the draft picks and fee agents are panning out exactly how we hoped. We can add via sign and trade if there is a big name we like, or stick with this unit. The most important question is, are we willing to go in to the luxury, and by all accounts, we are, and that's all that matters really. We have a window to become contenders and hopefully attract someone big time to run with Trae before we have to trim the excess fat.

• Premium Member

As long as these 21-23 year olds continue to develop into what Schlenk envisioned them to be, and as long as Ressler is genuine in his contentment to pay tax, I've got almost zero worries that the core of this team will remain intact.

Who is the core of this team?

That's being figured out between now and this time next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sturt said:

As long as these 21-23 year olds continue to develop into what Schlenk envisioned them to be, and as long as Ressler is genuine in his contentment to pay tax, I've got almost zero worries that the core of this team will remain intact.

Who is the core of this team?

That's being figured out between now and this time next year.

That's the right take. We can keep everyone on this roster if Ressler is willing to pay the tax. Which if we're having postseason success, I think we should be fine because Ressler's money is not the only money invested in the team. The main thing moving forward is determining whether we have the right players next to Trae, and a possible consolidation of assets to get a better player.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

How does an early extension work. Is it like the NFL with Mahommes where he signed the extension but is still playing out the final years of his original contract before it kicks in? Or does it kick in right away?

If he signs his early extension this offseason, it won't kick in until the following season so he'll be playing next season on his rookie contract.

25 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

That's the right take. We can keep everyone on this roster if Ressler is willing to pay the tax. Which if we're having postseason success, I think we should be fine because Ressler's money is not the only money invested in the team. The main thing moving forward is determining whether we have the right players next to Trae, and a possible consolidation of assets to get a better player.

agreed

For next year FA we clearly need a backup PG and a big Center, this will be clear if we advance and play the Sixers. Wether we add them by draft or FA is still on the air but clearly we need an upgrade there. 

Of course we need Collins back and I would try to keep Snell. 

My prefered options would be Dinwiddie but perhaps more realistic options could be McConnell, Payton, Cameron Payne, Frank Jackson

For Center I see a lot of options for a backup C that could play a significant role on playoffs in particular, Dieng, Dedmon, Noel, McGee, Witheside, Zeller, Robin López, even stealing Holmes would be huge but he is small. My preference would be Dieng.

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If he signs his early extension this offseason, it won't kick in until the following season so he'll be playing next season on his rookie contract.

Then yes, I'm all for it lol

I mean either way, if we are going to take care of anybody, its going to be Trae. So we would bite the bullet regardless.

The 2022-23 season is the one that looms over us from a cap perspective. 2023 and beyond depending on what we decide to do with Clint, Dre and Cam. 

Clint will only be 29 when he becomes a free agent, and depending on some of his chronic injuries, he could be a highly sought after big man and get his biggest contract to date. That's why OO's development is so crucial. His club option is due the exact same year Clint becomes a free agent.

Schlenk may know a thing or two about building a team long term.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

ATL Summer League star is now 28 and lighting it up for the St. Petersburg entry in Euroleague... personally, I consider the backup PG role to be too vital to hand it to someone who isn't NBA-proven, but if Schlenk's opinion was high enough that he decided to sign him, I wouldn't flinch. He definitely passes the eyeball test from where I sit...

https://ca.nba.com/news/kevin-pangos-canadian-euroleague-star-reveals-the-two-things-that-kept-basketball-desire-burning/1ud93c893swvn1f9pxdqlo2hdg

https://www.euroleague.net/news/i/bj8g4jqdxwvr8k3w/kevin-pangos-is-voted-to-all-euroleague-first-team

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/olympic-games/1211183/no-pangos-in-the-canadian-selection-for-the-olympic-qualifying-tournament/

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/canadian-kevin-pangos-likely-wont-make-jump-europe-nba/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

How does an early extension work. Is it like the NFL with Mahommes where he signed the extension but is still playing out the final years of his original contract before it kicks in? Or does it kick in right away?

The only reason I think we would sign him early is if if allows us lock him in without hurting us in the short term.

Again, NBA contracts confuse the heck out of me, I'm referencing NFL tactics and how they prorate everything to soften the blow. I guess since everything in the NBA is fully guaranteed, money is what it is, exactly when it says it is.

Some things in the NBA aren't fully guaranteed like Gallo's last season.  The third year of his current contract is for over $21M but it is only guaranteed for $5M.  Most contracts, however, are fully guaranteed.

For Trae, he will cost us $8.3M next season regardless of whether he does an early extension or not.  So that just means that we have locked him in for his next deal starting in the 2022-23 season.

• Like 1

I’d like to bring back Snell, Mays, and Solo.

I’d like for Dunn and Lou to walk.

Id love to bring in Horton-Tucker and Kenny Nunn.

I’m no capologist so I trust whatever decision Schlenk makes on The Baptist. Always liked the kid but if his departure is ultimately advantageous for the franchise’s future so be it.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Just now, capstone21 said:

Resign JC, resign Solo just for the locker room and sign TJ as our scrappy backup point guard and maybe Georgui Dieng as our 3rd center or until OO is fully ready.

The idea that T.J. would come isn't realistic. He basically starts for Indy and plays big mins which is what he wants. He can't get that in Atlanta

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The idea that T.J. would come isn't realistic. He basically starts for Indy and plays big mins which is what he wants. He can't get that in Atlanta

The time to get him was the 2019 offseason when it would have been very easy to outbid the $3.5M per year contract he signed.  He will get a big increase and play a big role with his next team.